• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Specialty Hot Sauce Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jedi- I see it says "attached thumbnail"  I had that in a prep post also.  Not sure what's up with that either.

RM- does your mom get what the TDs are about or does she roll her eyes at the idea going through all this fuss just to post pics on an internet forum?  :rolleyes: 
:lol:

She had a little trouble wrapping her mind around how the voting worked without the ability to smell and taste the food being prepared Ann. She totally gets what the Throwdowns are all about though and we had a blast developing what we were going to do and how we were going to get there and we would totally do it again. Now I just have to get her to be a member now.

Scovie's Molé Verde :BOLD:

This is a variation of the Mexican sauce known as Molé. Traditionally served with Chicken or Turkey,
Molé is a nut and seed based sauce with heat and a little sweetness to it.
Not as Popular as Molé Poblano, or Molé Rojo, but is still widely accepted as pure awesome.
Typically, The the Chicken is simmered in the sauce, but the twist I put on it was to marinate
the chicken in the sauce, and then grill it. 

Ingredients:
• 3 Fresh Tomatillos de- husked and toasted in the oven to bring out the sweet
• 1 Fresh Poblano, Roasted in the oven, skinned and seeded
• 2 Fresh whole Jalapeños
• 5 Fresh whole Seranos
• 1 Medium White Onion
• 1 Dried Ancho Poblano
• 4 TBS Peanut Oil
• 4 TBS Canola Oil
• 7 Garlic Cloves
• 1 C. coarsely chopped Cilantro
• 1/3 C. Pepitas (hulled green Pumpkin Seeds) + a few reserved for garnish
• 1/4 Sesame Seeds Toasted
• 2 TBS Pine Nuts Toasted
• 2 TBS Peanuts
• 1-1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
• 1-1/2 tsp whole Mexican Oregano
• 1 tsp Red Savina Powder
• 1/2 tsp White Powder
• 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
• 1 Pinch of Cinnamon
• 1-1/2 TBS Butter
• Garlic Salt to taste
• 1 C Chicken Broth
• Toasted Corn Tortillas to thicken, I used 2/3 of one tortilla
• 4 De-Boned Chicken Thighs

While the Tomatillos, Poblano, Ancho and Tortillas are roasting in the oven,
Toast the Pine Nuts and Sesame Seeds in a hot pan.
Combine nuts, seeds, fresh peppers, and seasonings in the Food Processor.
Add a little Chicken Broth to keep it moving.

In the hot pan, add diced Onion and Garlic to sweat them, just until they turn translucent.
Add to Food Processor.

Once all the ingredients have been pureed, pour in a sauce pan and cook the sauce
stirring constantly for at least 15 minutes. Once the sauce has been cooked, ad two spoonfuls
to a vacuum container with the four Chicken Thighs, and Marinade over night.
I added 3 more Serannos, and 2 more Jalapeños to this Marinade.

Let the sauce continue to simmer for an hour then re-puree in the Food Processor.
Adjusting desired consistency as you go with either the Corn Tortilla, or more Chicken Broth.

Grill the Chicken on High Heat until done and juicy with a nice crusty char on the skin.
A couple spoonfuls of Mole on the plate, and layer the chicken on top. Sprinkle a few Pepitas on the Chicken,
and serve with Cumin-Lime Mexican Rice dusted with Paprika and Red Habanero powder,
And Hot Toasted Corn Tortillas.

file_zps44853175.jpg

file_zps0323cc89.jpg

Here are my process pics... http://thehotpepper.com/topic/40993-begin-specialty-hot-sauce-throwdown/?p=864408

Dos Tequila's por favor.

Just giving a general heads up! I'd hate to see any of these awesome entries DQed over a technicality! 1 hour left!

Scovie's Mole rocks again!

Phil, is someone missing a PoL or ???  PoL's in teaser or prep pics is allowed.   

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back