• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Chili and Cornbread Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
One cornbread, cheese, and corn kernel bowl, coming right up!

16461154515_ed4c13396e_h.jpg

Here we go.

Phil's Corn Bowl Chili

The Chili:

2 lbs ground sirloin.
6 cloves garlic
6 tbsp flour
4 tbsp chili powder
4 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp cumin
1 large onion
2 tomatoes, pureed
1 can black beans
2 large jalapenos, halved, cleaned of seeds, and sliced
2 ripe Fresno peppers (I think) halved and sliced

Brown the ground meat, add the veggies, and simmer
Add the flour, chili powder, and cumin, and stir to incorporate
Let cook for approx 15 mins, then add water to thin and cook down
Salt and pepper to taste once the consistency is where you want it.

The cornbread bowl:

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup corn meal
2/3 cup white sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup veggie oil.
1 can whole kernel corn
1 cup shredded cheese of your choice. I used American.
I chopped pepper of your choice.

Combine all dry ingredients, then mix in milk, egg, corn, cheese, peppers, and oil.
Fill tortilla mold halfway, then place a second tortilla mold on top. Fill second tortilla mold with water to weigh it down and push it into the batter until the batter reaches the top of the bottom mold.

Place the bowl arrangement in the oven @ 400 degrees and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the bowls from the oven, scoop the water from the top mold, then remove the top mold. Place the corn bread bowl back in the oven and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.

Once the cornbread is cooked, remove the mold from the oven and let cool for 10 to 15 minutes. CAREFULLY remove the cornbread bowl from the mold and plate it.

Fill it with your chili goodness, top it as you see fit, then go to town!

16459541381_2469befab3_h.jpg

16273587988_d92e059425_h.jpg

16273589268_f85952dd9f_h.jpg

Phil said:
Here we go.

Phil's Corn Bowl Chili

The Chili:

2 lbs ground sirloin.
6 cloves garlic
6 tbsp flour
4 tbsp chili powder
4 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp cumin
1 large onion
2 tomatoes, pureed
1 can black beans
2 large jalapenos, halved, cleaned of seeds, and sliced
2 ripe Fresno peppers (I think) halved and sliced

Brown the ground meat, add the veggies, and simmer
Add the flour, chili powder, and cumin, and stir to incorporate
Let cook for approx 15 mins, then add water to thin and cook down
Salt and pepper to taste once the consistency is where you want it.

The cornbread bowl:

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup corn meal
2/3 cup white sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup veggie oil.
1 can whole kernel corn
1 cup shredded cheese of your choice. I used American.
I chopped pepper of your choice.

Combine all dry ingredients, then mix in milk, egg, corn, cheese, peppers, and oil.
Fill tortilla mold halfway, then place a second tortilla mold on top. Fill second tortilla mold with water to weigh it down and push it into the batter until the batter reaches the top of the bottom mold.

Place the bowl arrangement in the oven @ 400 degrees and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the bowls from the oven, scoop the water from the top mold, then remove the top mold. Place the corn bread bowl back in the oven and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.

Once the cornbread is cooked, remove the mold from the oven and let cool for 10 to 15 minutes. CAREFULLY remove the cornbread bowl from the mold and plate it.

Fill it with your chili goodness, top it as you see fit, then go to town!

16459541381_2469befab3_h.jpg

16273587988_d92e059425_h.jpg

16273589268_f85952dd9f_h.jpg

Bam! That's exactly what i'm talkin about. Chili cornbread bowl for the win! lol Great looking stuff guys. Making me so hungry. 

OMG!  First day and complete TD Chiles!!!!  :clap:  :clap:

I didn't even know what the challenge was until clickin on the Begin thread.  Where's KeybrdKid?  just checking in.....

and after this.......................................................Oh MAN!!!  I'm SO IN ON THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

chili-in-a-jar.jpg

One problem with this pic.  the seond jar is NOT filled with beer! Dang it.

How do you take chili and corn bread and make it not look like runny spag bog with beans and corn cake? hmmmm.

Some of my stuff:

That will be for amatriciana chili:

ibtb9sGP5NfAbf.jpg

Guanciale, borlotti beans, onion, sharp cheddar cheese, dried piri piri, a random fresh annuum, homegrown tomatoes a pezzettoni. Probably some white wine and evo.
That's it. No more spices, there's already too much (onion is not part of amatriciana, but here will be good). Guanciale itself is very black pepper spiced and it's so badass that would be a crime to adulterate its taste. 

Then comes the cornbread.
I took the idea to use whole flour instead of oil... I've tried this on pizza and it works, and really well. Basically this is a modified pizza dough recipe (and a really good one):
300g cold water
250g manitoba flour
150g corn flour
50g whole wheat flour
8g salt
1g sugar
3g fresh beer yeast.

In a bowl put 200g of water and the corn flour, mix with a fork or a spoon a bit then leave it for 5 minutes.
In another bowl add 100g of water whole wheat, sugar and yeast. Use a minipimer to mix til bubbles are shown. Add this to the bowl with corn flour, minipime again, leave it rest for 5 minutes.
Then add manitoba flour mixing with a fork or spoon. Near the end add salt. No need to knead or mix too much.
Wait 1 hour.
Fold it 4 times each 15 mins.
Here my result:
ibmAtFj3eewgkU.jpg

I liked the consistency.

For rising... I've chosen to let it ripe in a 17°C for 20 hours room since i didn't knew about corn and whole wheat for sure doesn't help...
ib1gy8LpAw7rSB.jpg

Maybe even too much, but seems fine.
Now it's rising a second time before cooking, i'll wait 2 to 4 hours.

That for risotto ai peperoni (veggie):
(assuming this)

i8uaQhogLptxn.jpg

Some red rice called andel abang... They say it tastes of corn. Some yellow and red bell pepper, random annuum, an onion.
Probably i'll add parsley, use white wine, superhot powder (i'm thinking at douglah), butter...
For this a more standard cornbread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back