• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Taco Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
ingredients. Add an onion into that too, i forgot. tomatoes and peppers are fresh picked. Heat elements are: pex's hornet bomb for a chili aioli for the beer battered fish taco, as well as some for the lobster bisque reduction. There's also some smoked trini pepper salt that I made that will be added to the bisque as well as the blackening seasoning for the blackened fish taco and guac. There are also some unknown, probably red habaneros, for the green papaya salad

20150405_155627.jpg

fresh taro
20150405_172625.jpg

Chili lime aioli
20150405_172051.jpg

Steaming the lobster shell without meat with veggie broth to infuse the broth and cook the shell. 
20150405_160506.jpg

Grind the shells up then cook in a dutch oven with some hot oil then add a bit of vodka to create a flambe. Sorry i didn't get a picture of the flambe, i wasn't thinking and it went out before i could grab my phone. Simmer the shell with the infused broth, then blend it together in a vitamix then put it all through a cheese cloth. 
20150405_162001.jpg

Broil the tomatoes and remove the burnt skins. Add to blender.
20150405_170425.jpg

Add pex's hornet bomb and some smoked trini pepper salt then reduce. It hasn't been fully reduced in this pic. 
20150405_174129.jpg

Peel the green papaya and taro. This is where i'm at so far
20150405_173122.jpg

Have been following the last two throw downs closely to make sure I understand the rules. Plan to join in soon. All of these look great!

Geeme, your cheese shells are brilliant!

Rymerpt, love the vid and good for you for overcoming the limitations of your "kitchen".

Big B...Damn!

Look forward to how this plays out.

That's not hotstuff's final post is it?

hogleg said:
I like my Tacos, Taco truck style. Less is more for me when it comes to Tacos. Give me tasty meat, onions, cilantro, and a squeez of lime, with a yummy fresh sauce on a scalded tortilla. No less, no more. Froofy is nice, and I'll eat em but my heart is with simple traditional.

GET EM RYME!!!

That's me, too.

Edit: Good lookin' stuff in here so far, BTW!

cypresshill1973 said:
I will make 3 kind of taco. Steak tampiqueño stile, breaded chiken with Jerk sauce, and shrimps.

2015-04-05%252019.53.45.jpg

Seasoning the steak...

2015-04-05%252019.55.41.jpg

looks great. a small request. would you mind identifying the green object in the bowl with the tomato for me? looks like a tomato. did I get that right?

or the shrimp lol
yeah I think so

lets see, where was I....

Spiralize the green papaya, thinly slice/julienne the taro and assemble the mango salsa. That includes thinly sliced red onion, cilantro, cubed cucumber, cubed mango, some vinegar.
20150405_182258.jpg

Next, make the dressing for the papaya salad. Use a mortar&pestle to mash garlic, a whole pepper and some palm sugar.
20150405_182815.jpg

After that, add in fish sauce and lime juice and pound out to mix. Next Add that to the papaya salad, throw in some tomatoes *I used my tiny everglades tomatoes. It's a wild florida tomato. That one in the picture can contend for the world's smallest tomato, but i've grown smaller* Now, mash it all up with the pestle and mix to incorporate the flavor.
20150405_183216.jpg

Dual action, making tortillas and blackening the fish. Seasoning is paul prudhomme's seafood magic mixed with my pepper salt.
20150405_191530.jpg

Make the beer batter for the fish and fry the fish
20150405_191533.jpg

20150405_191929.jpg

Final post soon to come. I've taken the picture already, just a bit more writeup to do

Dang it G!

Where's your final post?

I want those cheezy taco shell tacos pronto!

Disappoint and we'll talk smack about you for months. 

Even worse than black pepper or worse....

SOYRIZO.

Sweet Tacos for TB's Dear Sweet Ma

Taco Shells:
Havarti Cheese
Heat CI in oven to 200F. Once heated, move to stovetop burner set to low. Place a ring mold in the CI then sprinkle finely-shredded havarti inside the ring. Spread the cheese to a thin, even layer before it melts and immediately remove the ring mold. Continue to cook on low to low-medium heat until the bubbling has slowed and the surface appears less glossy than at first. Quickly wrap over a wooden spoon handle to shape.

See the entire shell process in this linked post.

Fruit Taco Filling:
Coconut Rum, Ginger Syrup, Kiwi, Mango, Strawberry, Blackberry, Congo Trinidad powder, Lime Juice.
Chop fruit. Sprinkle on some congo trinidad powder. Drizzle with rum, lime and ginger syrup, then stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate, stirring occasionally. Drain excess liquid before filling taco shells. Once filled, drizzle with chocolate sauce.

Pear Taco Filling:
Pear, Butter, Piloncillo, Ginger Syrup, Cinnamon, Doughlah powder, dried shredded Coconut, Lime Juice
Peel and chop pear. Place in saucepan with other ingredients. Gently heat until butter and piloncillo are melted and pear is soft. Drain excess liquid before filling taco shells. Once filled, drizzle with chocolate sauce.

Chocolate Sauce:
4 squares from Lindt dark chocolate bar
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup whipping cream
dash of salt
congo trinidad powder
Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, then remove from heat.

One of the cheese shells ready to be shaped:
t1.jpg

Mixed fruit filling with ginger syrup, coconut rum, lime juice, and congo trinidad powder, ready to go into the fridge:
t3.jpg

The pear filling getting down and brown:
t4.jpg

Oooooh YEAH!
t6.jpg

Perfect taco for a sunny spring day:
t5.jpg

There was going to be a third amigo - a strawberry-chocolate truffle taco, but it went man down. As in, man down on the floor. At least I got to lick the bowl - it was yummmmmy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back