• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Pizza Party Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back from the dentist.......can't eat yet, ....but sure can drink..

The Hot Pepper said:
Those are magazine-worthy pics!

So much thought in them.

From the steps of toppings in pic 2...

To the motion blur of picking up a slice in pic 3...

To the shallow depth of field in pic 4.

Thanks.......thought.....sum's it up
Essegi said:
Blue sack? :D
Btw best cooked pizza so far. With "so far" i mean of all i've seen on THP until now. And since cooking is maybe the most important thing...

Aha.......the Blue was the bench Flour........I typical am fond of the Red "00"

grantmichaels said:
He's working hard either at the camera, or pretty damn hard at the camera and then picking up the difference in post ...

I can't even find the catch's in a number of them, and I'm pretty good at reverse-engineering strobe positions normally ...

I wouldn't have been able to have slept at all since starting yesterday just to have produced the photos - if I even could have (I have done technical photography work through Zeiss scopes and I still do photogrammetry work professionally) ...

Today I think I see some shots with a metric shit-ton of sharpening if I'm not mistaken, which is the first time I've ever even noticed anything that looks like it was done in post, ever ...

(I'm thinking back to one w/ a green fruit and a zester microplace) ... but maybe I'm wrong, I could be imagining it! ...

The lighting is so good, I'm starting to think what I've thought was the windows all along is actually a softbox ...

Maybe I'm the only guy who doesn't know what PIC does or did, but I'm fairly blown away by the photography ... well ... always, really ...

Thanks for taking all the time, it shows ... VERY clearly, LOL ...

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. They are full-grade. We're being treated, really ...

Wow...that's some heavy talk there.....lol

Not to get into my past... but at one time in my life I was wearing PF Flyer's and a Nikon F around my neck...........I was 10
Starfish...Soft Box's....10k lenses.....had all of that, but any images here from the start..garden or food shots were taken with a $100 pocket camera....the truth.
When one breaks, I'll buy another..........they do look stupid on a Gitzo...though........ :lol:

As Chris said earlier using available or ambient light appeals to the eye and work for TD's....but you can get away with ceiling lighting or off camera flash....Although today was dim,very little contrast and I do rely on the light source of the windows and skylights. It's a fact the broader the light source, the softer the light.

Thanks for your comments

PIC 1 said:

Wow...that's some heavy talk there.....lol

Not to get into my past... but at one time in my life I was wearing PF Flyer's and a Nikon F around my neck...........I was 10
Starfish...Soft Box's....10k lenses.....had all of that, but any images here from the start..garden or food shots were taken with a $100 pocket camera....the truth.
When one breaks, I'll buy another..........they do look stupid on a Gitzo...though........ :lol:

As Chris said earlier using available or ambient light appeals to the eye and work for TD's....but you can get away with ceiling lighting or off camera flash....Although today was dim,very little contrast and I do rely on the light source of the windows and skylights. It's a fact the broader the light source, the softer the light.

Thanks for your comments

Skylights - mystery totally solved!

Taking mediocre pictures with high-end gear is something I've done plenty of, so I knew not to suggest the great results were because of gear =)

I have, however, been giving you labor "credit" for setting up immaculate and comprehensive overheard lighting with strobes ...

Well, cheers - I'm glad you didn't climb up and clip and/or gorilla-grip strobes to you uppers all day like I'd imagined ...

At one point when I was growing up a family from Mexico moved into the house next door. Every now and then when we kids were making play plans for the weekend, their kids would tell us they could not play because it was a cooking weekend for them - the whole family spent the entire weekend making some sort of food, such as tamales and empanadas.  This dough recipe came from their mom (terribly embarrassed to say I don't remember her name!) She used it for many things (including Mexican-style pizzas), usually with heavily seasoned meats such as picadillo for empanadas (though she also made sweet empanadas with it.) It is slightly sweet so it helps to balance out the spiciness. 

Death By Dessert Pizza

Dough:

1 part butter
1 part cream cheese
2 parts all-purpose flour
A pinch or so of salt
More flour as needed for texture, and for rolling, if needed.

Bring butter and cream cheese to room temperature then use your mixer or food processor to thoroughly blend. Stir salt into flour, then mix the dry ingredients into the butter/cream cheese mix. Refrigerate at least 15 minutes, up to 1 day. If refrigerated more than 15 minutes set out to warm a bit so it is easier to work with. Roll between sheets of parchment paper until less than 1/4" thick. 

First Toppings:

Bacon
Chocolate
Congo Trinidad powder
Cinnamon
Ginger

Cook bacon until just crisp. Crumble fairly finely. Chop the chocolate into small pieces. Place chocolate, bacon, hot pepper powder , ginger, and cinnamon into a bag and shake well to combine. 

