beer Begin! : May TD: Golden Stout

Jbeers stuff is on point too

I really want to see him rock out a Kolsch. Instead of going insane and out of the realm of normal, I think he can pull off an absolute baller simple kolsch that tastes amazing.

I am gonna say he will be the one to beat on this next one, as all his stuff is perfect for this style

i have a different problem ...

i have motivation problems with doing additional work (bottling, shipping) for something i don't give two shits about ...

i told wheebz already, but not everyone - i'm VERY unlikely to brew another beer that isn't one i'm personally passionate about ... it takes tooooo long to brew, to brew beer i'm not passionate about ...

as someone who never gave a fuck about brewing to style, if it's going to come down to scoring, why don't we just brew whatever we want and the highest score wins? ...

i only brewed the Kolsch to be a sport and try to keep participation up, but i can't brew often enough to brew beers i don't really want to drink ...

then wheebz doesn't have to group beers to drink and review at once, either ...

i have to say, i basically want to brew big stouts and dipa's 80% of the time ...
i'm not really built for consensus =)

grantmichaels said:
i have a different problem ...
i have motivation problems with doing additional work (bottling, shipping) for something i don't give two shits about ...
i told wheebz already, but not everyone - i'm VERY unlikely to brew another beer that isn't one i'm personally passionate about ... it takes tooooo long to brew, to brew beer i'm not passionate about ...
as someone who never gave a f**k about brewing to style, if it's going to come down to scoring, why don't we just brew whatever we want and the highest score wins? ...
i only brewed the Kolsch to be a sport and try to keep participation up, but i can't brew often enough to brew beers i don't really want to drink ...
then wheebz doesn't have to group beers to drink and review at once, either ...
i have to say, i basically want to brew big stouts and dipa's 80% of the time ...i'm not really built for consensus =)
I completely get that. I see it in the food throwdowns. If I don't like it, I don't make it. Even though I kinda bombed, there is some novelty to me in trying to brew to different styles.

i like the bottling and sharing beer, i like the scoring, i don't mind a little competition, but i just don't have a vast enough appreciation for many of the varied styles! ...

Yeah. I was thinking earlier maybe we could just require a % of an ingredient. Like at least 33% wheat and have at it. I wasn't wild about the Kolsxh either, but I wanted to try something different that I'm not crazy about.

I do like brewing for a style, just to see if I can hit it. I feel that l learn a lot by trying to hit guidelines. But to have a broader range of styles definitely appeals to me. Even if we don't do a % we could do IPA. You could do a DIPA, a NEIPA, APA etc and still meet the guidelines. I think a broad scope would be good since we don't have a ton of participants.

i'm happy to talk about beers i am not necessarily interested in actually brewing, and i think we'll still see a lot of styles ...

i plan to brew a wee heavy, a neipa, that correhuela batch, and a style i'd never heard of that came out a conversation with WW from CCB ...

but i have brewed 3x times already, and i don't have any Red Eye in my keezer, nor a delicious big stout ...

i just have too many ingredients that i'm dying to use, to brew beers that won't let me ...

we could consider expanding to a 100 point score, the 50 we have plus 50 from stuff like relevance, difficulty, relative improvement, naming, packaging etc ...
or not, lol ...

either way, i'm def brewing a dipa and a big-ass stout before i brew anything else ...

gotta stop buying bottles on top of ingredients, and diet-wise, i can't really be drinking beers that i don't really want, because i always chase them down with one's that i do haha ...

I mean I am up for whatever you guys want to do

the reason RM and I did it this was was to give you insight into brewing different styles than you normally would

if you have suggestions about how you want to change it up, I am all for it, just come to a consensus and we can work around it

Ozzy, congratulations Brother! That's 2 in a row now so I guess I need to get settled back in and come kick you off the thrown

wheebz said:

You could switch sanitizers, that could be affecting it, or switch processes. Wear gloves when handing your brewing equipment. Do not make it in an environment where you might have introduces those things into a hot sauce. Rocketman dealt with that before. He does fermented hot sauces, and had an infection in his beers because he did it in the same space he did his hot sauces. That was 3 or 4 years ago, and it happened once. Obviously he has changed his methods from that point. Hell it happened to me about 5 years ago a couple of times when I made stuff in a kitchen that also prepped food at the restaurant I used to be employed at.

