• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Chopped Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished the cornbread, cooked in a cast iron skillet.Then for the panko bread crumbs!
THPChoppedthrowdown014_zps96337ae0.jpg

I sliced some Yellow 7 pots and white onion,coated them in some flour seasoned w/salt and pepper,then into an egg wash and then into the panko. Fried em up and salted them after they came out
THPChoppedthrowdown016_zpsc5d51a79.jpg

THPChoppedthrowdown018_zps7e25fc9f.jpg
THPChoppedthrowdown017_zpsa8a3a43d.jpg

Next up my final plating

Flavor! Flavor!

Short ribs, red wine: slow cooked together with seasonings and vegetables
Wine: made into marsala mushroom sauce
Panko, canned creamed corn: made into muffins

Short Ribs
Beef Short Ribs
Leek
Onion
Carrot
Celery
Garlic
Congo Trinidad
Fresh Bay leaf
Fresh Thyme
Tarragon
Sea Salt
Coriander
Allspice
Butter
Dry Marsala wine
Beef stock

Cook in slow-cooker until short ribs are tender. Remove short ribs and strain about half a cup of the cooking liquid. (Remainder can be reserved for something else, if desired. It's sole raison d'etre here is to add flavor to the beef.)

Marsala Sauce
Dry Marsala wine
Mushrooms, sliced
Tomatoe, deseeded and chopped
Leek
Butter, about 1 tablespoon and about 1/4 cup
Cooking broth strained from the short ribs
Sea salt
Thyme
Congo Trinidad powder

Cook mushrooms and leek in 1 tablespoon butter and sea salt until caramelized. Add tomatoe, warm, then add Marsala and cooking liquid. Heat until liquid reduced to less than half. Add butter. When melted, add remaining ingredients and short ribs.

Steam asparagus with lemon.

Panko/Corn Muffins

Panko
Creamed corn
Cornmeal
Salt
Sugar
Baking powder
Egg
Oil
Half & Half
Congo trinidad powder
Garlic

Mix dried ingredients then stir in wet ingredients. Put batter into mini lightly oiled tart pans, sprinkle with panko, bake.

P1010513.JPG

P1010515.JPG

Link to prep pics.

Bear's Hangover Favorite

This was back in the day, but Bear was a real party animal, if you can believe it.
One day he woke up out of a drunken stupor nailed inside a crate on a cargo train in Mexico.
Obvious to the policia, he was a victim of a frat prank from across the boarder... and they took pity on him, shaking with his DT's from alcohol withdrawal, but he was so funny and cute, they just had to call their grandma's. And they took him in as one of their own.
The only thing he had with him was a bottle of red wine that he was still clutching. They took it and made, what Bear proclaims, the BEST MEAL EVER. Not my words, but he'd punch me in the face with his bear-like fist if I argued with him about that.

Here it is:

Tamales

1 cup red wine dumped in a slow cooker with short ribs dusted with red pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and a pinch or two of Kosher salt. <-- Set for 6 hours on high.

Masa is creamed corn motorboated and about 1 1/2 cups of Panko. Let sit for an hour.

Spread the masa on the pre-soaked corn husk, add some now shredded beef and some colbyjack. Then steam for ~ 1 hr. Money.

Unwrap and place that on some Moros y Christianos [black beans and rice] and top it with some fresh Pico de Gallo + sour cream.... according to Bear, nothing better.

Pico de Gallo:
Diced tomatoes, finely chopped sweet onion, finely chopped jalapeno, garlic powder, fresh cilantro, lime juice, and some salt. Simple as that.

IMG_5437.jpg

Prep Pics for Flavor! Flavor!

Short ribs on bottom, topped with seasonings, veggies, and butter:
P1010496.JPG

Link to beef short ribs and veggies in Marsala and beef stock

Panko/Creamed Corn batter, a bit thicker than standard cornbread mix to ensure it holds with sauce on it:
P1010501.JPG

Batter in mini tart pans sprinkled with panko:
P1010503.JPG

Perfect!
P1010504.JPG

'Shrooms, leeks, and butter ready:
P1010505.JPG

Oh yeah!
P1010507.JPG

Gettin' jiggy wit' it!
P1010509.JPG

I can't describe how good this smells!