• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Dim Sum Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS-  Great Job, Ozzy for your first TD!  Good ideas, and don't worry about not getting the PoL in every picture, it just has to be there somewhere.  Get the measurements/recipe in the post and you are set. 

salsalady said:
PS-  Great Job, Ozzy for your first TD!  Good ideas, and don't worry about not getting the PoL in every picture, it just has to be there somewhere.  Get the measurements/recipe in the post and you are set. 
Thanks. I have everything written down. Lol I was about to throw my computer against the wall. I didn't have to patience to type it all out again. I'll edit it in the morning.

salsalady said:

Yea POL only had to be one of the pics (i'd go with ingredient). Def leave it out of your final pics because it detracts from the image.. and even though we know what it's for there's still the , "eww  pocket change" with that food reaction

EDIT is your friend!  :lol:  especially when DP-ing.  Buit that's called a Dipsy (DPSE).  Whole other topic.  :lol:  you can edit to your heart's content up until the time deadline on Sunday.

Relax, have another jalapeno-sake drink...you've earned it! 

Ozzy2001 said:
Ozzy's Dim Sum Sampler....

Rookie mistake, i forgot my quarter in the final pic.

Pictured above is a trio of Chinese BBQ Pork Buns, Vegetarian Mushroom Dumplings, and good ole fashioned Pork Pot Stickers.  The drink pictured is a Pineapple-Sake Sangria with Jalapeno.

The Chinese BBQ Pork Buns

Vegetarian Mushroom Dumplings

Pork Pot Stickers

Again all the ingredients before starting

The Pork Buns were made with pork belly marinated in a home made Char Siu sauce.  The filling had shallots and sesame oil along with the pork belly.  The wrapper was made using a Chinese steamed bun recipe.  I kneaded the dough, let it rise for an hour and then rolled it into a 1 1/2" roll.  I chopped off about an 1 1/2" at a time and flattened them out by hand, filled them, and wrapped them.  Steamed them in a bamboo steamer on the wok.  Out of the wok i put an Asian bbq sauce that I made with hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, fish sauce, soy sauce, honey, shallots, garlic, ginger, sugar, and Chinese 5 spice.

The vegetarian dumplings were made with 1lb of portabella mushrooms (no shittakke were available...pft)  Also had carrots, cabbage, kim chi, garlic, chili paste, hot oil, and jalapenos.  I made seperate dough for the dumplings because the dough for the buns had sugar in it, and I didn't want it in the dumplings.

The pot stickers were made with ground pork, cabbage, kim chi, garlic, mushrooms, hoisin sauce, ginger, sesame oil, chili paste, fresh thai basil, and red pepper.  I used store bought wrappers for the pot stickers because I couldn't get the dough thin enough and not tear apart for the frying pan.  Lol the first ones I made with the dough came out like empenadas.

All of the fillings again

The Pineapple-Sake Sangria with Jalapeno was made first by making a simple syrup with sliced jalapenos, mixing it with the pineapple juice, pineapple chunks, and a bottle of sake. Also smashed up some mint in it before serving.

Overall, I was pretty happy with my first Throwdown performance.  I wish I could have made it spicier, but the kids were eating it too.  They ate them as fast as they came out of the steamer lol.  It was fun making something that I have never made before and I am anxious to see what everyone else makes too.  I also planned on a dessert.  If I have time I may make it tomorrow.  I didn't have any eggs and I was totally stuffed after eating all of this lol.

Also if you need more details on the ingredients I can add them.  I already typed this out once, and the internet froze up after I hit post, so I had to retype.  I didn't feel like typing it all out twice  :banghead:

That looks good as fck. Love me some pot stickers. Gotta be fried. I don't even mind those frozen bagged ones in the grocery section. Half the time they are better than ones at a restaurant. I'm all over that plate 

D3monic said:

That looks good as fck. Love me some pot stickers. Gotta be fried. I don't even mind those frozen bagged ones in the grocery section. Half the time they are better than ones at a restaurant. I'm all over that plate 
Thanks D3. I love them too. The buns really turned out great though. They were my favorite. The sauce on top really set it off, not to mention I put some sugar in the dough for those, so the bun had a little sweetness too. They were also surprisingly light.

Ozzy2001 said:
Thanks D3. I love them too. The buns really turned out great though. They were my favorite. The sauce on top really set it off, not to mention I put some sugar in the dough for those, so the bun had a little sweetness too. They were also surprisingly light.

Sounds good, almost like those sweet buns you get at Chinese buffets. But with a filling

And so it begins:

11v6254.jpg

Bummer. My stomach is acting up big time today, so I don't think I'll be doing any more cooking, let alone eating. I'll post what I've made so far in my thread later on. 

Ozzy - GREAT entry!

That's a bummer, g~. 

I've been at it since 8:30, and still not done, but I think everything is prepped for the final cook.  It's all messed up today because I have to go to a play with the 'Kid from 1:30-4:30....deadline for posting is 7:00 Pacific.....so I'm getting a bit of a head start by posting some recipes so later it's just copy/paste into the final post.

On a wok-about the yard yesterday, I spied the rhubarb patch that I always forget about.  I hadn't planned on doing a dessert dim sum, but couldn't pass up the opportunity.
DSC_0066.JPG

Strawberry Rhubarb Tart-
Rinse, trim, and small dice 4 cups rhubarb and 2 cups strawberries.
Simmer with 1 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4c corn starch to make a thick filling.  Set aside to cool.