Preheat oven to 350F. Place dough on baking sheet and prick surface with a fork. Sprinkle the first toppings on and gently press into the dough. Bake for 20 minutes or until edges of the crust are golden and chocolate is softened. 

Final Toppings:

Rum Chata (rum made with cream, kind of like Bailey's, but with a different flavor profile)
Cream Cheese
Congo Trinidad powder
Cinnamon
Ginger
Pomegranate

Blend cream cheese, rum and seasinings until smooth. Pipe onto pizza. Sprinkle fresh pomegranate on top.

Crust rolled out:
P1010856.JPG

The crust with chocolate/bacon/spices mix after baking:
P1010858.JPG

Fully topped:
P1010860.JPG

P1010861.JPG

P1010863.JPG

You may notice that I added no sugar. The Rum Chata is very sweet - almost like drinking a danish - plus cream cheese is somewhat sweet so no additional sugar is necessary.  The tartness of the pomegranate was a great balance against the Rum Chata, and these complimented the spiced bacon and chocolate very nicely.  If you are wondering about the crunch of the pomegranate as possibly being off-putting, it's not - the bacon is crisp and the crust rather cracker-like, so the textures all went very well together.

grantmichaels said:

Well, cheers - I'm glad you didn't climb up and clip and/or gorilla-grip strobes to you uppers all day like I'd imagined ...

:lol: .........simple is easier

I have been on the upper cat walks " painting the room with light " ....9600ws worth of Blackline equip for the Hawks and Bulls games years back.....

Glad you got it in!

Looks good, have to read up on it later...

Jamaican me crazy 

Category: Unique- There are a few reasons that this pie was unique for me. 1. I used Jerked lamb, never used lamb on a pie before. 2. I used a dough with no commercial yeast only my sourdough starter. 3. I used a rolling pin to roll out the dough, I have never used a rolling pin before. 4. I used my own homemade fresh mozzarella. 

Dough Ingredients:
150 grams AP flour
300 grams 00 flour
150 grams bread flour
75 grams sprouted whole wheat
150 grams sourdough starter
420 grams warm water
pinch of kosher salt
1 tbl of diastatic malt powder
1 tbl of evo

Dough: Place warm water and sourdough starter in a bowl and break up. add diastatic malt powder,salt,flour and evo. form into a ball, divide into individual portions and place into a oiled ziplock bag. then directly into the refrigerator for 12-48 hours.  take dough out 1-2 hours before using

Toppings: Grilled Jerked lamb loin chop, roasted garlic,fresh basil

Cheese: My own homemade fresh mozzarella 

Pizza Sauce: Roasted San Marzano tomatoes,roasted Manzano peppers,roasted garlic, kosher salt, roasted shallot,fresh thyme/oregano,malt vinegar

Assembly: Turned out my dough. smeared roasted garlic on dough. put down my pizza sauce. added my cheese, added the grilled jerked lamb. and hit with fresh basil when it comes out of the oven. 

Cooking: Baked @ 500F for 4 minutes, turn ten continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes. 
20141208_111232_zpsc23daa26.jpg

20141208_112536_zpsdbbf46a1.jpg

20141208_112543_zps2726bf60.jpg

20141208_112639_zpsea466640.jpg

20141208_113116_zpsd5e51a64.jpg

PIC 1 said:

:lol: .........simple is easier

I have been on the upper cat walks " painting the room with light " ....9600ws worth of Blackline equip for the Hawks and Bulls games years back.....

I can extrapolate from experience w/ PCB White Lightning 3200's what that equipment must be ...

Now your a guy who shot what's arguably the most iconic 35mm camera at age 10, has managed sync'ing 9600ws strobes to NBA spec, and shoots off a Gitzo ... which is how I receive your pictures. Kudos.

Semantics =)
I knew I'd like Geeme's dessert pie. Looks great.

The pizza dought...

Ingredients:

1kg flour 0000
5 grs yeast
20 grs marine salt
50cc olive oli extra virgen
Black pepper

Method:

Placed flour in a bowl, make a hoto in the center and enter the yeast previously dissolved in warm water. Place the salt around the flour and place 550cc water, knead slightly and place the olive oil. I knead until blended, let stand covered with a cloth

P1070717.JPG

After two hours, make a sausage and cut eight equal parts. The mixture 1558grs though. The account given 8.pcs of 195grs
P1070725.JPG

P1070726.JPG

We left again and weigh half hour's time to stretch the dough.

P1070749.JPG

P1070754.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back