contest BEGIN! Combo de Mayo Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man Booma's amazing cooking and now these awesome pics (it's not just the camera, the lighting and composition are great too), look out peeps! Consider making them a tad larger.

Good Friday start here. Looking forward to the crazy weekend.

Alright few more progress pics today and thats it till tomorrow. Then the action begins.

Tequila, Tortillas, ummmm what else starts with T,

Oh Tacos

DSCF1145.JPG

DSCF1151.JPG

DSCF1156.JPG

Scovie- check your side burner!!!!

teaser- current exchange rates put 5 cents US = 50 centavos MX ( I JT'd that!). PoL. I have more I could add tonight, but that would give away too much~ ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0546.JPG
    IMG_0546.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0545.JPG
    IMG_0545.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0544.JPG
    IMG_0544.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 73
KBK and SL doing PUERCO PIBIL (cochina pibil) I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO8EiScBEjA

No Puerco Pibil for me, maybe KbrdKid though. Hint- sliced pork

Attachments

• IMG_0548.JPG
    IMG_0548.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 71
I hope you are making "cecina enchilada" or "carne enchilada" SL. I'm still guessing here, lol. I think I got KBK's.

IMG_0553.JPG
More Pork from SumBits! Woot! Look what I found at my little country store...

Yes, Real Sugar! Time to head out to the kitch and get started on the 2nd item. Doing the major cooking this afternoon. BTW, the pineapple, Coke and paper plates should give you enough hints.

Tacos al pastor? I actually didn't know Coke was in there and I eat them all the time. But yeah. Pork and pineapple, and pork slices. Will you be putting these on a trompo or some makeshift rotisserie?

Roast Pork Yucatecan-Style with Red Onion Garnish and Cabbage Salsa; Non-alcoholic celebratory margarita

According to my research, Yucatecen cuisine demonstrates a strong European influence. At a point in time, the Yucatecan peninsula perhaps was a bit too far away and perhaps too challenging to reach from the rest of Mexico. Terrain and poor roads kept the peninsula isolated. Ports allowed commercial and cultural interaction with Europe (France), New Orleans, and Cuba; the Yucatecans were influenced in varying aspects.

The combination of dishes here demonstrates cuisine from the Yucatan region: featuring salsa as a popular item [Cabbage and radish here]; as well as a Roast Pork Yucatecan dish with Red Onion Garnish. Topping this off we will have a celebratory zero-proof margarita.

---

According to more research, the history of salsa, or the Spanish word for "sauce," may originate with the Mayas, Aztecs, and Incas. These people groups cultivated tomatoes and peppers. The Aztecs were known to combine squash seeds and chili peppers-and the result became known as salsa.

On a similar note, during the 1520's, the Spanish imported into Mexico plants and animals that no Mexican had ever seen. This included pigs, black pepper, oregano, oranges, and a variety of other things.

Additionally, there is no definitive proof as to whom actually invented the margarita. However, the most widely accepted creator was Don Carlos Orozco at Hussong's Cantina ins Ensenada, Mexico-in 1941. In this instance, a few other ingredients were added to give the beverage a Yucatecan flair.

---

Citations:

Tausend, Marilyn, and Miguel Ravago. Cocina de la Familia. New York, New York: Simon & Schuster,
1997. Print.
Imagex Media, ed. Yucatan Today. Yucatan Today, n.d. Web. 3 May 2013.
<http://www.yucatantoday.com/en/topics/yucatecan-cuisine>.
History of Salsa Sauce. Salsa Macha LLC, n.d. Web. 4 May 2013. <http://www.salsamachallc.com/
index.php/history-of-salsa-sauce/>.
A Thumbnail History of Mexican Food. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 May 2013. <http://www.backyardnature.net/m/
food/foodhist.htm>.
two or so margarita websites

----

Ingredient List

Pork loin
1/2 cup sour orange juice
2 tablespoons grapefruit juice
4 tablespoons lime juice
5 teaspoons Achiote powder
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
12 whole allspice, crushed
1 5/8 teaspoon garlic
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
banana leaves as required
water as required
sunflower oil as required
2 white onions
3 red onions
toasted Orange habaneros as required
1/2 head cabbage
6-8 radishes as required
3 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon oregano
3 lemons, juiced
1 can Frozen limeade
sugar as required
3/4 cup orange juice
2/3 cup grapefruit juice
ice as required
1 1/2 tablespoon crema de coco
1 tablespoon guava nectar
1 tablespoon papaya nectar
2 drops green food coloring

To make achiote paste:

1. Crush some whole allspice in a bowl well. Combine 2 tablespoons achiote powder, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon cumin, and several tablespoons water. Mix into a paste and refrigerate.

To make banana leaves:

1. Using a sharp knife (I used xacto,) slice some banana leaves into pieces and wash well. Set aside until needed.

To make pork:

1. Prepare a quantity of pork, and puncture with a knife in places. Following fat lines if they exist.
2. Mix together 1/2 cup sour orange juice, 2 tablespoons grapefruit juice, 4 tablespoons lime juice, prepared achiote paste, 5/8 teaspoon garlic, and 1 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Save two tablespoons of mixture, and pour rest over pork in a mixing bowl. Saturate well, cover, and allow to marinate overnight.
3. When ready to prepare pork, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. Layer some banana leaves into the bottom of oven pan, and coat with sunflower oil. Cut pork into segments and places on leaves.
5. Add a layer of sliced white onion, and the remaining two tablespoons of achiote paste.
6. Cover with an additional layer of banana leaves
7. Pour one cup water around meat.
8. Cook for 3 1/2 hours, or until done
9. Garnish with Red Onion mixture.
To make cabbage salsa:

1. Chop up 1/2 head of cabbage, 1/2 white onion, 6-8 radishes, and about 1 toasted orange habanero.
2. Combine in a bowl cabbage, onion, radishes, habanero, 1 teaspoon garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 3 tablespoons of lime juice
3. Mix well, and set aside

To make red onion garnish:

1. Chop up 3 red onions, and place in a heatproof bowl.
2. Boil some water, and then cover onions in bowl for 2-3 minutes. Drain well
3. Add to this bowl 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/3 teaspoon black pepper, 1/3 teaspoon oregano, and juice of 3 lemons
4. make a small indentation in onion mixture, and place in some toasted habaneros. Cover with onion mixture and allow to sit for 1 hour, stirring occasionally

To make non-alcoholic margarita:

1. Dip the rim of a glass in some fresh lime juice. Rotate in a bowl of sugar until coated. Set aside until needed
2. Combine 1 can limeade concentrate, 3/4 cup orange juice, 2/3 cup grapefruit juice; blend until smooth.
3. Add ice cubes 4 or so at a time and blend. About 20 ice cubes might do.
4. Add two drops food coloring
5. Add 1 1/2 tablespoon crema de coco, 1 tablespoon guava nectar, and 1 tablespoon papaya nectar. Blend, and then pour mixture into margarita glass.

Awesome dish, KBK! banana leaves and all! I LOVE cabbage salsa like that.

Here's some prep pics of one of my items.

Tribute to Jamie Guava Tamales. Tamal cooking tip- put a clean coin in the bottom of the steaming pot. While the water is boiling, the coin will jingle. If it stops jingling, it's time to add more water.

PS- Boss, the Coke isn't going into the Al Pastor, but is part of the presentation/theme. It will all become clear...in a few hours... ;) OH, and I think I have it figured out how to cook it on the grill's rotisserie.

Attachments

• IMG_0555.JPG
    IMG_0555.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0556.JPG
    IMG_0556.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0561.JPG
    IMG_0561.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0562.JPG
    IMG_0562.JPG