• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Noodle Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
2ntkz1x.jpg

m77wpy.jpg

25a18wy.jpg

SALTY'S SMOKED BEEF PORCHINI MUSHROOM RAGU AND THERIAC EGG NOODLE,S

RAGU INGREDIENTS

4# beef chuck smoked with hickory for 4.5 / 5 hours
6 cloves garlic minced
2 medium carrots diced
2 stalks celery diced
3 stalks leeks sliced thin whites
1 bunch parsley
ancho chili & coffee rub courtesy THP
salt and pepper
brazilian starfish powder . courtesy PETER S
28 oz of san marzano tomatoes
3 cups homemade beef stock
750ml good chianti
4 ounces porchini mushrooms and broth from rehydrating
1 sprig rosemary , thyme,parsley
2 tbls tomato paste
1 tbls balsimic vinegar
good parm for topping

INSTRUCTIONS

Rub beef with grey poupon then spice blend . Place roast in smoker with hickory 250 deg for 4 to 5 hours not till tender. Add the onion and garlic to saute pan pot and sauté until fragrant and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add the carrot and the celery and sauté until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.Add the flour and the tomato paste, stir and cook for a minute to get rid of the raw flour taste. Then add the balsamic vinegar and cook, scrapping the bits off the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon, until almost all gone, about 5 minutes.Add the red wine and simmer until reduced by half, about 5 more minutes.Meanwhile, prepare bouquet garni by tying all the fresh herbs together with a kitchen string.When the wine has reduced, add back the smoked beef and the bouquet garni. Add the crushed tomatoes and the beef stock. Bring the liquid to a simmer over medium high heat. Then, cover the dutch oven and transfer to the preheated oven. Cook for 3 hours or until the beef is very tender.If the sauce is too liquidy at the end of the 3 hour cooking period, remove the beef and bring the liquid to the stovetop, over medium heat, to simmer until thickened to your likings.Discard the bouquet garni.Shred the meat into smaller pieces and return to the pot with the sauce. Taste for seasoning and adjust salt and pepper if necessary.Cook the pasta, until al dente.Drain the pasta, reserving a little of the pasta water. Spoon a little of the tomato sauce over the pasta and toss, adding pasta water if necessary.Serve the pasta with the ragu (and some more sauce). Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano.

IMG_20160305_161212_hdr.jpg
IMG_20160305_161306.jpg
IMG_20160305_161519_hdr.jpg
IMG_20160306_161542.jpg
IMG_20160306_162924.jpg

SALTY'S GARLIC THERIAC EGG NOODLE'S

INGREDIANTS

2cups flour
2 tbls theriac
3 egg yolks 1egg
2 teaspoons salt
1⁄4 TO -1⁄2 cup water

DIRECTIONS

Measure flour into bowl; make a well in the center and add egg yolks, whole egg ,theriac salt. With hands or fork thoroughly mix egg into flour .Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition. (Add only enough water to form dough into a ball.) .Turn dough onto well-floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Divide dough into 4 equal parts. Roll dough, BY hand or use machine.

IMG_20160306_175144.jpg
IMG_20160306_185049.jpg
IMG_20160306_185616.jpg
IMG_20160306_185630.jpg
IMG_20160306_185724.jpg

theriac also has white bullet habs in it. really love the theriac noodles

Love a good ragu, I don't know what theriac is, google says snake venom antidote :shocked: but WOW!

For me a ragu is always best served on the fettuccine or pappardelle shape and this hits it for me!

Thanks THP theriac is the fermented garlic,celery root and leeks this one i did was 6months fermenting then processed with a little honey and soy for salt the stuff is mind blowing garlic explosion.
Not my baby though the credit for this goes to RocketMan he taught us how to make it and its awesome stuff :)
but i do like snake venom hahahahahahaha
SmokenFire said:
Beautiful OS!!!
Thanks Brother!! :)
I see you working there getting me hungry!!!!!
grantmichaels said:
I'm behind today's posts, but dayum OS ...
Thanks Grant!!!! :) the theriac is crazy

THP has been obcessed with pickles sense NEW YEARS EVE WHEN D3 drank a whole bottle of pickle juice as an attempt to do a HUGE pickle shot.

Then along came tOmato making a pickle cake with pickle icing.

To honor this time honored THP trend I present to you:

0306161521-00_zpso5rzahdg.jpg

*********** T H PICKLED BURGER *****************

Ingredients for ravioli dough

2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 teaspoon dried super hot pickle powder
3 large eggs, plus 1 for egg wash
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Directions
To make the pasta dough: In an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the flour and pickle powder. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and continue to mix. Drizzle in 1 tablespoons of the olive oil and continue until it forms a ball. Sprinkle some flour on work surface, knead and fold the dough until elastic and smooth, this should take about 10 minutes. Brush with remaining olive oil and wrap the dough in plastic wrap; let rest for about 30 minutes.

