• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Burger Royale Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waffle burger... wait... hmmm ... actually sounding kinda good right now. I haven't ate yet today. After that massive burger last night I figured I should hold off till dinner

google says like a bazillion people already beat me to it

FriedChickenSlidersMain1_0.jpg

Pulled Pork Oversized Stuffed Burger

I wanted to try and incorporate 2 of my favorite things into one, pulled pork and a burger.  Smoked a pork butt on the WSM for 18 hours then let it rest.  It was then pulled and crisped in bacon fat and a chopped jalapeño.  Some homemade bbq sauce was then added to the pulled pork and continued to cook till heated.  All of the burger ingredients were combined and then formed into the "bowl" and then the "lid".  The pulled pork was added to the bottom patty and then I tried to seal it as best as possible.    The buns were toasted on the grill, then each side got a smear of spicy mayo.  The burgers were topped with cheddar cheese and pickle slices.   I only got through 1/2 of it as it was just too big.

Homemade onion rolls

• 2/3 cup warm milk
  • 1/3 cup warm water
  • 3 tbl honey
  • 2 eggs room temperature
  • 2 tsp IDY
  • 3 1/2 cups KAAP bread flour
  • 1.5 tsp salt
  • 3 tbl butter
  • 1/2 cup active sourdough starter
  • 1/2 cup onions chopped & sauteed in butter

Combine all ingredients and knead for six minutes, let rest for a few minutes then knead for another few minutes.  Let dough rise till it doubles, scale and ball dough for the size buns you want.  Eggwash buns, sprinkle some of the sautéed onion bits and bake at 400f for about 15 or until golden brown.

Mayo spread

• 1/2 cup tsp Dukes mayo
  • 1 heaping tsp Buddy's pecan smoked moruga puree

Burgers

• 1lb  85/15 ground beef
  • salt
  • pepper
  • garlic powder
  • worcertershire sauce
BBQ Sauce

• 4 cups ketchup
  • 1.5 cups Dark Brown Sugar
  • 1 cup Honey
  • 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1/2 cup Worchestshire Sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
  • 1 tablespoon Onion Powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground Black Pepper
  • 1 7oz. can pickled Japapeno Peppers
Combine all ingredients and let simmer for 30 minutes.

IMG_5257.JPG

IMG_5259.JPG

IMG_5260.JPG

IMG_5263.JPG

IMG_5264.JPG

grantmichaels said:
WaffleBum didn't get back to me on how to use his starter to make waffles this afternoon, so I'm not waffling ... but it's still going to be fairly inspired ...
spent the day out kayaking around the islands. Then dug a peck of clams out front of my house. Just got out of the shower and ready for a beer. I can answer any questions you may have now my friend.... :cheers:   burgers on hold until tomorrow. steamers and beer tonight  :beer:

FreeportBum said:
spent the day out kayaking around the islands. Then dug a peck of clams out front of my house. Just got out of the shower and ready for a beer. I can answer any questions you may have now my friend.... :cheers:   burgers on hold until tomorrow. steamers and beer tonight  :beer:

Not a worry, I'm doing something equally irreverent ...

This meal is pure misbehaving ...
D3monic said:
Tctenten that pulled pork looks killer. Fck the burger patty just give me a giant pile of that on mine please :)

BOOM.

Pork stuffed burger just had to be the cat's meow ...

I was originally planning to stuff a deconstructed mcrib or cabbage roll into mine, but I ended up going a slightly different route this afternoon because the Tiki Torch was calling out to me ...

Nice, tctenten ... that looks quite tasty ...

Cabbage roll would of been good, been craving something along those lines. 

pretty sure some sauerkraut is going on mine tonight. i have a bag of Bavarian sitting in the fridge. 

D3monic said:
Cabbage roll would of been good, been craving something along those lines. 

pretty sure some sauerkraut is going on mine tonight. i have a bag of Bavarian sitting in the fridge. 

Publix didn't have cabbage, or napa cabbage yesterday ... which was weird.

I bought bok choy, but I didn't really have the motivation to head that direction for a 2nd entry ...

