• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Dim Sum Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ding Dang Dim Sum Parade!

It's been a while since I've had dim sum, and I have never made it before today.  Chicago has an excellent chinatown, and the dim sum runs thick on Archer Ave.  Phoenix restaurant is the place I go to most, and today was my attempt to make 3 of their dishes which are my favorites.  To start we have Shu Mai - a pork and mushroom dumpling with a bit of cabbage seasoned with some jalapeno and a touch of habanero.  I did them two ways; steamed and fried.  The steamed version is most common, but I couldn't resist frying up a few.  Following the Shu Mai we have Char Siu Bao; which is a bbq'd pork dumpling.  I used home smoked pork belly, shallot, garlic, a lil more habs and a touch of lemon juice to pop flavors.  Our last dim sum is Dan Tat - a light egg custard tart flavored with jasmine and lemon.  It's kinda like flan in a pastry shell - way good!   :)

Assembling the ingredients & PoL:

11v6254.jpg

Making the Shu Mai:

2ues407.jpg

Finished product (steamed):

2z8wxno.jpg

Shu Mai (fried):

2w6tf2u.jpg

Moving on to the Char Siu Bao:

2r47k3a.jpg

Mmm tasty!!!

168argx.jpg

Dan Tat:

2jfc2o2.jpg

Recipes and instructions:

Shu Mai - 

1lb pork sausage, cooked
2 tb minced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
4oz fresh mushrooms, chopped
4oz fresh cabbage, shredded
1 fresh jalapeno, diced
1 fresh habanero, diced
1 tbsp braggs
salt, pepper, sesame seeds, touch of worcestershire
1 pkg won ton skins
1 beaten egg

Cook the sausage, drain and set aside.
Saute the onion and mushrooms in a bit of canola oil over medium until onions are translucent; 8 minutes.
Add garlic, fresh peppers and seasonings - continue cooking for 2 minutes.  
Remove from heat and combine with reserved sausage.  Taste and adjust flavors with s&p as needed.   Allow to cool to room temp.

take won ton skin and brush with beaten egg.  (steamed) place 2 tsp of filling and pat down.  fold over edges and place in steamer basket.  cook in steamer for 8-10 minutes and serve.  (fried) place 2 tsp filling and pat down.  lay another won ton skin on top, crimp edges and fry for about 2 mins per side until nicely browned and serve.  Dipping sauce pictured is just some soy sauce doctored with a bit of worcestershire and sesame oil.

Char Siu Bao - 

4 oz smoked pork belly
2 tbsp minced shallot
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp 7 spice powder
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 package frozen puff pastry
1 egg, beaten

Remove puff pastry from freezer and allow to thaw.  Set oven to 400 degrees.
Cook the pork belly and shallot in a touch of canola oil over medium heat until fragrant ~ 5 minutes.
Add garlic, sesame oil and 7 spice powder and cook for one more minute.  Add lemon juice and stir well.
Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool.

Once puff pastry is thawed cut out eight 4" circles from the dough (I used a wide mouth canning jar).
Mound 1 heaping tbsp of the filling onto a circle of dough.  wet edges, fold over and use a fork to crimp.
Remove the filled pastries to a parchment lines baking sheet.
Brush the pastries with the egg wash and bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown and serve.

Note:  Anthony's strawberry/hot pepper ferment made an excellent dipping sauce for these.  That's his squat bottle pictured above with the fried Shu Mai.  Good stuff bro!   :)

Dan Tat - 

For the crust:

1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg, beaten

Preheat the over to 400 degrees. Let the butter come to room temp.  Mix the flour and the powdered sugar and cut in the butter till the mix resembles bread crumbs.  Add the egg and vanilla and mix until the dough forms.  Roll into 2" balls and press into tart pans.

For the filling:

4 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1 tbsp jasmine flowers
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup evaporated milk

Combine the water, jasmine flowers and sugar and bring to a boil, stirring well.  When a boil is reached remove from heat, add lemon juice and allow to cool to room temp.
Beat the eggs with the evaporated milk.  Strain into the cooled simple syrup.
Mix the eggs and simple syrup well and then pour about 1 cup into each tart.
Bake in a 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes until the filling has browned slightly and puffed up a bit.  (shake the pan to make sure they aren't still liquid.)
Cool on a rack and then serve with a lemon wedge.

