• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Tortilla Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patience Grasshoppers.....

1st tequila poured....But I'm stayin' out of the kitchen! Scovie's in there with hot oil, sharp knives, there's ice tinkling in something big & brown and swear words.

And the horse I chose won the Derby!!!!! Oh, it's gonna be a fun night!!!

Dance, Scovie, Dance!!!!!!

My plan:

shredded carnitas stuffed inside little homemade tortilla raviolis on a bed of roasted poblanos, smothered in queso, and pequin/arbol sauce.

With the carnitas done...Istarted trying to make tortillas. Trying..trying...everything sticks...flour and masa all over the floor...

After 30 minutes, and not one damn tortilla piece made, I got pissed, gently placed the masa in the sink...which broke a plate due to its velocity, then I got more pissed, and took the whole damn bag of dry masa, and dumped it in the compost bin.

F*** making tortillas. Never again.

We had carnitas with lettuce and tomato...and the salsa.

So...enjoy your TD...I'll be watching from the stands.

Oh LunchBox!!!! That so sucks!!!! What an awesome sounding idea tho! Tortilla raviolis!!!

Hmm...maybe that's why things are so quiet around here today....tortilla torments?

(2nd tequila poured!)

That sux LB! I have made tortillas a few times, and EVERY time I F them up. I have just accepted the fact that I suck and will be forced to spend the rest of my life buying tortillas...

I am cookin tomorrow, tonight is make up night with the wife from last night. (Ever put a movie on and about 30 mins in have your significant other lean over and say "congrats on the movie choice, you know you aren't getting laid tonight"?) Well if you are looking to get lucky, don't watch Hesher...

My packaged tortillas and me are ready for some fun tomorrow, tonight it is Grand Patron and WHATEVER THE F#@% THE WIFE WANTS TO WATCH!

TB is going big. This was made for him, and he hasn't been crowned in like... a year? He's been studying up on SoFlo camera techniques, and is in the kitchen making a mess right now. I betcha.

c1d9f31e.jpg

BAM!

LunchBox, just go buy some tortillas! That sounds too good not to see.

No TD for Me. We just got in from a 2-day bbq that I catered. I'm wiped out. Tomorrow I have to make salsa in the morning and then drive to the coast to take care of my mom for a few days.

I'll be living vicariously, so MAKE SOME GUUUD SCHTUFF!

That sure is a purdy bottle MG!!!! but dont let Wheebz see it! He hung up on me once, just for saying the word Patron!!!!!! Cant wait to see your entry tomorrow...and be extra sweet to your lady tonight!!!!!

I know SL has been cooking her hiney off, so she should get a bye. but where is everyone else? What happened...did Bootsie recruit everyone to his TD????????? Lol Oh, say it aint so!!!!!

Pedro DeVille's Bow to the Almighty Tortilla

Tacos:
• 1 lb. Ground Sirloin
• 1/2 Baking Potato
• 3 Fresh Jalapeños
• 3 Cloves fresh Garlic
• 2 Tbs. Scovie's Chile Powder
• 1/2 Tbs Cumin
• 1/2 White Onion
• 1 cup Water
• 12- 6" Corn Tortillas
• 3 Tbs Veg Oil

Regionally traditional, Potatoes were added to the Taco meat, or any meat filling. I'm guessing that it's because it's friggen awesome.
-Tiny dice potatoes, and fry until browned, add garlic and veggies, cook until all are soft.
-Add Ground Beef, Chile Powder and water, gradually, and let simmer until liquid is gone, but meat is thick and gooey.
-Put 3 Tbs of meat filling to each tortilla, and use tooth picks to hold them closed
-Deep fry until golden brown, and drain on a paper towel
-Add Cabbage or lettuce, Tillamook Cheddar, and Tillamook Jack cheeses, and top with your favorite Taco sauce.

Quesadilla's:

• Left Over (from Thursday) Garlic Baked Chicken Hind Quarters
• 1 Flour Tortilla per Qdilla, (I made 2)
• Tillamook Cheddar, Tillamook Jack, and Cotija cheeses
• Green Onion Tops
• Diced Red Onion
• CJ's Homemade Salsa
• Topped with LDHS Smoked Hab sauce

-Layer all ingredients starting with Cheddar and ending with Jack, on one half of each Tortilla. Fold other half over and press down to form a raw taco, lol.
Fry in a pan on med heat, with a heated lid on it for about 6 minutes each side.

Sopapillas:

• Flour Tortillas
• Strawberry Jam
• Honey
• RocketMan's Original Dragon's Blood Sauce
• Cinnamon Powder
• Scovie's Chile Powder
• Sethsquatch's WILDfire Powder
• 1/2 tsp French Vanilla ice cream
• Whipped Cream in a can

-Cut Flour Tortillas into bite size pieces, any shape you like
-Deep fry until light and crispy, (golden brown).
-1. Layer: Strawberry Jam, Ice Cream, Whipped Cream. Dust with SD's Chile Powder
-2. Layer: RocketMan's Dragon's Blood Chocolate Sauce, Ice Cream, Whipped Cream. Dust with Cinnamon.
-3. Layer: Ice Cream, Whipped Cream. Drizzle with Honey and Dust with Sethsquatch's WildFire Powder... (So long Suckahs!!!)

fc1d769e.jpg

661b5d30.jpg

Here's My photo process... #61

Darnit Scovie! If I wasn't already drinking, I'd be driving right now...RIGHT OVER TO YOUR HOUSE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back