The inside-out cabbage rolls were what I really wanted to make ...
woot.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434319830.127511.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434319840.694262.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434319849.528596.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434319857.579552.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434319867.896632.jpg

don't mind the gray meat, it's sous vide, so it's always ugly until the end, lol.

working on it.. 

oThdqdw.jpg

the wife is making drinks and this is rapidly turning into a DC kinda night..   will work on getting this in on time though..  :P
breaking into my smoke dried reaper stash.  have to careful though, if my wife gets any cross contamination  she will be the grim reaper .. lol 

qXENFcT.jpg

n4X70Xi.jpg

6BOZZqk.jpg

warm   up for the burger... 

UNyi7hx.jpg

The Bluecy Lucy

The patty: 75/25 beef stuffed with tons of really nice local creamy blue cheese, and cooked in a cast iron pan.

The bacon: Thick cut applewood smoked. Cooked in a cast iron pan.

The topping: Caramelized onions mixed with my homemade 7 Pot Pineapple jam.

The bun: Bakery fresh, ultra soft, and lightly toasted.

Wow. The flavors worked really well on this one. I will definitely be making these again!

Habanero White Castles!  (A Jalapeno White Castle Clone)

If you have a White Castle within 50 miles of you, consider yourself lucky!

I grew up just outside of Chicago and have always loved my White Castles. By love, I mean Harold and Kumar haven't gotten anything on me.  Here in Georgia though, we do not have a Castle within at least a 7 hour drive (trust me, I looked). Okay, I admit it, I've made the drive as well. Nothing will make your belly sing with joy as seeing that castle sign high in the sky!

So for those of us who crave those moist little burgers of love, lets make our own!

The ingredient list is pretty basic.  This will make 18 White Castles.

DSC_0001.jpg

1lb Ground Chuck
9 slices of Habanero Cheese
2 Sweet Onions
18 Dinner Rolls
1 Cube Beef Bullion
18 Dill Pickle Slices
1 Cup Water
2 Tbsp Butter

To start I used a nonstick mat and a rolling pin and rolled out the beef to a thickness of about 1/4".  Then using a pizza cutter I cut it into 3" squares.  I used a thick straw to cut 5 holes in each burger.  White Castles do not get flipped, and rely on these holes to steam them to completion.

DSC_0025.jpg

I then froze the burgers.  Once frozen I separated them and allowed them to partially thaw.

Cut the rolls in half and cut the cheese into 3" squares.

Next I prepared the onions.  They were cut thin and into about 1/2" pieces.  I laid them out on a cast iron griddle and added water with a cube of bullion dissolved in it.  Cook them until they are just starting to become translucent.  Ensure they are evenly spread with no large spaces in between. 

Add a bit more water, and lay the burgers on top.  Cover with a large metal bowl and allow to steam.  When the burgers are just slightly starting to cook on top, cover with the bottom buns.  Place the top buns on next slightly offset.  Cover again.  Cook an additional 2-3 minutes to allow the burgers to finish and the buns to become well steamed.

DSC_0042.jpg

Remove the burgers from the griddle with a thin spatula.  Make sure you get the onions as well when you remove them.  Add a pickle and a slice of cheese.  Add the top bun.

DSC_0050.jpg

In fact, just thinking about those tender, moist little White Castle burgers with those little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in your mouth like flavor crystal every time you bite into ones...

...just makes me want to burn this motherf**ker down.

Come on, Pookie, let's burn this motherf**ker down!

DSC_0059.jpg

The Habanero cheese gave these little love burgers just the kick they need and I also used a habanero ketchup for extra spice.  Yes, I ketchup my White Castles!

Oh snap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those are real, and real good, sliders!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, lots has happened while I was doing my thing ...

Ashen's going to drop something tasty, I can feel it ...

MM just popped on the spot and cooked a burger w/ less hoopla than any step of mine ... but I don't like bleu cheese, so all that oozing cheese - while dead sexy - just ain't my thing ...

Oh well, MM got both votes of mine last week, LOL ...

D3's got naan and mushrooms out, so this has to be interesting ...

And then SS ...

Kudos ... good on ya ...

I love those little onion-y fuckers, from having had them while visiting my extended family in the Jersey area all throughout growing up ...

Pretty sure my dad would take me to join his crusade to infuriate his MIL, who hated onions, but who cares - they rock!

That's fun ...

Lot's and lot's of fun, everyone ...

I'm finger's crossed I got a decent pic or two ... mine's kind of whacky ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back