• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! Chinese Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Head to head.jpg

 
Man now just when I thought I couldn't eat any more general tso's chicken
looking at these pictures just make me hungry again...yes waiter I will have an order of both!
 
Student of Spice said:
attachicon.gif
Head to head.jpg
 
Man now just when I thought I couldn't eat any more general tso's chicken
looking at these pictures just make me hungry again...yes waiter I will have an order of both!
 
I like your coloration better, I felt like I didn't have quite enough sauce. It coated everything but wasn't enough to dredge my rice through. 

Going to use the leftovers in fried rice for dinner tomorrow
 
Wish I would of had access to that smoked soy sauce... that would of been amazing
 
D3monic said:
 
I like your coloration better, I felt like I didn't have quite enough sauce. It coated everything but wasn't enough to dredge my rice through. 

Going to use the leftovers in fried rice for dinner tomorrow
 
Wish I would of had access to that smoked soy sauce... that would of been amazing
 

So having read the Boss's post, me thinks he forgot what was that heavenly curd topped, thin onion strawed burger of unfathomable  awesomeness which won the over any other burger on earth!! That, sir, was a burger our children will tell their children about :cool:
 
Student of Spice said:
 
So having read the Boss's post, me thinks he forgot what was that heavenly curd topped, thin onion strawed burger of unfathomable  awesomeness which won the over any other burger on earth!! That, sir, was a burger our children will tell their children about :cool:
 
I'm still gaining weight thinking about it ... lol   :tear:
 
Dee you don't want more sauce because you preserved that crunch man, I can tell. I've had too many a goopy General Tso's. Color is great, you can see the crunch through the sauce letting me know it's not over coated. Trust!
 
The Hot Pepper said:
Dee you don't want more sauce because you preserved that crunch man, I can tell. I've had too many a goopy General Tso's. Color is great, you can see the crunch through the sauce letting me know it's not over coated. Trust!
 
According to Kenji Lopez this crunch holds up to the sauce even after reheating. I'd believe it. Held up very nice. 
 
T0mato's Fragrant Crispy Duck  (Anything Goes)
 
1 fresh whole duck (gutted and not frozen)
4 whole star anise pieces
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1/3 cup salt
1/4 Sichuan peppercorns
4 scallions
1 hunk of ginger
1/2 cup of white wine (preferably rice)
flour
At least 3 cups of peanut oil
2 small pinches of D3 goat powder
 
Wash the duck thoroughly and hang to dry for at least two hours.  I hung mine on the front porch on a windy day so that there was plenty of air circulation.  I got a few strange looks from the neighbors, but oh well.  When the duck has dried sufficiently take it down and start preparing the salt rub.  Break apart the star anise into little pieces.  In a hot pan combine the salt, sichuan peppercorns and star anise and goat powder....stir frequently until the mixture becomes extremely fragrant.  The salt will also become pale in color....when it does this move it from the pan and into a bowl.  Let cool for a few minutes.   While the salt rub is hot (but not scalding hot) spoon 1/3 of it into the cavity of the duck and then spread the rest all over the outside of the body.  Make sure you get some underneath the legs and the wings.  Set aside and let marinade for at least 8 hours or overnight.  When enough time has elapsed cut the ginger into small strips and cut the scallions up.  Scoop some of the ginger/scallion mixture into the cavity of the bird then spread 1 tablespoon of soy sauce over the outside with the rest of the ginger and scallions.  Do not remove the salt crust.  Let marinade for at least another 4 hours and turn the duck at least once  No need to refrigerate.  After the duck has marinated sufficiently put it into a shallow bowl then pour the wine over the duck.  Put the duck into a steamer (I had to make a steamer out of a wok and a giant mixing bowl).  Steam for at two hours.  When the duck has finish steaming hang it to dry for at least 2 hours.  The drier the duck gets the crispier the skin will be.  Let it Dry!!!!  When the duck has dried cut it in half by removing the spine and cutting down between the breasts.  Remove any bits of scallion, anise, and peppercorns. Heat a wok for fifteen seconds over a high flame then add the peanut oil.  Toss the duck in flour (cover it completely).  When the oil is smoking hot fry each half of the duck until golden/dark brown.  Remove the duck from the oil and let it drain over some paper towels until it is cool enough to handle.  Break the duck down into manageable/servable pieces.  Cook some white or jasmine rice and serve the duck over it. 
 
This is the best duck I've ever had.  Kfc aint got nothing on this bird.
 

Attachments

  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 85
  • FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 84
  • FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 81
  • FullSizeRender_3.jpg
    FullSizeRender_3.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 86
  • FullSizeRender_4.jpg
    FullSizeRender_4.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 81
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 84
  • FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 79
  • FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 82
  • FullSizeRender_3.jpg
    FullSizeRender_3.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 84
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top