contest BEGIN! Pizza Rustica Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you do, I recommend more space, some way to protect from potential debris, and lack of potential metal poisoning. :lol: :shame: :banghead: :D.

My contraption won't be using those materials. I'm far more concerned about TB laughing himself to death from mercury poisoning given his diet of mostly fish.

The fact that non-traditional ovens became a fad for this TD was the initial motivation.
Kind of had to laugh at this being a "fad", key. I ghetto-rigged mine because my grill is electric (due to a BBQ fire incident years ago, I've been squeamish about going back to charcoal), but also I'm seriously considering getting into campus housing next year so didn't want to buy a "real" grill knowing I might just have to offload it in the relatively near future. I would like to get one at some point, but the timing's just not right now. At the same time, the challenge of coming up with an alternative was sweet!

Official Entry #1:
Colorado Hiking Bhut

Old school traditional red sauce and cheese topped with peppers.

From RoninGarden.
Giant Bhut Jolokia

Dough Ingredients:
4 cups flour (High Altitude flour)
1-1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp yeast
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cups water (40 degrees)
After combining let dough sit at least 24hrs in fridge.
Let dough warm and rise by placing out for 1.5-2 hrs prior to cooking.
All dough shaped by hand, No rolling pins here...

Sauce Ingredients:
Tomatoes ( roma and abe lincoln) all from garden
1 tsp fresh dried and ground Long Red Slim peppers
1 Clove garlic
1 Onion
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
Italian seasoning (basil, thyme, rosemary,marjoram)
Cooked down to a nice thick sauce.

Cheese:
Blend of 3 cheeses: Mozzarella, a little provolone, and parmesan.

Cook time:
Gas grill ( Burning restrictions in Colorado only allow me to use gas)
Preheat grill for 1.5 hours with pizza stone inside
After warming, cook time only took 15 minutes
No idea what temps were, just kept grill on high entire time.
These were both cooked on 8" pizza stones.

Here are the pics:

Colorado Hiking Bhut:
Plated on my ghetto pizza sheet (cardboard):
bhut_7156.jpg

Stretchy cheese shot:
bhut_7160.jpg

I've been squeamish about going back to charcoal)

I was never a large user of charcoal. Not for any particular reason, just something I never really worked with that much. When I was camping as a kid, we used to use firewood or a camping stove-unless I had to occasionally use charcoal for something depending on what the situation was. Now a wood fire is more difficult to come by. We never had a grill or outdoor cooking setup when I was growing up, and only relatively recently acquired a gas grill.

I never had a grill at college. lol. I just cooked on the stove in my apartment. Or ate in the campus eating establishments.

Ima gonna blow the door of this mutha later today.

Less blowing and more piccy posting foo'!

I'm far more concerned about TB laughing himself to death from mercury poisoning given his diet of mostly fish.

I don't eat them damn mercury laden fish.

Salmon, sardines, and shrimps, don't have any of that crapola.

Y'all in SoFlo should be more worried about all that fur floating around in the air and gettin' on 'yer food from Bear. That guy.

Does Bear even bathe?

BTW Sum.

Now that Fitty cut down that 40 foot avocado tree in his back yard, where are you going to pee when you go over to his crib?

Official Entry #2

Mile High 7 Pot Pie

From RoninGarden.
7 Pot "Brainy" Yellow

Dough Ingredients:
4 cups flour (High Altitude flour)
1-1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp yeast
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cups water (40 degrees)
After combining let dough sit at least 24hrs in fridge.
Let dough warm and rise by placing out for 1.5-2 hrs prior to cooking.
All dough shaped by hand, No rolling pins here... Knuckle stretch...

Sauce Ingredients:
Tomatoes ( roma and abe lincoln) all from garden
1 tsp fresh dried and ground Long Red Slim peppers
1 Clove garlic
1 Onion
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
Italian seasoning (basil, thyme, rosemary,marjoram)
Cooked down to a nice thick sauce.

Cheese:
Blend of 3 cheeses: Mozzarella, a little provolone, and parmesan.

