• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Beerbreath's Glog 2014---There are many like it, but this one is mine

Lets start with a list heres mine....in no particular order 

Peppers---
Barrackpore
Yellow pointed pepper
Golden Habanero
Heart Throb Pepper
Zimbabwe Bird Pepper
Santa Fe
Inca Lost
Antillias Caribbean Habanero
Large Thick Cayenne
Cayenne Chili
Scotch Bonnet---Yellow & Red
Caribbean Red Habanero
Goldfinger
Fatalli---Yellow & Red
Datil
Manzano--Red
Aji Limo
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga--Red
Peter Pepper--Red
Aji Lemon Drop
Rooster Spur
Scorpion Tounge
Aji Brazilian Pumpkin
Devils Tounge--Yellow
White Habanero
Trinidad Scorpion---Yellow
Bhut Jolokia--Red/Yellow/Peach
Carolina Reaper
Pimente d' Espelette
Chimayo Pepper
Barker Numex
Brain Strain---yellow
Hot Cherry Pepper
Black Pearl
Planted/Added 1/11
Yellow Bullet Habanero
Aji Amarillo
Hot Banana-----was really hoping for this one
Birgits Locoto
Aji Brazilian Starfish
Monkey Face
Aji Cito
Aji Crystal
Chile Pequin
Trinidad Scorpion---Chocolate
Bhut Jolokia--Chocolate
Aribibi Gusano/Red Bhut Cross (F2)
Giant White Habanero
Giant Jalapeno
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga--Yellow

Tomatoes---
Health Kick Tomato
San Marzano Tomato
Goliath Tomato
Juliet Tomato
Believe it or not Tomato
Red Pear Tomato
Planted/Added 1/11
Brandywine Tomato
Marianna's Peace Tomato
MoneyMaker Tomato
Sweet Million Tomato
Zinfandel Tomato
Yellow Plum Tomato
Black Krim

Berries---started on 12/29
Loganberry
Black Rasberry

Thanks to the great people here on THP for your donations to a noob----

Sicman---
Barrackpore
(and Okra Later)

BSPH---
Red Fatalli
Yellow Devil
White Hab
Yellow Scorpion
red/peach/yellow Bhut
Carolina Reaper

Neoguy---
Pimente d' Espelette
Chimayo

Flchilehead---
Barker Numex
Yellow Brain Strain

Djinn---
Mystery seeds

MS1476---
Jalapeno
Hot Cherry
Yellow 7 Pot
While Bullet Hab
Black Pearl

Hendrix1326---
Yellow Bullet Hab
Aji Amarillo
Banana Hot
Cherry Hot
Bhut Jolokia---Red, Peach
Birgits Locoto
Brazilian Starfish
Hot Lemon Drop
Monkey Face
Aji Cito
Aji Crystal
Pequin

All other seeds came from Tradewinds seeds. Kinda stingey with their seeds but I did have close to 100% germ rate last year from them. I will be saving alot of seeds this year and plan to pay it forward in a big way. One more BIG thanks for the help on the seeds. I will edit this list as time progresses to add veggies and more berries.

Got all except those on waiting list above, planted last night, used three 50 cell trays, 3 seeds per cell. For the soil, I used three 12 QT Organic Jiffy potting mix, one 8 QT vermiculite,one 8 QT bag of Perlite and a handful of Mycos mycorrhizal inocculant. I have noticed alot on here have used coffee grounds for nitrogen and egg shells for calcuim, I may do that when i transplant. To be honest this is the first year i havent just gone and picked up some potting soil and planted my seeds.  Always have come up just fine. Curse this forum for teaching me stuff. Heat mats are another thing, I know alot of people on here use them, and i was going back and forth on whether to buy. In the end i went of past experiances, never used them in the past so this year i will not use them either.  Here is a couple facinating pics

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0457.JPG

IMG_0494.JPG

A Short Back Story---
Been growing gardens for as long as I can remember. Usually always start my own from seeds. Until last year the peppers that took up space in my garden were the oh so common Jalapeno, Serrano, bell, banana and Santa fe. We have always been big on tomatoes and cucumbers taking up the majority of our limited grow space. Usually only have enough space for about 10-15 plants. I can alot of pickles and peppers every year.  Last year I thought I would try my hand at growing a few superhots and exotics. I found tradewinds seeds and bought some

Red Habaneros
Red Bhut Jolokias
Scotch Bonnets
Aji Brazilian Pumpkin
Scorpion Tounge

My season last year was probably the worst and shortest I have had in a very long time.  I generally always start my seeds in Feb and plant outside May 1. Last year we were working on moving and I didnt get them in the ground until June 1 when we found a place to rent temporarily. The plants did okay but it was new a new place, new ground, and area was more shaded than I had hoped.  All plants produced great pods but getting them to ripen was a different story, I was afraid it was not going to happen. Then the floods came, rain, rain, rain.  There were people that were way worse off than myself during last years flooding, we did ok and were not asked to evacuate or nothin. The plants were not so happy, they started to fall over from so much ground saturation and i think started getting the root rot?. The tomatoes began bursting. All in all I only ended up with a handful of actual ripe pods. I have never tried fresh superhots before. I have always been a chilihead just not a chiligrower per se.  I can say from first bite i was hooked, the smell was something else too. I could smell that all day. My wife or kids did not agree. As you can see I have not tried ALOT of the peppers that I have planted. I have read alot of info on here and built my list accordingly. I have since moved again, I now have more than enough grow room to grow as many peppers as I want, and I plan to do just that.

Thanks for stopping by, stay tuned...and feel free to comment

Edit: Updated to delete varieties that didnt germinate

I think we had a little more weather than you guys. Spring is early this year. Just need to get out and finish the garden area. Pretty soon it will be in the upper 80s and 90s.

