beer Begin! : May TD: Golden Stout

alright assholes

I can officially say I have drank one of every one of your beers

I havent officially reviewed any of them, because I am still a tad congested, and I could tell by my food I ate today I am not ready to do legitimate judging as of yet

HOWEVER

I will say this. I am a little disappointing in the lack of full on stout flavor from all of you. And I mean ALL of you. You too last months winner. 

Good news though, there werent any of them that were bad. There was one with a big apparent off flavor, but it was because of the equipment, not because of the recipe or sanitation or anything of that nature. Well, might be the recipe, because ive never seen anyone use this ingredient in beer before ever, but it does fit the idea of a golden stout, so A+ for effort on that one..

I wanted a punch in the face. I wanted chocolate. I wanted roast. I wanted coffee. I dont like coffee, but I still wanted it. I wanted richness. 

All of these beers should have been in the 8-12% range. Give me that body!!!. I said that to a girl at the bar last week, and she slapped me, but thats neither here nor there. Probably had something to do with me having my hand down my pants when I said it but whatever.

If it was me researching a category that isnt really a category of style, I would have googled golden stout best example, and then searched "clone of" said recipe, just to give me an idea of where I was going off of since there are no style guidelines.

That being said. I will say there was a clear winner. I am also going to post my entire 7bbl 220 gallon recipe for a Cappuccino Porter I am doing, and all you will have to do is substitute out the percentages of grain from the previous comment like 4 or 5 pages ago about my ratio, for the ratio of grains that I will post now.

[SIZE=16pt]Collusion Tap Works Cappuccino Porter  7bbl [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]DATE:                                    TANK:                                                    TURN #:                 BREW ID:              [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]MALT[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]                                    POUND                  16 P                         BOIL SCHEDULE               TIME                POUNDS     [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Marris Otter                            365                                                          [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Flaked Barley                          38                            22  IBU                   Galena     @ 13AA                 Boil                         19oz[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]C60                                         26                                                                                                            [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Chocolate                16                                                                            [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Debittered Carafa III               11                                                                                            [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Total                                        456                          [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]                                                                                MASH PROGRAM              [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]MASH WATER 3.5:1          gallons                       TEMP                     Calcium Chloride 2.5oz           Acid: 25ml [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]                                START TIME                                                         Calcium Sulfate 1oz Target pH (5.4-5.5)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Step one:                                                                                                 Mash in @ 152       Temp:                      pH:         [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]step two:                                                                                                  [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]                                                                LAUTER PROGRAM[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Mash temp                                                                              [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]vorlauf                                                                                                                     Coffee Beans @ Dump           1 LB  [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]to kettle                                                                                                                    Cacao Nibs @ Crash               1.5kg       [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]end sparge               sparge volume                                                                         Vanilla Beans @ Crash           4oz[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Lauter Time[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] (to kettle - kettle full time)                 [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]!!!REMOVE COFFEE BEANS AT CRASH!!![/SIZE]     

[SIZE=9pt]                                                                KETTLE PROGRAM[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]bottom fired[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]both fired[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]KETTLE FULL VOLUME [/SIZE][SIZE=7pt](TARGET =8.5 bbl)                                                           [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]FERMCAP:          30ml[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]kettle full time (reset steam meter)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]boil start (add Kettle Hops)                                                                                                     Kettle gravity =[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Yeastex:  2oz @ 75 min [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Whirlfloc 20 tabs @ 80min.                                                                                                    Kettle pH =[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]boil end (90 min)                                                                                                                     Steam = [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]                                                                WHIRLPOOL PROGRAM[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]whirlpool full time (add W-Pool Hops)                  NO FERMCAP     Whirlpool gravity=[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]transfer start (rest 20 min)[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]                                                                                                       Whirlpool pH =[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]transfer end (cool in @ 66F)                                                                                                   Oxygen= 5 LPM                    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]BBL COOL IN [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]                                                                Pitch: 500G US-05                                                                Ferment @ 67 degrees [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]All data is filled out correctly. Signed Off  by:                                               Date:                  Time;                            [/SIZE]  

I'll concede never thinking mine had roast, but being scared to keep pushing it with additions in secondary simply because I liked what it was ...

But, if you aren't getting coffee, that's crazy ... because I can smell coffee when I pop the cap, so you might pick that up on the 2nd bottle ...

grantmichaels said:
I'll concede never thinking mine had roast, but being scared to keep pushing it with additions in secondary simply because I liked what it was ...

But, if you aren't getting coffee, that's crazy ... because I can smell coffee when I pop the cap, so you might pick that up on the 2nd bottle ...
A put a bottle of it in your box....for two reasons

1. The label is a collectors item
2. That way you can see if you taste the same off flavor so that Wheebz describes.

yes

and yes

Ive never seen white chocolate used, that was pretty cool, as I never thought of it, but it turned into a strawberry kind of deal, which was weird, but now I really want to experiment with it in an upcoming IPA I have an idea for, so thanks for that!

and yes, you need temp control, because dude as far as fundamentals go, its fucking spot on, but that temp control will make your shit shine, literally

I want to do a Lychee IPA, and that white chocolate would be perfect, and ive never thought of that before, so kudos

this cigar however, tastes like shit

so glad they retail for 10 bucks a stick...

And I bought a 10 pack :(

guess i know what i'm having next, now, lol ...

aa4b2849dab8f190f53e33f928c43b15.jpg

I decided to try the white chocolate to keep the color as golden as possible. I could not find nibs so I used bakers chocolate. Even after a 60 minute boil, there still was residual oil on the top of the wort after fermentation. When I racked to the bottling bucket I did my bedt to leave all that behind.

I guess next time I know to go ahead and add more coffee to the secondary. I did cracked beans in the whirlpool and the coffee still shined after fermentation, but faded after the secondary.

63F, 8.5-9%, straight ratios, no simple sugars ...

160ml SK Rum in 1.75 gal, your nose, or it's travel ...
Ozzy2001 said:
Boozy....just how Grant likes it.
it's not as boozy as *I* like, but it is rum, not whiskey/bourbon ...

Back