• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Noodle Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shoot, missed it on the carbonara, but I'd still face-plant right into that spaghetty pie!  Nice!

OK, more prep pics-
 I dunno why, but that tendon-thingy in chicken breast tenders grosses me out, so I get rid of it.  Work a fork under the end and loosen it from the meat.  Firmly pinch the tendon and work the fork down the tendon to remove it from the meat.  Feed it to the dog or cat, they'll enjoy the treat!
IMG_5117.JPG

IMG_5118.JPG

IMG_5119.JPG

Gently pound the chicken breast or tenders to flatten.  Dredge in seasoned flour, and pan fry in olive oil until crispy and brown.
IMG_5127.JPG

IMG_5130.JPG

The Sauce!
1/2 cup butter
spash of EVOO
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp chicken soup base
2 tsp capers
few grinds black pepper (sorry, geeme)
couple shakes of your favorite chile pepper powder (I used Volcanic Peppers' Aji Pepper Blend)
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4c parmesan cheese
IMG_5131.JPG

Saute your favorite mix of fresh veggies in-
2Tbsp EVOO
1 tsp garlic
dash seasoning salt
top with a sprinkle of parm when plated
IMG_5129.JPG

Pasta cooking in a pot- (-yawn-)
IMG_5132.JPG

The Build-
IMG_5134.JPG

IMG_5135.JPG

THIS IS MY 500th POST!!!!!!!!!!!
what better way to break in a 500th post than with my first attempt at a throw down, as well as making past from scratch.
I would also like to show my appreciation to all those that have taught and inspired me here at THP, I have met many great people
and have made some really good friends here..... so this sake shot is for you!

Title: Spicy Sausage and Cheese Tortellini and a Wonton Soup

20160305_131616_resized_zpsxrgpjxyg.jpg

20160305_143630_resized_zpsv7ht2ov4.jpg

20160305_161300_resized_zpsolvtuabb.jpg
20160305_161308_resized_zps7nbusvry.jpg
20160305_162034_resized_zpse4vr17qc.jpg
20160305_175856_resized1_zpskmixiayq.jpg
20160305_175915_resized_zps8nw73jbh.jpg
20160305_180614_resized_zpsvtou4h07.jpg
20160305_180405_resized_zpsdiww9dld.jpg

Recipe ingredients

Tortellini - 2 cups flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 3 large eggs. Stuffing - 12 oz mild italian sausage, 2 garlic cloves, quarter onion, 1/4 c italian parsley, 8 large basil leaves, 1tbs sundried tomato olive oil, crushed red pepper, 1/4 cup Parmesan and romano cheese, 1 c ricotta Sauce - roasted garlic alfredo, diced cajun bell pepper

Wontons - 2 cups flour, 2 large eggs, 1/4 c water. Stuffing - 12 oz ground pork, 1tbsp saki, 2 chopped green onion, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp minced gingerl, 1 tsp sugar, 2 aji lemon drops. Soup - 3 cups chicken broth, chopped green onion, chive, 1 tsp roasted sesame

Very Nice, SoS!!!  If that is your official entry, make sure to add a name or title for your post. 

Salsalady's Pasta Caper

Fresh Pasta
5 oz (by weight) semolina flour
5 oz (by weight) all purpose flour
2 whole eggs plus 4 egg yolks
1 tsp sea salt
Chile pepper powder if desired (I used some Volcanic Peppers Aji Pepper Blend in half the dough)

Mix eggs into dry ingredients by hand, in a food processor, or use a stand mixer.  I used a stand mixer, then finished kneading the dough by hand.  Wrap in plastic wrap and let the dough rest for at least 30 minutes or more.

Divide dough into quarters.  Flatten one piece and start to run it through pasta rollers on the widest setting.  Fold dough onto itself in 3rds and run through rollers again.  Repeat 3 times on widest roller setting and 3 more times on next smaller setting.  From there, continue running the dough through the rollers a couple times on each smaller setting.  When the dough is at the desired thickness, swap out the flat roller attachment for the cutter attachment and make some noodles!

IMG_5100.JPG

IMG_5106.JPG

IMG_5112.JPG

IMG_5114.JPG

Cook fresh pasta in boiling water for 1-2 minutes.  It will cook very fast compared to dry pasta.  Drain and serve immediately.

Creamy Lemon Chicken Piccata
IMG_5115.JPG

Caper Cream Sauce
1/2 cup butter
spash of EV olive oil
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp chicken soup base
2 tsp capers
few grinds black pepper (sorry, geeme)
couple shakes of your favorite chile pepper powder (I used Volcanic Peppers' Aji Pepper Blend)
1/4c parmesan cheese

Melt butter, olive oil and garlic for a minute or 2.  Add everything else and gently simmer.  Keep on low until everything else is ready.
IMG_5131.JPG

Saute your favorite fresh veggies in 2 Tbsp EVOO, 1 tsp garlic, and a sprinkle of seasoning salt or salt and your favorite pepper powder (I used some homemade jalapeno seasoning salt)
IMG_5129.JPG

