beer Begin! : May TD: Golden Stout

Ozzy2001 said:
I only have one more bottle of mine. I'm going to crack it open after the review, so I can try to detect what the critiques are.

Yes, that's the only reason I've been pushing hwheebz to post ... I have like two remaining, and I'm trying to put one in the back of the fridge to see what it's like after a couple of months ...

Mostly I've just wanted to do the same, drink one while reading the review ... last night I just cracked open another bottle of Caffe Americano and scratched the itch, but wheebz delay has cost a Ten Fidy, and two bottles of Caffe Americano so far, LOL ...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

alright you beer sluts!!!!

Having had all the beers, I already know what to expect from the final two. The way I do this is out of the two bottles you send me, the first one I drink like I would any other normal beer, just to get first impressions

the second one I sit down and review and pick apart

two of the reviews are done, the other two I am doing right now, and will be finished with in around 30 minutes, depending on what all I write

first up, Kiss with a Fist

grant made it, so I know its going to taste like the heel of my brewery boot

gotta get the music pumping for the review

here is where we are right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgScCNz6N_Y

Here we go with reviews

once again, the winner is Ozzy

he is either cheating by pouring other peoples beers into his labeled bottles, or completely copy pasta-ing recipes from homebrew sites (which is not a bad idea, because his technique is flawless) and using his own techniques

sorry if this causes problems, or animosity, I am just the reviewer and call it as I taste it

TC TEN TEN
Something Something Donald Trump Something Worst Presidential Candidate ever Something Stout
Category: Golden Stout

6/12 Aroma: Lactic acid, strawberry, banana, mango, peaches, thought it was a berlinerweiss. Smells incredibly awesome, if it was a Berliner. However it is not a berliner, since it is supposed to be a golden stout

2/3 Appearance: Perfect color. Good clarity. No head retention, but still minimal lacing

10/20 Flavor: Fruit dominant, with a slight metallic tinge at the end. Some spiced flavor, but probably from the lacto infection. All the stout characteristics have been washed away.

3/5 Mouthfeel: rich and thick like the beer should be, but on the edge of roapy, indicative of a LAB infection. If you take this beer and toss in a bret Brux or Anomalus strain, and let it sit for 6 months, you will have a 48/50 american sour ale

5/10 Overall: Dude when I tasted this the other day, I was like FUCK YEA STRAWBERRY IN A STOUT! And I am going to use white chocolate in another beer thanks to this idea.  And now that I have gotten rid of the cold, I realized why. Bad infection combined with high fermentation temperatures led to this beer just running rampant. Honestly if you would have thrown this in a Berliner or American sour ale category, as of right now, it would be pretty decent. It is going to get worse, so drink it now.

26/50: I hate to be an asshole, because your sauces are some of the best ive ever had, and your food for the TDs is on point. But until you get the fermentation temp in check, it’s going to be difficult. That is your biggest most difficult hurdle. That can absolutely affect a wild infection running rampant too. The less control over your temps, the more of an ideal environment you create for any random creepy crawlies to get in there and do their horrible thing.

Ozzy 2001
Something Something Golden Stout Something Balls In Your Face Something
Category: Golden Stout
11/12 Aroma: Chocolate, Cocoa, Coffee, and Nougat. Its like a cake in a glass.

1/3 Appearance: Head Renention is baller, color is way dark, and as cloudy as a New England IPA, like gravy

18/20 Flavor: I don’t understand how you do this on a home brew level. Absolutely nothing bad to say about this beer. Reminds me of chocolate whipped cream, vanilla cappuccino, a lingering ice cream and childhood memory from each sip. I told you this in the PM I sent you, but either 1. You are cheating, or 2. You should come make beer with me.

4/5 mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth, like a nitrogenated coffee.

8/10 Overall: Better than your tripel, and tied with the other best home brewed beer I ever had, which was a pilsner. Fucking spectacular.

42/50 - MAKE IT PRETTY LOOKING!!!!!

Grantmichaels – Something Something kissing and fisting something or other you are ugly

8/12 Aroma  - Everything is there, but I really have to search for ingredients. If I did not see your recipe, it would have taken me hours to figure out what that was. Coffee is there, but subdued. For a beer called a Golden Stout, even though there are no real style guidelines, I want to smell and taste a full on stout.

2/3 Appearance – Baller head (giggity). Amazing head retention and foam characteristics, the best beer ive seen yet from these competitions. It is just dark. Like too dark, like amber ale dark. Clarity is more than acceptable.

16/20 Flavor – That fusel I talked about isn’t TOTALLY gone, but not nearly as dominant as I thought it was when I had the first bottle. It was probably the cold medicine I was chugging. Subtle cocoa, subtle coffee, but I can’t shake the remindings of like a double malt colt 45. I mean it reminds me very much like that. Huge dextrins and long chain sugars. It is very “beery”. Very subdued esters, lager-ish characteristics. Slight DMS. It actually took me the 20 minutes or so writing this review to pick it out as it warmed up, but its there. I am not gonna dock you on points, as typically you wouldn’t take this long to review a beer from a BJCP or WBC standpoint, but know that its there.

4/5 Mouthfeel – Rich in dextrins. Hence the reason it reminded me of colt 45. Lots of unbroken sugar chains. Perfect for a stout. And good carbonation. I have only ever rated one beer a perfect mouthfeel before, and that was that pilsner that I compared Ozzy’s beer to.

7/10 Overall – I think this is more my fault than your fault. I always tell you to be subtle with the coffee, and subtle with the spices, however in a beer like this, its basically the opposite. The nature of the style is subtle malt bill, but huge everything else to make up for that small subtlety.
36/50 Total Score.

