• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Curry Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah. DTS knows. :)

Let's see some rendang! I can only imagine what yours looks and tastes like, and with your pic skills...

This will be my very first time making Curry, Pasted, Powdered, or otherwise. FYI, All of these spices we bought (about 2.oz each b weight) were $15.

It's on fools!

file-2273.jpg

file-389.jpg

We forgot to bring our Camera but Molly was nice enough to take this with her iPod/phone/pad thing.
As you can see, Twisp is HAPPENIN'!

file-656.jpg

Nice Scove! The house is gonna be smellin' guud!

I'm doing another one of my top 5. It's quick 'n' easy and we eat it at least a few time a month. Or a variation of it.

Quick and easy? I'm onto ya.

Jalfrezi!

Scovie is that a rail gun in your hand? Good news, I found fenugreek! 7th store I tried. All ingredients accounted for, so I will be making Phaal for lunch tomorrow.

Glad that it seems most of the spices I need I either already have or I know I have seen them at Safeway here. Deadline is 10est so 7pst..... Hopefully I can wrap it up by 5 so I have time to get final post worked out. So glad we bought $88 worth of beef last week and Aaron cut it up into roasts and steaks and ribs and other different things so I got plenty of meat!!!!

So in the words of our Eggboobie buddy.......... BOOM SHACKALACKA!!!!!!! :dance:

Had a minor emergency today... truck is acting up, so a quick change on the fly so I don't have to drive so far for ingredients. Instead of Rogan Josh with lamb, I made Kodi Koori with chicken instead.

The recipe called for ginger/garlic paste which can be bought premade, but I made mine in a suribachi with 50/50 garlic cloves and sliced, peeled ginger root.
SANY0600_zps81e40abc.jpg

Made a masala mixture of coriander, cumin, clove, cinnamon and white poppy seeds... dry fried the spices to bring out the flavor and ground them in a coffee mill.

SANY0597_zps9e50afec.jpg

Marinating the chicken in half a cup of yogurt, 2 tsp Kashmiri Mirch (red pepper powder), 1 tsp salt and half a tsp of turmeric..
SANY0599_zps5da1d68d.jpg

Covered the marinating chicken and put it in the 'fridge for half an hour.

Heating vegetable oil in a skillet and sauteing 4 bay leaves
SANY0601_zps12a4b4ff.jpg

Then added chopped onions and seeded green chiles (jalapenos)
SANY0602_zpsa49d6845.jpg

When the onions had sweated, added the marinated chicken and fried until it started rendering fat... then added water and simmered 20 minutes.
SANY0603_zps58fb44b0.jpg

When chicken was cooked through, stirred in the Masala and simmered 10 minutes to meld the flavors.
SANY0604_zpsadfd159d.jpg

Well I might not be in after all. I was planning on cooking today.
I had to work this morning, and when I came home my 14 year old dog had apparently taken the polar bear challenge and didn't make it.
Had to get him out of the pool and bury him.
Sad.
The wife and kids weren't home, so that's good.

I'll see if I can muster something up for tomorrow...

Sum...D always loved Jonesy, just sayin! :)

Wow, Stickman's bringin it! Looks awesome man!

I just want to say a big'ol thank to THP for calling Curry this month!
I NEVER would have done this otherwise, and I found it's not that intimidating.
Although I haven't even tasted it yet, The smell in our house is phenomenal!
This is going to be so good, I hope I remember to take final pics!

As for the rest of you, WHERE DA HAEL YOU AT?

It's time to start pourin'...

I am so sorry for Mr. Jones. I'm glad no one was home.

Scovie, now that I think of it, there are many similarities between a good curry and your mole'. It's no wonder it's right up your alley!

I was thinking the same thing FD. and truthfully, Molé is waaaaaaay more involved than this Curry was.
Especially once the powder got made. and I have about 5 oz. of it left. :woohoo:

FD that is so sad, its good they weren't there. That would be tramatic. Best wishes to doggie heaven.

Cooking may take your mind off of it.

Stickman's Chicken Kodi Koori with Coconut Rice, Smoked Eggplant Bharta and Cranberry/Apricot Chutney

SANY0605_zpsaa97f221.jpg

Coconut Rice:
2c Rice
4 tbsp Mustard Oil
15 oz can Coconut Milk
The same 15 oz can filled with water

Cranberry/Apricot Chutney:
1 and 1/4 cups white sugar or jaggery
1/2 cup of water
12 oz package whole cranberries
3/4 cup snipped, dried apricots
1 inch piece of ginger root, peeled and minced
3 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp cider vinegar

Eggplant Bharta:
a 1 and 1/2 pound broiled or smoke-roasted eggplant
15 oz can diced tomatoes
1 med. onion
1 inch piece of ginger root
2 cloves garlic
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 fresh, hot, green chile (I used jalapenos)
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp garam masala (see previous post... compounded of roughly similar amounts of black peppercorns, toasted cumin seeds, stick cinnamon, Cardamom pods and whole cloves)

Kodi Koori (Andhra-style Chicken Curry):
1# chicken breasts
3 onions
3-4 green chiles (again, I used Jalapenos)
3 tsp ginger/garlic paste
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2-3 bay leaves

Masala mix for Kodi Koori:
2 tbsp whole coriander seeds
1 tsp whole cumin seeds
4-5 whole cloves
2-3 whole cardamom pods
1/2 inch stick of cinnamon
2 tsp white poppy seeds

Marinade for Kodi Koori:
1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 tsp Kashmiri mirch (or the red pepper powder of your choice)
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp turmeric

This tastes like a great dish with big flavor, but the heat definitely creeps when you use jalapenos like I did. Good burn at the finish, but not overwhelming.

Did that cover all the bases boss?

Sorry to hear about your dog frydad... I guess he just figured it was time to check out...

Nice Job Stickman. I swear I could eat everything on that plate sucked up through a straw!

Chutney sounds fantastic!

galangal....... wth??? supposedly it's similair to ginger.... guess I am getting ginger...................... oh and lime leaves??? Really? Going to have to make a trip to Whole Foods I think. better be worth the 45min drive. I guess no not everything will be a Safeway as I further JayTing....... I will figure it out, I gotta a plan!!!!!

Stickman I am proud!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back