3.5 Cup Bread Flour
1.5 Cup Warm Water
2 Tblsp EVOO
1 Teasp Salt
2 Teasp Sugar
2 Teasp Yeast
1 Red Habanero
Rosemary
Mix dry ingredients, add the wet, the chopped pepper and rosemary, mix, and let sit for an hour or so.

Cheese Sauce:
1 Pint Cream
1 lb Sharp Cheddar
Salt
Pepper
Bring cream to boil, whisk in the grated cheese, add salt and pepper to taste. I added a little slurry of cornstarch and water because it was a little thin.

Toppings: (Bottom to Top)
Cheese Sauce
Sliced Red Potato (boiled first)
Broccoli
Grated Swiss and Cheddar cheese
Crumbled Bacon
Chopped Scallion (After cooking)
Sour Cream (After cooking)

Roll out the dough, brush with evoo, and pre-cook 2 minutes per side, Add toppings and cook for about another 10 minutes. Remove from grill, add scallion and sour cream, slice and enjoy!

144.jpg

145.jpg

PACIFIC NORTHWEST CAMPFIRE PIZZA

DOUGH:
Yeast
Warm water
sugar
salt
Flour
EVO

Heat water (used camp light) add yeast and stir til dissolved sit 10 min. Add flour, sugar, and salt, mix til consistent. Knead for 10 min. Place in EVO bowl covered with plastic wrap. After 2 hours split in two and knead 3 more min. Place both halves in seperate EVO bowls.

The Garlic Cheese Sauce

Onions
garlic
heavy cream
nutmeg
Ramano cheese
salt
pepper
EVO

Dice the onion and garlic, heat the pan on the campfire with EVO. Sweat the onions and garlic. Add the cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper and simmer for 8 minutes (sauce should start to separate from the pan when stirring). Add the parmesan til desired consistency and flavor.

The Roasted Pineapple and 7 Pot Sauce

Pineapple
Yellow 7 Pot
onion
garlic
agave nectar
white vinegar
salt
pepper
EVO

Roast your pineapple on your campfire, dice your onions, garlic, and deseeded 7 pot. Heat EVO and add garlic, onion, and 7 Pot, sweat til tender. Puree ( used magic bullet, only "indoor" equipment used) and add vinegar, nectar, salt, and pepper.

SET IT UP
Fataliis
feta
salmon
shrimp
scollops
Caribbean Reds
Artichoke hearts
EVO
salt and pepper

Grab your dough and tossit in the air a few times til thinned to your liking. Split and deseed the fataliis, stuff with feta. Place on edges of dough and roll the crust over to stuff. Place on cooking sheet with EVO. Place on campfire for 5 minutes or until crust start to crisp. Remove from heat. Season your salmon, shrimp, and scallops with salt pepper and EVO. Place foil on corner of camp grill with EVOand heat. Grill the salmon and shrimp straight on the camp grill and scallops on the heated foil ( the sizzle is awesome sounding). Shrimp and scollps take 4 minutes the salmon 8 minutes.
Pour garlic cheese sauce on pizza, add shrimp, scollops, and salmon. Deseed Caribbean Reds and julienne and top the pizza. Add artichokes, more feta and the Roared Pineapple sauce. Place one slate on campfire and form a cover using foil.
Cook for 15 more minutes or until cheese is melted.

GetInline-1.jpg

GetInline-3.jpg

OK, so I'm at work doing this so if you see something I need to fix let me know and I'll fix it ASAP. Thanks guys.
All these pizzas are looking Damn Tasty! :)

Oven pics

So I happened to have some spare cinder blocks lying around I haven't really used in ages, as well as some cut-up chicken wire-type stuff; so I went to work constructing an oven. Basically how I did this was cut a small square of wire to jam in the bottom of one side of the double cinder block-to act as a basket bottom for some charcoal briquettes. There was a gap between this wire and the ground which allowed air to flow. Next, I put some spare wire pieces around the outside holes. Once this was done, I places a second double cinder block on top of the first one, and then covered the second block with a larger piece of wire. Following this, I placed a third single cinder block on top of the two doubles, and covered the top with a spare patio stone.

SEPTTDconcrete.jpg

Once I had the oven more-or-less mentally designed, I removed the top two cinder blocks, and added the charcoal briquettes. I proceeded to light the fire, allowing
the initial smoke to vent out the uncovered top.

SEPTTDConcrete2.jpg

Once the fire warmed, the cover was replaced. A few additions of briquettes over time were found to be necessary to maintain sufficient output. This became a bit of a problem
when the pizza was actually cooking, but was eventually manageable.

SEPTTDconcrete3.jpg

:flamethrower:

Then I placed the dough on the cooking grate, and added the toppings. Once this was complete, I lowered the single cinder block down around the pizza-then replaced
the top patio stone cover.

SeptTDconcrete5.jpg

­Cinder Block Pizza

So I heard some of the discussion about unconventional outdoor pizza cooking methods, so I decided to see what I could scrounge up. Since I have virtually no space left available in which one might safely attempt something like this, I had to use a bit of creativity to construct an 'oven'-as well as a spinoff on Sum's suggestion about allowing as much air as possible to pass through the coals. Once this was done I was able to present the Cinder Block Pizza!

