• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Curry Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alrighty then. Here is some prep shots and PoL with the spices. It's my take on a Vindaloo

Lamb forequarter chops. Removed most of the fat and sinew. De-boned and chopped. Oil and tamarind marinade.
P3041322.jpg

Spices and PoL
P3041323.jpg

Fresh spices
P3041325.jpg

Dry spices in the mortar
P3041326.jpg

Finished Vindaloo paste. Dry and wet spices mixed with mortar and pestle
P3041328.jpg

Is pineapple ever in curry??? I really don't want to do more JayTing. I would love to add pineapple cuz it would work in what I am thinking but would like hubby to have some. And he has a "I only eat fresh pineapple" complex.

More thinkin'............

OH snap DTS! for a minute I forgot you weren't on this side of the pond, was gonna say your POL looks odd.... :doh: me!!!! :lol:

Fire In Yer Guts Vindaloo

500 g Lamb forequarter, diced
1 tbsp tamarind pulp
1 tbsp oil.

Mix and marinate overnight.

Vindaloo paste mix:

2 onions sliced thin
3 cloves garlic
shit-ton of chillies
15 g minced fresh ginger
1/2 tbsp each cumin, coriander and paprika
1 tsp tumeric
1 tbsp dried chilli flakes
1 tsp cinnamon bark
1 tsp sea salt
2 bay leaves.

Pound dry spices in mortar and pestle. Add all other ingredients except onion and bay leaf and pound to form a paste.

Method: Brown onions, set aside. Brown lamb, add onions back, add paste and cook until fragrant. Add bay leaves. Add 2 cups water and cook 1 1/2 hours on very low heat. Top with more water if necessay.

Peel and cube a potato. Fry in butter until golden and crispy.

Dice 2 inch piece of cucumber and mix through 200 ml natural yoghurt.

Assembly: Grill naan, add Vindaloo, top with potatoes, add yoghurt and garnish with cucumber. Eat.

P3041345.jpg

Tasted awesome. Never gonna use premade paste again.

Money. Right here.
P3041346.jpg

Oh holy crap DTS!!!!!!

You get better and better and better and better...

Damn, Sir, this may be your finest!!!!!

Holy geez that looks amazing!!! Photo skills, while not completely necessary for a TD, are sure a plus, and you got it on point!!!!!

and congrats wheebz!!! You may someday be more famous than JayT!!!!!
I hope all of those medals lead exponentially to coitus opportunities!
(the ladies love the brewmaster!)

Gold - Belgian dubbel, chocolate pepper porter, west coast IPA

Silver - barleywine, vanilla aged imperial stout, coffee beer, bohemian pilsner, oak aged belgian dubbel

bronze - german pilsner, belgian wit, weizenbock, english stout, and something else, i cant remember

Gold - Belgian dubbel, chocolate pepper porter, west coast IPA

Silver - barleywine, vanilla aged imperial stout, coffee beer, bohemian pilsner, oak aged belgian dubbel

bronze - german pilsner, belgian wit, weizenbock, english stout, and something else, i cant remember

Honorable mention- stripper pole porter, soot foot stout, trippel bear balls Belgian, hot dog heff

OMG I had the best day....
A moment in life that Deepak Chopra talks about in all of his books. More on that later....
Damm, this Curry stuff is awesome. I had some Curry at a restaurant called Marco Polo's with my new wife and her folks about 20 years ago, and ever since, I never tried to make Curry, knowing it would never be like Marco Polo's. Here's kind of how it went:
Waiter: "How Hot?'
Me and my Father in Law (Jack): "what's the scale?"
W: 1 is like Tabasco, 10 is as hot as you want to go
Us: Well how hot do you eat it?
W: 11 or 12
Us: we'll take it that way!
(Me and him have always been competitive that way)

It was AWESOME! They served fresh Na'an and Yogurt Jalapeño Raita... man the PERFECT BURN...
I actually needed to walk aroung and get fresh air before I got behind the wheel. Jack was fine, he wasn't driving.
So much endorphines... best high I've ever felt to this day.

OK, so that happened.

Today I made Curry for the first time ever, and the only thing it has in common with Marco Pollo's is the heat/burn/high.
I am very happy. The Curry I made was not Red like MP's, but Greenish Brown. ahh well. It's freaking good.

Thanks for reading, here's some teasers...
file-1767.jpg

file-1945.jpg

file-1011.jpg

file-1747.jpg

file-1391.jpg

file-1453.jpg

file-360.jpg

I'm with DTS...if I've learned ONE thing from this TD.......it's that I won't use pre-made currry paste/powder ever again!

OMG! Just OMG!!!!!!!!

It's getting real serious up in here. This is going to be a hard one to vote on....I can tell already. Awesome job so far everyone. Sorry to hear about the pup Frydad....that is never something you should have to come home to.

Congrats on the Brews Wheebz! Very nice show. Now we know how you will die....just like on the movie "I'm Gonna Get You Sucka" too many gold chains.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back