0306161611-00_zpsvzcemwfz.jpg

Filling

1 pound 80% lean groung beef
1 small yellow onion
1 clove garlic
1/4 teaspoon ghost pepper puree
Pinch salt
Pinch ground black pepper
1/2 cup shreaded sharp cheddar cheese
2 Tablespoons chopped super hot pickles

In a large skillet brown ground beef
Add onions, garlic, salt, pepper

0306161540-00_zpsybaz9b99.jpg

Drain and let cool in large bowl

0306161553-00_zpstrftxcvz.jpg

Mix in pickles , cheese and puree

Assembly

Roll out dough on floured surface
Roll as thin as you dare ( the thinner the better)

0306161651-00_zpsojmjj1hy.jpg

Spoon filling onto dough, egg wash around dough and cover with thin layer of dough to form raviolis

Cutt into round raviolis

0306161704-00_zpsj4ohgqdh.jpg

Crimp with fork

COOKING T H PICKLED BURGERS

Heat up a large skillet with enough olive oil to do a shallow fry ( about 1/2 cup)

Carefully add raviolis (about four at a time)
Cook untill golden brown and crispy

0306161706-00_zpsc8bsqikp.jpg

Remove to drain and cool

DIP

1 cup sour cream
2 Tablespoons dried superhot pickle powder
2 Tablespoons pickle juice from superhot pickles

Just wisk together and enjoy

0306161717-00_zps2ccrehun.jpg

0306161717-01_zps7eajeldg.jpg

Wow Rym thats awsome looking, man a cold beer and boom thats the bomb brother very creative :)
The Hot Pepper said:
If I was to critique, the plate is too busy and detracts from the dish! This is in my top!!!!!!! Hey when all you can critique is the china, it must be good!
hahahahahaa Nice!!! :) yeah after the photo was shot i realized they were a little busy. But thats nothing you should see the plate i wanted to put them on hahahahaha thank god for heather :)

ok my mom is visiting she loves 1010's pasta pie said a work of art!! and SalsaLady heather wants your dish this week so looks like i'm making it :)
hot stuff that was stellar brother would crush a plate of that cajun love fest!!! :)
Man all this food time to make a beer run jump in
fall-guy-truck1.jpg
and hang on aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

A Tale of Two Pastas

20gktqq.jpg

Making the dough:

24d28lw.jpg

2 cups flour
4 eggs
Make a well in the center of your flour.  Crack in the eggs and mix with your hands until a dough comes together.  Turn out onto a floured board and knead until the dough is elastic and smooth, adding more flour as necessary.  

2h6c5q9.jpg

Roll it out thin as you can, then cut your noodles.  I was going for spaghetti and pappardelle today. 

2r76fxz.jpg

I cut the pappardelle from the remaining dough and rolled them flat by hand.  Then I bundled them and bagged the noodles.

2ajvy3c.jpg

Then I returned the sauce and the meatballs.   :)

It's a slow 'simmer all day' kinda marinara. Sweat 1/2 cup chopped carrot, 1/2 cup chopped onion and 1/3 cup chopped celery in 3 tbsp olive oil in a heavy pan over medium heat until the onion is translucent, about 6-8 minutes.  Add 2 tbsp minced garlic and 1/2 tsp each of dried oregano and dried basil.  Throw in a pinch of dried rosemary and majoram and continue cooking for another 2 minutes.  Add one cup red wine, bring to a boil and reduce by half.  Add one can tomato paste, 2 jars of tomatoes and a pint of water.  Stir well to combine. Cook for all day or until done, about 2 hours.

25a18wy.jpg

Add the meatballs when the sauce has cooked for a few hours, but make sure you're cooking at a low heat simmer else they will be tough.  Then drop your noodles into boiling salted water and cook for 3 minutes.  Once drained, dress with the sauce and meatballs.

iclefs.jpg

The spaghetti and meatballs plated steaming hot:

euf0is.jpg

And on the fork:

2q2kei9.jpg

Then I wanted to switch gears with the pappardelle, so I decided some garlic scape pesto was in order.  The noodles really puffed up more than I was expecting, but the dish was sublime.  Garlic scape pesto is an easy & quick preparation.  Take a pound of scapes and put them in a food processor along with 4oz of parmesan cheese and a good handful of whatever nuts you have on hand. Press play and add the juice of one lemon.  When that is incorporated drizzle in 1/2 cup olive oil, while the machine is running.  Dress your fresh pasta right after it comes out of the water.  I used about a half cup for these noodles.

hrjz1c.jpg

This is the second time I've made pasta by hand, and I really loved these dishes.  Thanks for looking!  

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back