Ingredient List

1/2 Cup Water
1/2 Teaspoon ADY
1/2 teaspoon light brown sugar
1/3 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 Cup Flour
Cheddar Cheese
8 oz Hunts Tomato Sauce
1/4 teaspoon red 7 Pod powder/flakes
Canola Oil as required
Saran wrap

Dough (credit to the internet)

1. Add yeast, light brown sugar, and water to a bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes.
2. Add salt, olive oil, and flour. Form in a lump of dough.
3. Place dough in a bowl with some Canola oil. Roll it around a bit, then cover with Saran wrap for about 1 hour.
4. Remove dough from bowl and place on floured surface. Cover dough with Saran wrap, then use a rolling pin to flatten a bit.
5. When ready to assemble pizza, place dough on cooking grate, then add toppings. Cooking time will vary, approximate 30-40 minutes.

Sauce/Cheese

1. Take one can of Hunts Tomato Sauce and pour into a bowl.
2. Add red 7 Pod powder/flakes. Mix well.
3. Grate some cheese onto a place. Refrigerate until ready to use.
4. When ready to assemble pizza, take toppings outside, using gloves to remove the cover stone/block. Then add toppings to pizza as desired.

SEPTTDconcrete6.jpg

SEPTTDconcrete7.jpg

Rabbit Food Pizza
Bread:

3.5 Cup Bread Flour
1.5 Cup Warm Water
2 Tblsp EVOO
1 Teasp Salt
2 Teasp Sugar
2 Teasp Yeast
1 Red Habanero
Rosemary
Mix dry ingredients, add the wet, the chopped pepper and rosemary, mix, and let sit for an hour or so.

Red Sauce:
1 Big Can of Tomato Sauce
15 Cloves Roasted Garlic
Fresh Basil
Fresh Rosemary
Half a Sweet Onion
Salt
Pepper
Sautee onions in EVOO, add all the other ingredients and simmer 30 minutes

Toppings: (Bottom to Top)
Red Sauce
Sliced Tomatoes
Mushrooms
Red Onion
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Bell Pepper
Swiss Cheese
Cheddar Cheese

Roll out the dough, brush with evoo, and pre-cook 2 minutes per side, Add toppings and cook for about another 10 minutes. Remove from grill, slice and enjoy!

143.jpg

Sorry it's a little blurry
146.jpg

Love the inventiveness, key!

We've had so many excellent-looking pizzas, I bet the voting is going to be close!

Dang Key, you be likin that crust extra thick!!

Lol. My cooking skills (or lack thereof) notwithstanding, there was actually a reason for this. In both instances, I either could have had (or actually did have) problems with thin crust. In the case of my peach cobbler pizza, the grill grates were worryingly far apart-and I didn't have a pizza stone or a flat cooking surface to use. In retrospect, I could have used DTS's pan method-but I didn't think of it. Kudos. Coincidentally, my dough was thick enough to make this first attempt a go.

In the case of the cinder block pizza, I initially rolled out a thinner crust-but accidentally added the toppings before I placed the pizza on the cooking grate. It promptly fell apart when I tried to pick it up with a spatula. Toppings or no, I'm not sure I could have successfully transferred the dough from the plate to the grate. So I tried again-a bit thicker this time. I also waited to add the toppings until after the dough was in place.

I've never really considered the differences between how to make thin and regular crust pizza in terms of ingredients-since I rarely make pizzas from scratch. This probably contributed to my crust issues. In actual practice, I would probably need to research how to make thin crust effectively.

KBK you get extry big points for innovation but...

CAUTION!

Make dang sure that grate/screen ain't galvanized steel.

Heat + galvanized = zinc/lead poisoning.

Very bad juju.

CAUTION!

Make dang sure that grate/screen ain't galvanized steel.

Heat + galvanized = zinc/lead poisoning.

Very bad juju.

This is interesting. There's not much point me in saying that this did not occur to me, because obviously it did not. If I ever cook outside, I mostly always cook on the Weber. The fact that non-traditional ovens became a fad for this TD was the initial motivation. I was more worried about dirt and concrete dust than I was worried about the metal it was cooking on.

The only way for me to answer this question would be for me to run to the store, since I don't have the original packaging. Not sure if I can do this because I have difficult time constraints-so I could just throw out the remaining pizza portion that I didn't eat from my second entry. I'm still alive, which hopefully is a good sign. lol. However, since I bought the wire from Home Depot ages ago, I suspect that TB may be right. Though I'm curious as to how you yourself found that out ;). Really I just wanted to cook a pizza in this manner to see if I could. I probably would never actually go to this much trouble to cook one in actual practice.

Thanks for the caution!

No worries KBK.

Most outdoor metal mesh as you posted is galvanized for rust protection, but I'm not saying for sure yours is.

A one time use outdoors probably won't amount to much if anything if it is in fact galvanized.

Just keep it in mind for future reference when using non traditional metal items for cooking.

And as far as I'm concerned, I like to be liking your simple pizza.

Cheese, dough, tomato, hot stuff.

Really, what more do you need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back