Dredge pounded chicken breasts in seasoned flour and pan fry in regular olive oil until crispy brown. 
Seasoned Flour- all purpose flour, black pepper, jalapeno seasoning salt
View attachment 34529

Plate it up and Enjoy!
Sprinkle everything with fresh grated parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.  Serve with a lemon wedge and a fresh baked sourdough roll.
IMG_5135.JPG

IMG_5137.JPG

IMG_5139.JPG

Spaghetti Pie and Mushroom Ravioli

Pasta recipe

95 grams of flour (60g 00 flour/35g semolina flour)
1 egg
pinch of salt
JHP Chocolate Lava powder to taste

This recipe just gets scaled out depending on the amount of pasta you will need.  I doubled it today and used the same dough for both the spaghetti and ravioli.  All of the dry ingredients get combined and then a well is formed.  The eggs are put int the well and the flour mixture is gradually incorporated into the egg.  Knead for about 5 or 6 minutes then cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes.  Shape into the pasta shapes you want.

IMG_6339.JPG

IMG_6342.JPG

IMG_6343.JPG

Spaghetti Pie Recipe

1/2 lb cooked spaghetti
1 tbspn lard(I used reserved bacon fat)
6 eggs
1/3 cup grated cheese
cubed meat prosciutto, soppressata, pepperoni etc (I used soppressata) 
JHP Smoked Thai powder
Juanitos crushed Chocolate Superhot
Black pepper

Cook Pasta, strain and then mix in the lard.  Let the pasta cool.  Scramble the eggs and add smoked thai and black pepper.   Mix the cooled spaghetti and the egg mixture well.  Then mix in the grated cheese and meat.  Transfer to a cast iron skillet and sprinkle the top with crushed pepper flakes.  Bake in a 350f oven for 45-50 minutes.

IMG_6370.JPG

IMG_6371.JPG

Mushroom Ravioli

Ravioli Filling

1/2 Medium shallot
85g Mushrooms (your choice)

1 Garlic clove
Fresh Italian flat leaf parsley (to taste)
Fresh chives (to taste)
Nutmeg (pinch)
Lemon zest (pinch)
Parmesan cheese (to taste)
Whipping cream (dash to bind)
Olive oil
JHP Chocolate Lava powder
Salt & pepper

Saute shallot, mushrooms and garlic until all of the water from the mushrooms evaporates.  In a bowl combine mushroom mixture with all of the other ingredients and mix well.  Refrigerate until needed.

MUSHROOM SAUCE
1/2 Medium shallot

3 Mushrooms (your choice)

1/2 Garlic clove
1 Cup vegetable stock
Fresh chives (to taste)
1/4 cup Whipping cream
Fresh basil (to taste)
Olive oil
Salt & pepper

Saute shallot, mushrooms and garlic for about 5 minutes.  Add vegetable stock and cook until stock is reduced by half.  Add chives and cream and cook until desired consistency.  Add basil and serve over the ravioli.  The ravioli are cooked in 3-4 minus in boiling water.

IMG_6362.JPG

IMG_6366.JPG

IMG_6374.JPG

IMG_6376.JPG

IMG_6379.JPG

I really didn't taste the heat in the pasta, I guess i did not use enough powder…..but I used a bit too much in the ravioli mixture and there was a nice burn while eating the ravioli.

First time making mushroom ravioli and it will be made again with some minor adjustments.  The spaghetti pie is an old favorite and was added when the Boss added an extra plate.

Mangia!!

SL that is killer.  Beautiful colors on that plate and nice touch on the pat of butter.  Very nice job!

[SIZE=18pt]Gnocchi with Cajun Crawfish and Coconut Crème Sauce[/SIZE]
Gnocchi:
2 large potatoes
4 cups of flour
2 eggs.

Boil the potatoes with skins on.  When you can poke it with a fork peel the skins off. Put the potatoes through a ricer and then mix it with the flour and 2 eggs. Roll into ½” snakes. Cut them into ½” pieces and then use your thumb to roll them over a fork. Put in salted boiled water until they float and put them aside.

Crawfish with Coconut cream
16oz of crawfish tails
2/3 cup olive oil
1 globe garlic
1 small can of tomato paste
Salt
Black pepper freshly crushed
1 can coconut milk
1 cup white wine
4 fish peppers minced
Parsley

Saute’ the minced garlic in the oil. When golden add tomato paste and wine and cook over medium heat for ten minutes. Add the crawfish and cook for 2 minutes. Take 1/3 of the crawfish out with some of the juice and puree’. Add the puree’ back with the milk and fish peppers and cook for another 5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste and mix 2 tbls. of chopped parsley.

Pour Crawfish recipe over Gnocchi.

Pistolettes
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp yeast
1/2 cups of water
2 cups of flour

Mix water, yeast and sugar and wait ten minutes. Add it to the flour and mix until it doesn’t stick. Divide into 4 parts and roll into pistollets. Let sit for 30 min or until doubled in size. Cook at 425f for about ½ hour.  Serve will a plate of extra virgin olive oil with freshly crushed black pepper, garlic powder and salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back