JBeer- Something Something Vanilla Chocolate Power weird Jalapeno Something beer

8/12 Aroma – Coffee dominates, but I get a weird aroma of jalapenos or other peppers. I hope there wasn’t a cross contamination of some sorts.  Note to everyone. Stop doing tinctures. They leave flavors and smells behind when you are incorporating them into only 5 gallons or less of beer.

2/3 Appearance. Color is spot on. Foam is great, head retention is great, lacing isn’t there. Dies very quickly

15/20 Flavor – Coffee is the dominant note, which is awesome, but everything else falls by the wayside. Nothing really melds together really well, but everything fits pleasantly. I am detecting something weird, but I have no idea what it is. It isn’t a usual flavor I would find with something going bad during the process.

3/5 Mouthfeel – A little lackluster on the body. Which is odd because I see your grain bill which looks great. Maybe could have increased that mash temp by 2-3 degrees to hit that big body. Might want to look in to your water profile and your chloride levels on that one.

7/10 Overall – Not bad at all. I liked it, and it fit in the category, but it was missing more chocolate and more roast. As I said to grant in his review, it was probably my fault on this one because I have been engraining all of you with the “subtle is better” mentality, except for a beer like this where you have to just throw it all out there because that is the definition of the style
35/50 Total

Awesome. God's honest I'm not cheating lol. On the tripel I listened to Jamil on brew network talking about the best Tripels. I took notes from that altered the recipe for the SmaSh requirement.

This recipe was all mine. Nothing too complex about it. I forgot the Whirlfoc tablet. I used some gelatin, but it didn't clear it up all the way.

Thanks for the compliment. I sincerely appreciate it. Hopefully, my Kolsch isn't a huge disappointment after these two beers lol.

Wheebz, couple of questions. Is the infection due to just high ferm temps? What do you consider high temps? This fermed at room temp 68f. I thought that was/is acceptable for US-05. I appreciate your honesty, it will only help me improve.

Congrats Ozzy. Job well done again.

TC to be 100% honest on this one it definitely wasnt just fermentation temps

that played a roll, but somehow there was a lacto or even pedio presence, hence the ropey flavors and mouthfeel

something happened along the way to allow for an infection of that caliber

i will be honest, yes the cold did play a huge part in the waiting of me reviewing these beers, by about a week

however, I did taste all the first round of bottles within a day or two of them getting delivered, and then purposely waited what I thought was going to be a week, but ended up because of the head cold being two weeks

I wanted to see if stability and infections would be an issue compared to the last round, and I was right. 

It had to be a primary infection too, as in before primary fermentation, because any LAB wouldnt have worked itself into a beer that quick in just two weeks unless it was present before or during active primary fermentation

You could switch sanitizers, that could be affecting it, or switch processes. Wear gloves when handing your brewing equipment. Do not make it in an environment where you might have introduces those things into a hot sauce. Rocketman dealt with that before. He does fermented hot sauces, and had an infection in his beers because he did it in the same space he did his hot sauces. That was 3 or 4 years ago, and it happened once. Obviously he has changed his methods from that point. Hell it happened to me about 5 years ago a couple of times when I made stuff in a kitchen that also prepped food at the restaurant I used to be employed at.

The less you allow your beer to be open to the environment, the better. That means throwing a lid on your kettle during whirlpool. Making sure when you are cooling your wort a lid is on that too. Sanitize with iodophor!!!. Star San is sketchy, and while people live by it, I don't like it from a professional standpoint.

Call me on the phone when you are brewing. Walk me through your entire process. I have no problem answering phone calls. Ask grant. I hate his stupid face but I talk to him on the phone AT LEAST twice a week, although recently it has been about his dumb hideous stupid burger stuff.

TC

please call me when you are doing your next beer in the next two weeks

Your ideas are fucking spot on dude, I just think there is a breakdown in how you are processing your final product. Reading your recipes, there should be nothing wrong with these beers (minus the white chocolate in this one, but you knew that once you used it from the oils and stuff)

There has to be a single factor that we can improve on to make all of your beers better

That is pretty interesting. I do ferment peppers, pickles, kraut and of course dough. It is all done in the same space, my kitchen. I hope it was a one time thing but you will be able to let me know in a couple of weeks when you get the Kolsch.

My sour batch I attribute to the starter in a mason jar that I had fermented peppers in before I got a flask that I only use for brewing. Iodophor is all I use too. I have read negative reviews of Stsr San aside from Wheebz. I've never used that.
TC I'm wanting to see your Kolsch reviewed bit looks really good.

wheebz said:
TC

please call me when you are doing your next beer in the next two weeks

Your ideas are f**king spot on dude, I just think there is a breakdown in how you are processing your final product. Reading your recipes, there should be nothing wrong with these beers (minus the white chocolate in this one, but you knew that once you used it from the oils and stuff)

There has to be a single factor that we can improve on to make all of your beers better
I will hold off in brewing my Kolsch again until you taste what I have already brewed. That way you can let me know if it happened again. Then I will take you up on your offer.

I'm going to put in my .02 frankly only because I'm watching something ...

The SMaSH was down to the dry saison yeast, don't you think? - in all my travels, *nobody* used dry yeasts for that style ...

smash TD was absolutely the yeast for TC

Belle Saison yeast sucks butthole

however even then, the recipe was sound, and their might have been an infection, but I basically drank those beers with a day of two of getting them

i delayed this time half on purpose, and half on account of the sickness, and half i wanted to see if anyone had infection problems

the beauty of a Kolsch, and the reason I wanted to do this beer so bad, is it will be apparent from day 1 or day 30 if something is fucked

Back