Update  4-11

Getting closer and closer to plant out and still so much work is left to be done.  We are currently working on some landscaping in our front yard so that has taken alot of the priority.  Plants are getting really big and I am running out of space.  I did have one (pepperocini) that i noticed was getting the signs of edema, I spead them out so they can get some more airflow and it seems to be subsiding.  I also learned the importance of spacing on my tomatoes.  I have a good sized fan blowing on them but I noticed a lot of the lower leaves were turning yellow and dying. I think I lost one tomato it has lost all its leaves exept for the top.  I have isolated it and will see what happens. I have spread all tomaots out too and all are doing really well. The trimmed/topped plants have come back really well, this was my first year trimming/topping and I am really impressed with the results. Anyway, here are some pics of the progress.

Celery
celery.jpg

Carolina Reaper
reaper.jpg

Red Bhut
bhut 1.jpg

bhut 2.jpg

Black Pearl--not trimmed/topped
black pearl.jpg

Manzano
manzano.jpg

Limo
limo.jpg

Trimmed/topped
trimmed.jpg

Top Shelf
top shelf.jpg

Bottom Shelf
bottom.jpg

OW Bhut (left)--was able to get the Tabasco to come back too
OW.jpg

Others
others.jpg

WOW. Very nice looking plants. Good color. OWs look amazing. Quick question. Are any of your plants starting to bud? Just noticed today a lot of mine are budding. Only 2 months old.

Found these on sale at local grocery store
1.jpg

these were on sale too..they were not fun to peel
2.jpg

was gonna just do normal vinegar process but thought a hot sauce soaked pepper and onion might be good so i dug up this from the basement
4.jpg

from this thread
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/44925-another-fermented-hot-sauce/

did a couple with normal vinegar/water process with added dried red moruga from pepperlover, and a couple with the hot sauce
5.jpg

vinegar recipe is here...used this last year and all turned out really good. (I add a little tumeric for color)
http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/yellow_pepper_rings.html

Devv said:
Nice looking grow, wishing you a fantastic season!
Thanks Devv, same to you on your grow

Penny said:
Amazing looking plants and updates,......well done!! :dance:  Love the pic of sponge bob peeking through the plants too :rofl:
So does my son, he LOVES Spongebob, thanks for stopping by

Svetlana said:
Nice looking peppers. Your OW Bhut goes very well !

I hope the weather gets warmer and you can soon put all these people in the ground !
Good luck
Hey Svetlana! thanks for the warm wishes and for checking out my Glog

JoeFish said:
BB your plants are looking good sucka!  Im jealous and I hope next year I can rear some like them. 
Thanks buddy, yours are looking really good too. Im sure now with the experiance you got this year you will be doing very well next year.

catherinew said:
Beautiful plants! Nice find at the grocery store.
Thanks Jane, hope your grow is going well.

Update---4-21

Wanted to start hardining off the plants this weekend so I got all moved from the basement to the garage. My plan is to keep them in the garage in in-direct sunlight for a couple weeks and then will be ready for plant out. Also made some progress on the Aquaponics and I got the OW planted in the homes for the summer. The first day they spent outside went really well the next day the wind picked up and we had about 30 MPH winds come through. The smaller "Tabasco" OW got a little beat up, had some brused leaves and some curling going on, but I think she'll be fine. Heres some pics for ya

OW before planting
1.jpg

Red Bhut Jolokia in 25 Gallon SP / Tabasco in 20 Gallon
Mix consited of:
1/2 native soil/compost mix
1/4 ProMix
1/4 Happy Frog indoor/outdoor PM
handfull of Seabird Poo (nitrogen)
handfull of Bone meal (calcium)
handfull of Mycos---was gonna use Once and Done from extreme gardening but changed mind last minute, will use somewhere else
2.jpg

Have your "helper" mix
3.jpg

Done
4.jpg

Planted some blackberries/raspberries/grapes/hydrangeas in some gallon SP will transplant later in season once i see some life
4a.jpg

Garage Plants
5.jpg

6.jpg

Basement all that remains
6a.jpg

Aquaponics
7.jpg

8.jpg

WOW. I love it when you post pics. I can't believe the progress. From day one those OWs look liked there going to get huge. My thoughts still haven't changed. Aquaponics setup looks amazing. You could sell those. Thanks for the update and good luck with everything.

thanks for all the kind words everyone
OCD Chilehead said:
Aquaponics setup looks amazing. You could sell those.
Thanks, Im actually am questioning whether I put enough thought into the load bearing items of the IBC.

The fish tank alone will weight 1600lbs full
the grow bed im guessing will be anywhere between 5-600 lbs

I know the castor wheels are good to take the weight of both items, but am concerned about the fish tank supporting the growbed like you see in the picture.  Not sure which direction I will take, I can either leave like you see and hope everything works out, or I can off-set the growbed near the back and build an extra support near the back, or build a stand alone bench for the growbed???.

beerbreath81 said:
thanks for all the kind words everyone

Thanks, Im actually am questioning whether I put enough thought into the load bearing items of the IBC.

The fish tank alone will weight 1600lbs full
the grow bed im guessing will be anywhere between 5-600 lbs

I know the castor wheels are good to take the weight of both items, but am concerned about the fish tank supporting the growbed like you see in the picture.  Not sure which direction I will take, I can either leave like you see and hope everything works out, or I can off-set the growbed near the back and build an extra support near the back, or build a stand alone bench for the growbed???.
I am thinking the bench would be good. It would provide support as well as some shade if that's an issue. Heck you could run a hydro pipe system on one side of the bench. Good luck let us know what you come up with.

Back