Thanks for looking!   :)

Last minute changes in schedule makes changes in the menu!
Whip up some dumpling yeast dough and steam up some Pork dumplings. 
DSC_0083.JPG

DSC_0086.JPG

Dang, thems some Ugly Dumplin's!!!  :lol:
DSC_0085.JPG

DSC_0087.JPG

SmokenFire said:

It's been a while since I've had dim sum, and I have never made it before today.  Chicago has an excellent chinatown, and the dim sum runs thick on Archer Ave.  Phoenix restaurant is the place I go to most, and today was my attempt to make 3 of their dishes which are my favorites.

Oh nice, I was eyeballing that restaurant when we was staying downtown for the xmas lights parade (that sucked btw) the menu sounded really good but i'm always scared of chinese places because of a nut and shellfish allergy. Too much anxiety wondering if i'm going to be alright. 

"Rice Noodle Fruit" And "Curried Siu Mai" Dim Sum

[SIZE=medium]I was finally able to divert some energy into seeing what this TD was about. I decided I'd probably be only able to pull off the minimum, which in hindsight was a wise decision since I ended up having dough problems. I chose to make "Rice Noodle Fruit (possibly so-named because of shape,) and Curried "Siu Mai" (a sort of variation on traditional dim sum.) To me, the two dim sum I chose weren't all that different from cooking Tamales. The differences were in the filling and perhaps the dough makeup. I made one batch of dough which ended up not working well come plating time, and I had a second batch of dough already made that sat overnight; which worked well in my opinion. Since the first batch of Rice Noodle Fruit could have been better dough wise, I made another batch of the second dough mix and made a new batch of Rice Noodle Fruit. This ended up leaving me with a funny plating picture situation-but it is what it is. Cooking spray on the steamer also seemed to help with sticking, and corn starch as an anti-stick agent was a new miracle (for me anyway) that I discovered in the process. The filling for both featured pork and shrimp, but in different ways. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Ingredient List[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]All Purpose Flour[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]baking soda[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Eggs[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]water[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]corn starch[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]salt [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]sugar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]sesame oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]light soy sauce[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]oyster sauce[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]white pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]chicken broth[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]coriander[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]peanut oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]ground pork[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]shrimp[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]gourmet mushrooms[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]apple cider vinegar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]fresh ginger[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]fresh garlic[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]prepared curry powder[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]cold water[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]beef bouillon[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]scallions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Cayenne Pepper[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make Wheat Flour Dough:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.   Combine flour and baking soda in bowl.  Add two large eggs and knead together with fingers a bit. Dribble in two tablespoons water. Knead again until mixed. Cover bowl with damp cloth and let sit for four hours, or as long as you can.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.  Pour some corn starch on a flat surface and turn dough out onto it. Coat the dough with a bit more corn starch. Using a roller, flatten the dough out very thin. Frequently add more corn starch to surface to reduce sticking. Add filling and shape dough into desired shape. Spray steamers with cooking spray, and then steam for ten minutes. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make Rice Noodle Fruit:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.  To a bowl add:  1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 1 teaspoon light soy sauce, 2 1/2 teaspoons flour, 1 1/2 tablespoons oyster sauce, a bit of white pepper, and 1/2 cup chicken broth. Mix well.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2. Heat pan over high heat (I didn't have a wok.) Add cooked ground pork, gourmet mushrooms, fresh shrimp, some cayenne pepper, and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. Stir and cook until shrimp is pink.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3. Add the Sauce you prepared earlier to the pan. Cook until sauce thickens; this doesn't take much time. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4. When ready to steam, used prepared dough to form desired shapes. Add Rice Noodle Fruit filling to the center and fold according.  Top each dim sum with some scallion pieces.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]5.  Coat steamer with cooking spray. Cook for ten minutes and remove from heat.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make Curried Siu Mai:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1. Using a homemade curry powder,  heat some peanut oil over medium high heat. Add 1 teaspoon each of garlic pieces and grated fresh ginger, and cook until browning starts within reason. Add three tablespoons cold water.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.  Add beef bouillon cube and stir to dissolve. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.  Stir paste until blended. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for ten minutes. Stir frequently.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.  In a pan, combine cooked pork, fresh shrimp, curry paste, some cayenne pepper, and a bit more peanut oil. Cook until shrimp is pink.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]5.  When ready, use prepared dough to form desired shapes. Add some Siu Mai filling to the center, and fold accordingly. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]6.  Top each dim sum with some Scallion pieces.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]7.  Coat steamer again with cooking spray. Cook for ten minutes and remove from heat.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]8.  Drizzle with some Red Oil.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make Red Oil:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.  Add some peanut oil to a pan. Heat on medium heat. Add some Cayenne pepper. Stir. Remove from heat.   [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

