• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Noodle Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
grantmichaels said:
Nice ...

I was just wondering if gnocchi were game ...
potato starch is listed on the Wiki post....  ???

Great variety of products being posted.  spaghetti, tortelini, ravioli, gnocchi, fettucini, and more....
I love the creativity of everyone! 

As i read there was a td i went to prepare some dough:
tYhpiJd.jpg

Probably i'll bake some bread to side main dish.

Ingredients and PoL:
4WiIDQj.jpg

Eggs, 00 flour, butter, burrata, red turnip, spinachs.
Add turmeric to that, i just thought now i can use it.

Sage:
JNrzw59.jpg

Heat:
khtvyEX.jpg

Mostly piri piri, some goat's weed and maybe something else.

Student of Spice said:
THIS IS MY 500th POST!!!!!!!!!!!
what better way to break in a 500th post than with my first attempt at a throw down, as well as making past from scratch.
I would also like to show my appreciation to all those that have taught and inspired me here at THP, I have met many great people
and have made some really good friends here..... so this sake shot is for you!

Title: Spicy Sausage and Cheese Tortellini and a Wonton Soup

20160305_131616_resized_zpsxrgpjxyg.jpg

20160305_143630_resized_zpsv7ht2ov4.jpg

20160305_161300_resized_zpsolvtuabb.jpg
20160305_161308_resized_zps7nbusvry.jpg
20160305_162034_resized_zpse4vr17qc.jpg
20160305_175856_resized1_zpskmixiayq.jpg
20160305_175915_resized_zps8nw73jbh.jpg
20160305_180614_resized_zpsvtou4h07.jpg
20160305_180405_resized_zpsdiww9dld.jpg

Recipe ingredients

Tortellini - 2 cups flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 3 large eggs. Stuffing - 12 oz mild italian sausage, 2 garlic cloves, quarter onion, 1/4 c italian parsley, 8 large basil leaves, 1tbs sundried tomato olive oil, crushed red pepper, 1/4 cup Parmesan and romano cheese, 1 c ricotta Sauce - roasted garlic alfredo, diced cajun bell pepper

Wontons - 2 cups flour, 2 large eggs, 1/4 c water. Stuffing - 12 oz ground pork, 1tbsp saki, 2 chopped green onion, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp minced gingerl, 1 tsp sugar, 2 aji lemon drops. Soup - 3 cups chicken broth, chopped green onion, chive, 1 tsp roasted sesame
Nice looking tortellini you have there.
Tinnie said:
Wow  :shocked:  :shocked:  :shocked:

that looks incredible hot stuff

The Hot Pepper said:
Holy shizz!!!!

hot stuff needs a crown now may be the time!

grantmichaels said:
Nice ...

I was just wondering if gnocchi were game ...

t0mato said:

Yes he does.  That's incredible

This thread is on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!      :fireball:  :fireball:

Tinnie said:
You all are making me blush. Thanks for you comments.

Change of plan, changed pasta type, no eggs.

About bread, dough has risen too much:
ZTKeOm7.jpg

Here a loaf... I have an idea but nothing special.
X1Hg7WN.jpg

Blending spinach
euR6HNl.jpg

Mashing turnip
stJd4B3.jpg

Here dough with burrata and some PoL, now it's resting.
tDPfcUo.jpg

OT:
yesterday i went to a creperie, that one as dessert was so good! Inside there was fiordilatte icecream. Strawberry + fiordilatte ice cream is hard to beat!
Goq5yCc.jpg

My First Noodle Venture submission :)

I forgot to add the money and didn't remember till after I got started so I took another picture with the money in their, Sorry, memory not what it used to be  :(

So this is the first time I made noodles so it was great to have an excuse to learn.

-Buckwheat Noodles base mix is;
3/4cup Buckwheat and 1/4cup Potato starch, pinch of salt and 1tbsp Seasoning mix 1 egg, 4 tbsp water. Blitz.  First batch

-Buckwheat Noodle mix  2
1.5 cups Buckwheat, .5 cups Potato Starch, 1sp salt, 1 tbsp Dried Arbol Chile, 1tbsp Dried Guajillo Chile, 2tbsp Dried Tomato,3 eggs, 2 cups fresh Thai Basil, 2tbsp water. Blitz
I mixed the eggs and dried tomato and peppers first to hydrate them.

The Appetizer I cooked up the noodles in chicken stock with Maitake mushrooms and Yellow Habanero with a side of Buckwheat sourdough (made the day before) with a Tomato and Chile paste spread (made also the day before).
The Main course I cooked in water with mushrooms, then used the left over liquid as a sauce with smoked cheddar mixed in, topped with Brisling Sardines with dabs of Tomato Chile paste.

I used the Blendetec and found the 1cup batches are better, the dough feels like Plasticine, the 2cup batch has a bit tight and overheated the machine, also could have used a bit more liquid so I finished it of my hand but did not have the same feel as the first batch.

I don't have a Kitchen/Dining table so its a bit messy, looking for some nice plates for presentation etc :)

P3058839_ThrowdownIngredients-1500_zpseektm5be.jpg

P3058840_65cents-1000_zpsg8qdylsk.jpg

P3058830_BWnoodlesSeasoning-1500_zps7sh117bl.jpg

P3058841_Noodles2-1000_zps98gowlvm.jpg

P3058843_NoodlesHanging-1000_zpseolatjnf.jpg

P3058836_FreshNoodleAp-1500_zpsa1zl66xy.jpg

P3058846_NoodleDinner-1500_zpswxvhx3un.jpg

Tris of strozzapreti plated in bread
Or a strozzapreti bruschetta.