Yep, I remember that, it was right after we Moved into this house and I did the first brew in the Rocket Room. I had just a couple of pepper ferments going and had processed one. It was fun storing everything all sealed up but with little ventilation in there what went into the atmosphere stayed and got into everything till I aired it out really well. Also be careful about cross usage of your equipment. I read about guys that brew and then decide to use one of their pales for a big batch of a fermented sauce. Well, ok but you better sanitize the heck out of it. I used one for the sauce I made for my daughters wedding. I washed it really well and then ran it through a cycle with strong bleach water solution and then Iodophor still Iodophored it again before brewing in it again.

Now when I brew I take everything out of there and spray down the outside of the packages with Iodophor before I open it. I also pay special attention to anything I have that's made of plastic. I still use Ale Pales, yes I want to get some glass carboys but there's other things on my list I want to get first, and every time I use them I inspect them before and after use for scratches. If I find one I won't use it for brewing anymore as all kinds of crud can hide there that I don't want in my beer or my sauces.

Follow our Fermented Sensei's advice, call him next time you brew. Maybe you could video your brewing process and send him a link to it so he can watch it and catch anything that might be questionable. To me this is, like maki g fermented hot sauces, one of the best hobbies around. It allows us to be super creative, to laugh at our f'ups and to go Dang, how did so do that when something really really good turns out.

wheebz said:
JBeer- Something Something Vanilla Chocolate Power weird Jalapeno Something beer

8/12 Aroma – Coffee dominates, but I get a weird aroma of jalapenos or other peppers. I hope there wasn’t a cross contamination of some sorts.  Note to everyone. Stop doing tinctures. They leave flavors and smells behind when you are incorporating them into only 5 gallons or less of beer.

2/3 Appearance. Color is spot on. Foam is great, head retention is great, lacing isn’t there. Dies very quickly

15/20 Flavor – Coffee is the dominant note, which is awesome, but everything else falls by the wayside. Nothing really melds together really well, but everything fits pleasantly. I am detecting something weird, but I have no idea what it is. It isn’t a usual flavor I would find with something going bad during the process.

3/5 Mouthfeel – A little lackluster on the body. Which is odd because I see your grain bill which looks great. Maybe could have increased that mash temp by 2-3 degrees to hit that big body. Might want to look in to your water profile and your chloride levels on that one.

7/10 Overall – Not bad at all. I liked it, and it fit in the category, but it was missing more chocolate and more roast. As I said to grant in his review, it was probably my fault on this one because I have been engraining all of you with the “subtle is better” mentality, except for a beer like this where you have to just throw it all out there because that is the definition of the style
35/50 Total

Sorry for the delayed response, just got back into town and seeing this for the first time tonight

I just had one and I do not detect any aromas of peppers, just coffee.  What do you mean by tinctures?

I am a bit confused on the flavor.  When I sampled it prior to bottling to check the coffee flavor level, I could easily taste vanilla, chocolate, and coffee but when I had this last one, I could only really detect coffee as well.

I would have liked my mash temp to be a bit warmer as well.  The water that I have used for all my brewing comes from a 208 foot in the ground well so I am not sure what the chemical composition of it is but seems to be good

Being new to this style, I did not want to go overboard on any ingredient but I agree more roast and chocolate flavor would be better.  I will brew this again and use these recommendations to see how it turns out.

Happy Father's day!

wheebz said:
Jbeers stuff is on point too

I really want to see him rock out a Kolsch. Instead of going insane and out of the realm of normal, I think he can pull off an absolute baller simple kolsch that tastes amazing.

I am gonna say he will be the one to beat on this next one, as all his stuff is perfect for this style

Sigh... I had planned on brewing my Kolsch Tomorrow or Tuesday but realized that I am leaving next Wednesday to help my sister move and will not be back until the first week of July sometime so I cannot do this one which sucks because I have already purchased the yeast and hops for this brew.  I will still brew it when I get back and send you a bottle with July's brewdown shipment to get your take on it

Back