Definitely some beautiful food going on in this TD!

D3monic said:

... i'm always scared of chinese places because of a nut and shellfish allergy. Too much anxiety wondering if i'm going to be alright. 

I don't have those particular allergies, but I do have others, so I hear you. But here's the thing - sometimes all you have to do is talk to the restaurant staff. Mongolian BBQ is a stir-fry chain I know that will cook your order back in the kitchen so it does not come into contact with the things you are allergic to. Most sit-down places (not most buffets and definitely not fast-food places) are happy to accommodate diners with allergies. Call ahead and also tell the waiter or cook staff about your allergies once you arrive.

SmokenFire said:

It's been a while since I've had dim sum, and I have never made it before today.  Chicago has an excellent chinatown, and the dim sum runs thick on Archer Ave.  Phoenix restaurant is the place I go to most, and today was my attempt to make 3 of their dishes which are my favorites.  To start we have Shu Mai - a pork and mushroom dumpling with a bit of cabbage seasoned with some jalapeno and a touch of habanero.  I did them two ways; steamed and fried.  The steamed version is most common, but I couldn't resist frying up a few.  Following the Shu Mai we have Char Siu Bao; which is a bbq'd pork dumpling.  I used home smoked pork belly, shallot, garlic, a lil more habs and a touch of lemon juice to pop flavors.  Our last dim sum is Dan Tat - a light egg custard tart flavored with jasmine and lemon.  It's kinda like flan in a pastry shell - way good!   :)

Assembling the ingredients & PoL:

11v6254.jpg

Making the Shu Mai:

2ues407.jpg

Finished product (steamed):

2z8wxno.jpg

Shu Mai (fried):

2w6tf2u.jpg

Moving on to the Char Siu Bao:

2r47k3a.jpg

Mmm tasty!!!

168argx.jpg

Dan Tat:

2jfc2o2.jpg

SNF, YOU'S A COLD BLOODED MURDERER!!!

Salsalady's Dim Sum Somethings

I've never experienced dim sum, so this was all new to me.  After one total failure from not having the proper ingredients, the end results were tasty, spicy, and the family ate it up! 

DSC_0090.JPG

Ahi Sushi-
Ahi Tuna marinated in lime juice and soy sauce
Sushi Rice
cucumber strips
Fresno pepper strips
radish sprouts
nori paper
wasabi paste and soy sauce for dipping

The family wasn't totally keen on raw tuna, so I did a ceviche treatment on the long strips of ahi. 
Spread the sushi rice on the nori, lay in strips of tuna, cucumber, pepper and radish sprouts.  Roll up tight, seal edge with a bit of water.

DSC_0082.JPG

DSC_0097 - Copy.JPG

Chicken Spring Rolls
Mix together-
1 pound ground chicken
1/4c tamari
2 T sake
black pepper (sorry, geeme)
2T corn starch

Cook in a hot wok with a bit of oil until browned.  Remove chicken, add a bit more oil and saute vegetables of choice.  I used-
2c shredded cabbage
1c shredded carrot
1-2 minced chile of choice
1 green onion
2 cloves garlic minced
2 tsp ginger

Add the chicken back in, plop in a couple tablespoons oyster sauce, remove from heat and cool.

Soak rice wrappers in warm water.  Roll about 2 Tbsp filling up in the wrapper like a burrito. At this point, the rolls can be frozen, put in the refer or cooked right away.

when ready to serve, fry rolls in hot oil.