Make bread or use a good one.
I made some bread mixing (and not kneading) the following, just to experiment
  • 600g manitoba
  • 450g water
  • 12g salt
  • 12g evo
  • 1,2g beer yeast
After 8 hours i folded dough some times.
After other 12 hours i made dough pieces. And waited an hour and half for the one i used here then cooked.
Baked for 55 mins at 220°C
Good bread, not my best (hulled flour and higher hydro plus fridge ftw), the good thing is that it's quite effortless to make.

Green dough
  • 180g 00 flour
  • 90g cooked spinachs
  • 30g water + a bit more if needed
  • a third of teaspoon of salt
Blend spinachs (see previous post) with water and 30g of flour.
Then use that to knead remaining flour adding salt.
Knead well till smooth, use a bit water if needed.
Leave it for 1,5-2hours

Red dough
  • 200g flour
  • 70g boiled red turnip
  • 45g water + a bit more if needed
Mash red turnip (see previous post) add water, salt and flour (not all at once) and knead well till smooth.
Leave it for 1,5-2hours

Yellow dough
  • 200g flour
  • 100g water + a bit more if needed
  • 1 teaspoon or turmeric full tot he brim
Just knead all till smooth.
Leave it for 1,5-2hours

Build butter
A2ufRDO.jpg

Heat butter with sage leaves. when it's well melt put hot pepper. Turn off before boiling.
I used 24 small leaves, 6 piri piri, 100g butter.
Make strozzapreti
rVCe9sc.jpg

Roll some dough, cut like gnocchi, roll to stretch them and give form rolling on hands.
Then stretch them a bit to make them rougher.

AOuDrYF.jpg

Roast bread and rub garlic
S2UROwU.jpg

Boil on water as needed
SxPaVQL.jpg

Build with burrata... And some grated Grana Padano if you want.
woSzgzI.jpg

8r7Xsdv.jpg

PiVuSW4.jpg

Y8jQnoX.jpg

uihTftY.jpg

[SIZE=medium]Pasta Carbonara[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I had little to no time to cook this because I have to work late night. So it's not pretty. But the essentials are here. Home made pasta. The idea is to incorporate as many egg yolks as possible without changing the texture I think. I used 9 egg yolks and a cup of flour plus salt and a little olive oil to make dough. Hand knead the dough for ten minutes. Then  I let the dough rest for 30 minutes and cut up with kitchen scissors. I then tried to twist them by moistening my hands. I was in a hurry and didn't do it properly. but you get the idea. Moisture is important to prevent dough sticking.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I then used a mixture of pecorino romano and parmesan with 4 eggs to make the sauce. The noodles cooked, and so did the pancetta. I heated the bowl with some hot pasta water, and simmered the pancetta in more pasta water. I drained the pasta, and combined all ingredients. The heat cooked the egg and cheese mixture.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Eat. I might add more pasta to dilute the cheese sauce a little later. I used probably about a third of what I should have.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium](The POL is in the final pics. Sorry have no time to wait for bumps. Nor to take and sort a lot of creative pictures. Thanks also to my mom for helping speed me through prep and the dish washing. Ok off to work now. later all. )[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium] [/SIZE]

so yea I just got home from an insane birthday 24 hours, and looking at all of these, I am totally wheebzing out of this because 1. I just cant compete on the level of these entries, and 2. I feel like I got hit by a bus, which considering the fact that I slept on the floor of the kitchen of my cousins house, could have actually happened to me

thanks alcohol, you are always there for me

There are some really fantastic entries here; it will be almost impossible to decide to vote for only one!

I'm only slightly disappointed that no one made gingerbread men-shaped pasta.

THP has been obcessed with pickles sense NEW YEARS EVE WHEN D3 drank a whole bottle of pickle juice as an attempt to do a HUGE pickle shot.

Then along came tOmato making a pickle cake with pickle icing.

To honor this time honored THP trend I present to you:

*********** T H PICKLED BURGER *****************

Ingredients for ravioli dough

2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 teaspoon dried super hot pickle powder
3 large eggs, plus 1 for egg wash
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Directions
To make the pasta dough: In an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the flour and pickle powder. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and continue to mix. Drizzle in 1 tablespoons of the olive oil and continue until it forms a ball. Sprinkle some flour on work surface, knead and fold the dough until elastic and smooth, this should take about 10 minutes. Brush with remaining olive oil and wrap the dough in plastic wrap; let rest for about 30 minutes.

Filling

1 pound 80% lean groung beef
1 small yellow onion
1 clove garlic
1/4 teaspoon ghost pepper puree
Pinch salt
Pinch ground black pepper
1/2 cup shreaded sharp cheddar cheese
2 Tablespoons chopped super hot pickles

In a large skillet brown ground beef
Add onions, garlic, salt, pepper

Let cool in large bowl

Mix in pickles , cheese and puree

Assembly

Roll out dough on floured surface
Roll as thin as you dare ( the thinner the better)

Spoon filling onto dough, egg wash around dough and cover with thin layer of dough to form raviolis

Cutt into round raviolis

Crimp with fork

COOKING T H PICKLED BURGERS

Heat up a large skillet with enough olive oil to do a shallow fry ( about 1/2 cup)

Carefully add raviolis (about four at a time)
Cook untill golden brown and crispy

Remove to drain and cool

DIP

1 cup sour cream
2 Tablespoons dried superhot pickle powder
2 Tablespoons pickle juice from superhot pickles

Just wisk together and enjoy

0306161521-00_zpso5rzahdg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back