Shortbread crust-
6Tbsp butter
1/4 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
1 1/2c flour
1 tsp salt

Pulse in food processor or use a pastry cutter until fine crumbles.  Press into cupcake papers in a muffin tin to form small cups.  Bake 375F for about 12 minutes until lightly brown.  Remove from pan and gently peel wrapper away from crust while warm.  Cool on wire rack. 

DSC_0067.JPG

DSC_0069.JPG

DSC_0068.JPG

(baked crusts are visible in picture below.)

Spring Rolls-
Filling prep posted yesterday.

Soak rice wrappers in warm water until pliable.  Place on wood board, Spoon about a tablespoon of filling onto one side a little bit away from the edge,  Fold the bottom edge over the filling, fold the sides in, and roll it up.  Just like making a burrito~
DSC_0070.JPG

DSC_0071.JPG

DSC_0072.JPG

Plum Sauce for spring rolls-
1 jar (18 oz) plum jam
1/4c soy sauce
1/4 c rice wine (sake)
1/4 c ginger- fresh, grated
1/4 c minced red onion or shallot
2T minced garlic
2 jalapeno minced (I used 1 large jalapeno)
cayenne or other hot chile powder as desired
2T sesame seeds

Simmer everything for 15-20 minutes until onion and jalapeno are soft. Set aside to cool or refrigerate for later use.

Pork Dumplings of some sort-
This is the one I didn't find the wheat starch for, so I'll be trying it with arrowroot.  Here's the filling-
Marinade about a pound of lean diced pork in 2T soy sauce, 2 tsp brown sugar, 1 tsp corn starch, 1 tsp oyster sauce for about 10 minutes.

Chop up veggies of choice.  I used carrot, celery, jicama, Fresno chile, purple onion, and chopped peanuts.  Will add cilantro right before making the dumplings.

DSC_0075.JPG

wok-away, wok-away...
DSC_0077.JPG

set aside to cool.  Also notice Wasabi Powder, mix with water for sushi rolls.
DSC_0078.JPG

Peanut Sauce for Pork Dumplings-
1 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts (if you don't have a REALLY GOOD blender or food processor, I'd suggest using creamy peanut butter)
1/2c coconut milk
1/3c+ water (to thin as desired)
1tsp soy sauce
2tsp sesame oil (I used hot chile sesame oil)
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp fish sauce
2Tbsp lime juice
1T sambal chile paste or other chile puree/powder of choice

SL your spring rolls look wonderful! I've always been afraid of rice paper. Have any problems with them?

Alynne said:
SL your spring rolls look wonderful! I've always been afraid of rice paper. Have any problems wit h them?
Thanks Alynne.  I was really surprised at how strong they were.  After soaking for about 20 seconds in warm water they were kinda slippery and a little weird to work with.  I wiped off the cutting board between each roll and that helped.  They were in the refer for about an hour before cooking and kind of dried out a bit.  I was worried about all the water when deep frying, but didn't have any issues. 

Here's the one that DIDN'T turn out.  :lol:

I mixed 150g arrowroot flour with 250ml boiling water and mixed in tapioca until it was a very stretchy dough.  Pressed a couple chunks with the tortilla press to get circles, put a spoon =ful of pork filling and crimped the edge.  The first one I put in a steamer.  It came out a gelatinous mess.  :lol:  Couldn't even get it off the steamer basket.

DSC_0081.JPG

DSC_0080.JPG

Second one, I tried to deep fry.  It came out a gelatinous mess with a crispy shell.  I took a bite and spit it out.  Then I took it over to the 'Kid and had him take a bite.   He got the weirdest look in his face and spit it out.  :lol:  I know, I'm a bad mom~~~  

:rofl:

At least I have the pork filling, which is very tasty.  I'll figure out what to do with it later.  No time

geeme said:
Bummer. My stomach is acting up big time today, so I don't think I'll be doing any more cooking, let alone eating. I'll post what I've made so far in my thread later on. 

Ozzy - GREAT entry!
Thanks. Sorry your under the weather.
salsalady said:
Thanks Alynne.  I was really surprised at how strong they were.  After soaking for about 20 seconds in warm water they were kinda slippery and a little weird to work with.  I wiped off the cutting board between each roll and that helped.  They were in the refer for about an hour before cooking and kind of dried out a bit.  I was worried about all the water when deep frying, but didn't have any issues. 

Here's the one that DIDN'T turn out.  :lol:

I mixed 150g arrowroot flour with 250ml boiling water and mixed in tapioca until it was a very stretchy dough.  Pressed a couple chunks with the tortilla press to get circles, put a spoon =ful of pork filling and crimped the edge.  The first one I put in a steamer.  It came out a gelatinous mess.  :lol:  Couldn't even get it off the steamer basket.

DSC_0081.JPG
DSC_0080.JPG

Second one, I tried to deep fry.  It came out a gelatinous mess with a crispy shell.  I took a bite and spit it out.  Then I took it over to the 'Kid and had him take a bite.   He got the weirdest look in his face and spit it out.  :lol:  I know, I'm a bad mom~~~  

:rofl:

At least I have the pork filling, which is very tasty.  I'll figure out what to do with it later.  No time
Lol I had a couple that I tossed out. It's hard folding those things. The videos make it look easy lol.

Wow you guys are posting killer stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back