Plum Sauce for spring rolls-
1 jar (18 oz) plum jam
1/4 c soy sauce
1/4 c rice wine (sake)
1/4 c ginger- fresh, grated
1/4 c minced red onion or shallot
2T minced garlic
2 jalapeno minced (I used 1 large jalapeno)
cayenne or other hot chile powder as desired
2T sesame seeds

Simmer everything for 15-20 minutes until onion and jalapeno are soft. Set aside to cool or refrigerate for later use.

DSC_0072.JPG

DSC_0097 - Copy (2).JPG

Steamed Pork Dumplings
Pork Filling
Marinade about a pound of lean diced pork in 2T soy sauce, 2 tsp brown sugar, 1 tsp corn starch, 1 tsp oyster sauce for about 10 minutes.

Chop up veggies of choice.  I used carrot, celery, jicama, Fresno chile, purple onion, and chopped peanuts. 

Saute pork in a hot wok, remove, add veggies, add back the pork, add about 1/2 cup chicken broth to de-glaze the wok.  Cook it down so there's not a lot of moisture.  Remove and cool.

Dumpling dough
1c warm water
3Tb sugar
1 pkg active dry yeast
3 1/4c flour
3Tb vegetable oil
1/4tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

mix water, yeast and sugar in a bowl, let set for about 10 minutes.  Add Oil, Add dry ingredients.  Work into a soft dough, add more flour as needed.  Set dough in an oiled bowl, cover and place in a warm spot to rise until double in size, about an hour.

Remove dough from bowl, work it a couple times with flour on a board.  Divide into about 12 pieces.  Press or roll out the pieces to form circles.  Add a tablespoon of pork filling, bring the dough up and pinch closed.  Place in steamer basket I'd suggest using parchment paper.  Let rest and rise about 15 minutes.  Place basket in steamer and cook about 12 minutes.

Serve with Peanut Sauce-
1 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts (if you don't have a REALLY GOOD blender or food processor, I'd suggest using creamy peanut butter)
1/2c coconut milk
1/3c+ water (to thin as desired)
1tsp soy sauce
2tsp sesame oil (I used hot chile sesame oil)
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp fish sauce
2Tbsp lime juice
1T sambal chile paste or other chile puree/powder of choice

DSC_0086.JPG

DSC_0097 - Copy (3).JPG

Strawberry Rhubarb Tart-
Rinse, trim, and small dice 4 cups rhubarb and 2 cups strawberries.
Simmer with 1 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4c corn starch to make a thick filling.  Set aside to cool.

Shortbread crust-
6Tbsp butter
1/4 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
1 1/2c flour
1 tsp salt

Pulse in food processor or use a pastry cutter until fine crumbles.  Press into cupcake papers in a muffin tin to form small cups.  Bake 375F for about 12 minutes until lightly brown.  Remove from pan and gently peel wrapper away from crust while warm.  Cool on wire rack. 

When ready to serve, spoon a bit of the berry-rhubarb filling into the baked shortbread crust, top with a bit of whipping cream.   Mmmmmmmm!

DSC_0090 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0096.JPG

Thanks for watching!

Nice looking posts!

I gotta go clean the kitchen and do a 4th load of dishes in 2 days....not counting a bunch of stuff I hand washed.  :lol:  then re-wine and I'll be back to peruse everyone's entries.

HopsNBarley said:
Is the 7 spice you used Shichimi Togarashi?

Indeed it is!  I thought about calling it that out the gate but I worried people wouldn't know what it was.  Great, great spice blend - blows chinese 5 spice out of the water imo.  It's a love affair  ;)

SmokenFire...did you post ingredients and recipes for the sauces?  I'm getting caught up on a couple pages of posts, so maybe your original post does....

EDIT- just found your post that does have everythign in there.  Never Mind!!!

:lol:

salsalady said:
SmokenFire...did you post ingredients and recipes for the sauces?  I'm getting caught up on a couple pages of posts, so maybe your original post does....

Ya SL I edited to add what the sauce was w the steamed shu mai just in case.  Thanks for looking out for me.  Now bring me about eleventy sixteen of them strawberry rhubarb tarts stat!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back