• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Burger Showdown Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
POL .12

13308318_1236458649721192_1963128368393890361_o.jpg

Red Bank Beef Between Jalapeño Buns

Beef Patties

• 6oz ground chuck
  • 4oz ground short rib
Lightly combine without overworking the meat and split into 2 5oz patties.  Using smash burger technique cook in a CI pan on the BBQ.  Smash the beef, add salt, flip, add salt and cheese.  Probably about 2 minutes a side.  

Special Sauce

• 4 Tbspn Mayo
  • 1 Tsp Trinidad Scorpion puree
  • 1 pickle slice finely chopped
  • pinch of salt
Mix everything together and let chill.

Onion Straws

• 2 onions sliced very thin
  • 1 quart of buttermilk
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 Tbspn salt
  • 1/2 Tbspn applewood smoked serrano powder
  • 1/2 Tbspn black pepper
Slice onions and cover with buttermilk and refrigerate for 1 hour.  Heat oil to 375f.  With tongs grab a bunch of onions and put hem in the flour mixture to coat.  Shake off excess flour and fry until golden brown.  

Jalapeño Buns

• 2/3 cup warm milk
  • 1/3 cup warm water
  • 3 Tbspn honey
  • 2 eggs at room temp
  • 2 tspn IDY
  • 450 grams+ bread flour
  • 1 1/2 tspn salt
  • 3 Tbspn unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup active sourdough starter
  • 1/4 cup chopped pickled jalapeño rings
Combine flour, yeast, salt and sliced butter.  Combine milk, water, honey, eggs and sourdough starter.  Add the wet to the dry and knead for 8 minutes.  Let rest for 5 minutes.  Knead for another few minutes.  Let dough rise until doubled.  Scale to 3oz pieces of dough and form rolls.  Let rolls double or triple in size.  Top with egg wash and sesame seeds.  Bake 12-15 minutes at 400f.

Screwed up a little here.  I wanted to get a picture after I flipped them and the cheese had melted.  I forgot to take that picture in the heat of the moment…..so you get the smash picture instead.

IMG_6551.JPG

IMG_6549.JPG

IMG_6556.JPG

IMG_6558.JPG

IMG_6561.JPG

Originally I wanted to use both patties in my burger, but it would have been too big and IMO heading into D3 and JayT's extreme burger category.  So instead I went with a traditional single burger.  

The build was as follows:

• Toast buns on grill
  • spread special sauce on top and bottom bun
  • lettuce and pickle on bottom bun
  • burger with melted cheddar/american cheese(one slice of each)
  • bacon
  • onion straws

The beef combo was a nice change and the burger was nice and juicy because of the fat content.  The heat was nice but overpowering.  The heat came from different places, the jalapeño buns, the TS puree special sauce and the applewood smoked serrano powder used on the onion straws.  

Good luck to everyone and I look forward to see all your burgers.  

Meaf= meat and beef lol

I'd say about 3lbs worth of meat for my burger

Hrb9rP2.jpg

One patty? Na, better make it two!

UcAU6WZ.jpg

Brushed with a little homemade Worcestershire (no anchovies) and McCormick brown sugar bourbon burger sauce and In the smoker for a while while I prep the remaining ingredients. 

LRHbLIA.jpg

I really wanted to stuff the burgers but I didn't want to encroach on another SD category...  :mope:

Ozzy2001 said:
Nice burger TC!  I like what you got going there D3.  Anxious to see this monstrosity :)

My belly's already starting to hurt... lol.

Invited my dad over to help me eat it. Hopefully he takes me up on it. He's more antisocial than I am. 
JoynersHotPeppers said:
Great burger TC!

13330922_1236470093053381_4932197556907013529_n.jpg

Pickling in OJ and what not? Will add a nice color for sure. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back