Cook time:
Gas grill ( Burning restrictions in Colorado only allow me to use gas)
Preheat grill for 1.5 hours with pizza stone inside
After warming, cook time only took 15 minutes
No idea what temps were, just kept grill on high entire time.
These were both cooked on 8" pizza stones.

Here are the pics:

Plated on top quality cardboard:
7pot_7154.jpg

Money shot:
7pot_7162.jpg

Thanks for checking out my entry.
Good luck to all!

The :HARD: Salami Fresno Thin-Crust

I love cooking outdoors. In fact, I prefer it... as long as the weather is cooperating. Indeed, this time it was. Rigged up the grill with my bread/pizza stone, some aluminum foil and some hickory chips. Then got down to business building my pizza.

The dough is one of SoFlo's favs for making pizza. Pretty simple, really.

SoFlo Dough is 1C cheap beer, 1T Crisco, 1T sugar, 1 tps salt, 3C flour, 1 1/2 tps yeast. Throw it all in a stand mixer/bread machine/kneed it by hand... it's good to go after sitting for at least an hour. But I threw my batch in a plastic bag and put it in the fridge for an overnight. Pulled it out at least two hours before cooking. That recipe can make 3 thin crust pizzas no problem.

I roll my dough with a french pin. Ain't no shame in that when that's the only way I've figured out how to get cracker thin crust without poking holes through it.

No sauce on this pizza. It was brushed with olive oil, thin sliced tomatoes, thin sliced baby bellas, dusted with dried oregano, dusted with granulated garlic, then topped with hard salami, thin sliced sweet onion, thin sliced fresno chiles, and a couple healthy handfuls of mozzarella. Garnish with some green onion. I built it all on a heavily flour dusted peel so I could get my mad peel skills on.

Bring the stone up to about 500F and toss the pie on for about 7-8 minutes. Done.

See my process

IMG_5185.jpg

IMG_5188.jpg

DAMN YOU SUM!

That's my pizza!

Right down to the french pin.

That is, my STYLE of pizza.

No sauce.

Brushed olive oil.

Sinsesalami if you know what I mean.

And the green oh's are my signature.

Damn you twice!

I love to be loving your pizza!

No homo.

So disappointed. Spent a good chunk of time procuring the materials to ghetto engineer an outdoor pizza oven only to have it rain at the most essential moment. Figuring out Geeme's dilema sparked something in me. It HAD to be done. Rest assured, a pizza on this assemblage will be made and posted in the Last Great Pizza thread soon.

IMG_5191.jpg

All this pizza shizz forced me to buy some [size="-1"]Antimo Caputo 00 Pizzeria Flour for future LGP action ...[/size] so many dough recipes were posted ...

JayT's Steakhouse Pizza

Ingredients:

Pizza Dough (00 flour, water, yeast, salt, olive oil)
Ribeye Steak
Siced and sauteed Bell Peppers
Sliced and sauteed Vidalia Onion
Spinach
Roasted Potatoes with olive oil and onion, pepper seasoning
Sauteed Mushrooms
Mozzarella Cheese
Bleu Cheese Crumbles
Habanero Oil
Sea salt
Black Pepper
Justaguy's Cherry Smoked Yellow Scorpion Powder

Think of your favorite steakhouse meal. Chances are it has a big juicy steak, some potatoes and maybe some creamed spinach. Maybe the steak has sauteed peppers,onions, and mushrooms. Maybe it has bleu cheese melted on top. What if you can get ALL that in a slice of pizza? Well now you can!

I started by making the dough and letting it rise. I sliced and roasted the potatoes in the oven, sauteed the veggies (except the spinach) and grilled the steak. I then rolled out the dough and rubbed a little olive oil on it before putting it on the grill for a little blind bake kind of thing. About two minutes on each side and I was ready to assemble. I used no sauce for this pizza, so I went with the habanero oil. A layer of mozzarella cheese followed by the roasted potatoes, then the spinach. A little more cheese and then the steak mushrooms peppers and onions. Finally the bleu cheese and it was back onto the grill for about another eight minutes at around 500F.

100_0804.jpg

100_0813.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back