• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Taco Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neat! I like the boozy fruit... but the pear better! I love cooked pear, coconut, chocolate crepes! So why not this? The havarti, good choice.

Ok. So i'll call it BigB's Seafood Triple Threat Tacos with Taro chips and Thai Green Papaya Salad

Here's a link to pics of the process: part 1. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/53914-begin-taco-throwdown/?p=1143785 
part 2. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/53914-begin-taco-throwdown/?p=1143880

Ingredients: Corn tortilla: masa, veg oil, smoked trini pepper salt, warm water

Thai Green Papaya Salad: Papaya, garlic, palm sugar, fish sauce, lime juice, maybe red habanero?, everglade cherry tomato

Mango Salsa: Mango, cucumber, cilantro, lime juice, white wine vinegar, thinly sliced red onion (forgot in ingredient picture)

Blackened fish: fresh caught yellow tail snapper, Paul Prudhomme’s seafood magic + smoked trini mystery pepper pepper salt

Beer battered fish: fresh caught yellow tail snapper, porgy and mackerel, flour, corn starch, paprika, cayenne (previous 2 forgot to add in ingredient pic), beer

Chile aioli: mayo, pex’s hornet bomb, soy sauce

Guac: avocado, thinly sliced red onion, cilantro, lime juice, smoked trini salt

Lobster tempura: fresh caught florida spiny lobster, flour, corn starch, vodka, seltzer water egg (forgot egg and seltzer in ingredient pic)

Lobster sauce reduction: lobster shells, vegetable broth, heavy cream, lemon juice, pex’s hornet bomb, smoked trini mystery salt, need a vitamin to blend, roasted tomato blend (green zebra, red cherry, sun gold, black cherry)

Blackened Taco = blackened fish + salsa + crispy bits from beer battered fish 
Fried Fish Taco= fried fish + guac + chile aioli
Tempura Lobster Taco= Lobster tempura + lobster sauce reduction

Not the best quality picture, but took a closeup of each taco. I was hungry. Going Clockswise, starting with the Thai green papaya salad --> taro chips --> Blackened fish taco with mango salda--> lobster tempura taco with lobster sauce reduction --> fried fish taco with guac and chile pepper aioli 
20150405_193446.jpg

20150405_193457.jpg

20150405_193503.jpg

20150405_193509.jpg

Time to digest and do homework

D3monic said:
Don't have to lie to kick it, we know you went all 10 second rule on it. It's ok, all fair with berries and chocolate

LOL - I wish! This was chocolate-strawberry truffle filling all over the floor, cabinets, oven, walls, me……  :lol:

geeme said:
LOL - I wish! This was chocolate-strawberry truffle filling all over the floor, cabinets, oven, walls, me……  :lol:
Oh. So you didn't drop it. It exploded!

[SIZE=32.5pt]Tacos del Pastor, [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt](Because I'm a pastor, get it)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Baja Blanco Tacos, Tacos de Jamón de Pascua, Conejito de Pascua Tacos
Guacamole Sala and Butch-T chips
[/SIZE]

Totillas:
 3.5 cups masa harina and 1.5 cups of water,
Mix, roll into balls, squash with plate put in frying pan.

[SIZE=9.5pt]Baja Blanco Tacos[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]White bass given to you from Church member[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Sprinkle with home=made special Butch-T spice mix[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Cook in pan, put in tacos[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Tacos de Jamón de Pascua[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Take Easter ham and cut it up.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Cover with Salsa Verde[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]              Juice from ½ lime[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]              Handfull of cilantro[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]              2 pints of pork stock[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]              1 onion[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]              6 jalaquan chili peppers[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]              Salt, Pepper and Garlic[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Soak for a few hours. Warm on skillet[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Conejito de Pascua Tacos[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Take one Easter bunny, debone and cut into pieces [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]And cook till it turns white.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Cover with Salsa Rojo[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]              10 Guajillo chilies[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]              20 chili japones[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]              Soak for an hour[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]              Add juice from rabbit[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]              Add cumin, garlic, salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]              Blend.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Sides: Guacamole Salad.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]1 Avocado[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]1 red bell pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]1 red onion[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]A bit of cilantro chopped fine[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Juice from a lime[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]1 tomato[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Salt, pepper and garlic to taste
Chop it all up and place to the side
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Pico de Gallo (for tacos)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]1 tomato diced[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]1 red onion diced[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]1 red pepper diced[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Juice of a lime[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Handful of cilantro[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Hot chips[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Cut up pieces of the tortillas[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Fry in pan[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Toss with Butch-T special seasoning [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Can be eaten with pico de gallo.[/SIZE]

Yum!

Don't forget the descriptions and recipes from you other posts, to pop in there.

Wow hot stuff! Now I can't wait to take my time reading the rest of the entries.

LOL, thp! No, I dropped the bowl before even getting to fill a shell - tupperware, so it went a-bouncing, sending filling sailing with each bounce. And good times were had by all!  :lol:

Cool HS!

The marinating meats and cooking tortillas are good/appetizing pics too, you have 2 left if you want to use in this post!

After 2 hours of marinating the steak in seasoning mix and lime juice, is so.

2015-04-05%252021.27.39.jpg

Then we started to cook the steak

2015-04-05%252021.38.28.jpg

Meanwhile cook the breaded chicken with homemade jerk sauce in the electric convection oven.

2015-04-05%252021.45.42.jpg

And of couse some shrimps...

2015-04-05%252021.34.21.jpg

meanwhile I choped the vegetables...

2015-04-05%252021.27.21.jpg

At the end is near lunchtime ... It looked very rich and I opened the appetite haha

2015-04-05%252021.42.30.jpg

2015-04-05%252021.47.51.jpg

Ricos tacos...

Just got caught up, great display BigB, Hot stuff and Geeme. Love the originality Geeme. Nothing beats a good dessert taco.

Tacos de Domingo

Although I come from too much food covered by Easter. No part of TD wanted to not eat too much, but we are here haha.

My tacos will be something simple. Meat, chicken and seafood

Ingredients.

1 piece Steak, 1 piece breaded chicken and shrimps.Tomatoes and nira (chinese chives) from my garden. Onion and lettuce. We also use a cast time last cheese, pickled peppers and spicy sauces.

Cooking

The breaded chicken was cooked into the electric oven (convection air sistem) covered to both sides with homemade Jerk sauce. Were cut in slices more late.
The steak is a tampiqueño stile seasoning for 2 hours. The marinate that I use was a casa fiesta season mix and lime juice
Before I cooked on the griddle.

The shrimp as well cook on the griddle. Only put salt, black pepper and lime juice

Preparation:

Chop the onion, tomatoes and lettuce. I used a flour tortillas from market, then warmed on the grill 20 seconds on each side.

I put a bit of each ingredient on the tortillas. So as make an tacos es very easy, no more more to write, just eat my fresh tacos

2015-04-05%252021.53.22.jpg

2015-04-05%252021.53.29.jpg

2015-04-05%252021.53.35.jpg

2015-04-05%252021.53.43.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back