contest BEGIN! Chopped Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pollo 4-loko...

IMG_3065.jpg

BOOM!!!

Will Bits finally get the crown???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bits I am predicting a Thai stir fry.

SUMBITS Energy Hen

So I decided to go asian fusion with this one. Watch out.
Keep your hands and feet inside the rocket.

Cracked a can of RED BULL. Slapped the cornish hen on the can for a good roasting. This was the first time this hen had taken something with such girth.
Hen was basted with a honey-soy sauce. A bit of ginger, a bit of mustard pow, and a bit of naga powder for good measure.

IMG_3069.jpg

Indirect heat over charcoal. It's the only respectable way to cook a bird with a red bull can shoved up it's cornish hole.

IMG_3070.jpg

meanwhile...
whirred and stirred some swiss chard (three varieties: organic, rainbow, and red) , mushrooms, garlic, dried chilies, and cashews.

IMG_3079.jpg

The Hen came off the coals, quite reluctantly, and posed pretty for the pictures.
Meanwhile, I pulverized some MELBA TOAST, blending it to a panko crumb consistency.
At this time I busted out my secret ingredient...florida shrimp!!
Fried the shrumps in the melba panko, served it with the wilted chard-cashew-shroom stir-fry.
Served the hen whole, on the red bull can, dripping with the soy-honey glaze.

Basted over and over. This cock was ready to be presented to the world. Enjoy. We sure did.

IMG_3080.jpg

Spatchcocked for your pleasure.
IMG_3083.jpg

IMG_3082.jpg

Oh no he di'n't!!!

SumBits

Yeah, too east coast late - that does look awesome, scrumptuous, and all other types of assorted adjectives. Delicious even.

Only I'm scratching my head over how a hen and a side fits the "one harmonious entree" description. One harmonious plate, to be sure, but one entree? That's okay - you've got until 9pm tonight to try again!

I was waiting for someone to do fried chicken. I mean, what else are you gonna do with melba, right? Very creative to crispify the chard and incorporate it into the crumbs. This is totally Chopped style.

Almost what we did, too. Decided it wasn't worth parting a game hen. Funny how that worked out...

Sum you totally beer-canned that hen with a red bull!!!!
The red-bull flavor complimented the Teriyaki glaze. It was surprisingly great. The shrimps and asian stir-fry really completed the entree. The melba breading was just like panko bread crumbs. Harmony on a plate!!! Well done sum.

Well...all my BIG ideas for this TD went up in smoke...LITERALLY. My wife's truck almost caught fire yesterday, so priorities have shifted for the weekend.

I hate I'm gonna miss this one...no one else (so far) had my idea! :mad:

Well...all my BIG ideas for this TD went up in smoke...LITERALLY. My wife's truck almost caught fire yesterday, so priorities have shifted for the weekend.

I hate I'm gonna miss this one...no one else (so far) had my idea! :mad:
Ouch - sorry to hear that, and sorry you won't be entering this time. But we'll definitely be looking for you next month!

Sum don't fall for geeme's smacktalk. That is one killer looking bird and greens. Nice use of the melba. Hope it tasted as good as it looks. Personally, I was hoping that pineapple was going in the stir fry... instead of some side garnish!

SoFlo Toe Dis Up!

Who else got game (hen)?

well I was going to be completely out of this TD, but from the complete lack of entries I am going to go to the store and see what I can find just to make things a little more interesting

i might still have time to be able to whip something up, we will see

Sum don't fall for geeme's smacktalk. That is one killer looking bird and greens. Nice use of the melba. Hope it tasted as good as it looks. Personally, I was hoping that pineapple was going in the stir fry... instead of some side garnish!
Exactly - side garnish...... see, you agree, even if you don't want to admit it!

And me? Smacktalking? Surely I don't know what you're talking about.... I didn't even mention that the hen looks like it needed a tampon more than a Red Bull up its craw..... :P

{aw, SB, you know I'm just giving you grief - that looks wonderful!}

Hmmm...in an odd twist,looks like I'll be braving the snowy Texas streets, and passing right by the store...

I lived up north for a while...but these other idiots scare the hell outta me...and there's nothing even sticking to the roads. I predict seeing 3 crashes in my 10 mile round trip.

So...it may be game (hen) on for me...I'm hoping I can have it finished by 8pm central...unless there is a slightly extended grace period.

I think some folks might need to wiki "entree". From what I gathered from doing so my dish is an entree. THP??? Help?

AGREED: An entree is a main dish, and in an informal setting (unlike a 5 star restaurant), it is simply that...the main "meal". Nowhere did I find any specifications that it had to consist of only one thing. A combination of items on a "main dish" is not only reasonable, it's expected. Think about the "Cajun Combo Skillet" at Razzoo's...it's 5 different items on one plate. Think about ordering a mix-plate at a Mexican food joint...a tamale, taco, and enchilada...as well as the ride and beans on one plate.

I'm not the THP judge on this, nor am I trying to "pick sides of(or even start) a fight...but I'd be SHOCKED...actually, irritated, if your entry is DQ'd, or you are asked to change it. I don't see it happening though...and it looks GREAT!

Salsalady's Southwest Rainbow Chick-n-Slaw with Stuffing

Thanks to some suggestions sent my way recently, here's the entry ingredients, with a few changes-
b8b111ae.jpg

ca4a2e94.jpg

Split the hens in half (coulda really used Beaglestorm's meat cleaver for that part, but it got done~~), rubbed them up good with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and Trujillo Farms SW chile powder, then into the oven to bake nice and crispy.
2ad0a129.jpg

MMMMmmmmmm!!!!!
7fef6ed1.jpg

Now the original plan was to flip the bird, stuff it, top with queso anejo, and then back under the broiler...but after seeing those gorgeous, plump, well tanned breasts and thighs, I just had to keep them exposed. So Plan B is-
Melba Toast Stuffing-
Sauteed the veggies(shallot, celery, mushroom, roasted New Mexico chile, habanero, garlic, butter) and added some chicken broth, as well as some of the juice from the roasted hens. Then realized the chard stalks should go into the stuffing so, back to the fry pan with those, and then added it all to the broken up melba toast. Just enough juice to soften the toast, and then baked it in the oven by itself.
d791d15a.jpg

423e18d0.jpg

7c4e0596.jpg

Rainbow Chard Slaw-
Slaw dressing- mayo, lime juice, cilantro, roasted NM chile, shallot, garlic, salt, Trujillo Farms chile powder, kicked it up with some red chile blend powder, and cumin. Let that blend in the refer for a while and then mixed it with shredded Rainbow Chard, cabbage and carrots.
607898f3.jpg

0b7df2be.jpg

DING!DING!DING!DING! COME AND GET IT!
d5d9727e.jpg

In reading up on Cornish Hens, I found out that the birds are killed at a younger age than normal chickens are, hence the word "chick- " in the title. And all the family ate the dinner, which is amazing since they all swore they wouldn't touch it.

The chard slaw turned out really well! The dressing with the cilantro, lime, garlic and cumin was delicious, and I'm going to keep it in mind to use in the future. I'd urge others to try it also.

Thanks for the ideas sent my way. ;) you know who you are~~ :cool:

The rest of the eats are looking AWESOME! Great creativity from everyone!

Lunchbox, hope you can make the deadline! Go! Go! Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back