• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Tortilla Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice entries! See boss... No dud! Lol

Are you stuffed Sum? Jajajajajajajajajaja (I would be fer sure!)

Dude, it was awesome. Your chilli mix blend has a powerful taste with some good heat. VERY good. And, no... there's no way I could eat all of that. That's what tomorrow and the next day are for.

LunchBox's "Don't Get Your Manties in a Wad Over Makin' Tortillas" Chinga-Changa

Carnitas: In Cast Iron pot, sear 2 pounds of pork loin with 10 cloves of garlic. Once seared, add enough water to almost cover the meat, add black chili powder, paprika, sea salt, cumin seeds, black pepper, a pinch of thyme, half an onion, and 4 roasted and peeled numex green chiles. Cover, and let boil down for 3 hours. Then, shred the pork with a wooden spoon, and mix with remaining juices, and turn the burner off.

Tortilla thigie - 1 cup of flour, a pinch of sea salt, a pinch of baking powder, 1/3 cup of water, and a few tsp of corn oil. Work it into a ball, smack it down on some floured wax paper, and roll out thin.

Chinga-Changa: Place carnitas on one half, and roasted/peeled poblanos under/on top of that. Fold over to make a pocket, fold the seams, pinch to seal with a fork. Drop into hot oil and fry for a few minutes, turn, an finish it off.

Queso: I like Velveeta...so there. Take half a brick, melt it with garlic powder, black pepper, chipotle powder, a can of habanero rotel, a fresh jalapeno, some diced onion, and cilantro.

Salsa (and you really have to make this stuff): Take 10 roma tomatoes, 3-5 cloves of garlic, and put them on a pan in the oven, top rack, at high broil. Pull the garlic out when it blackens on one side. Turn the tomatoes until most of the remaining skins are blackened. In a smaller pan, on a lower shelf, dump in about 20 chile de arbols, and the same amount of chile pequins...dried is fine. When they start to blacken after a few minutes, pull them out. Dump everything in a blender, add a little sea salt, onion powder, and 2 ice cubes. Blend the shit out of it. This salsa should be thinner than regular table salsa. Let cool overnight uncovered on the fridge.

To combine everything...well...look at the damn pic. If you can't figure it out from there, maybe this isn't the right planet for you.

SALUD!

maytdplate1-001.jpg

maytdplate2-001.jpg

Plan A. Homemade flour tortillas, stuffed with seared steak, mashed tators, grilled orange tomato, sautéed crimini mushrooms, shaved onion, smoked blue cheese topped with homemade oatmeal stout sauce.

Sauce ingredients; added the whole beer with equal parts on beef broth, herbs and a heavy dash of liquid smoke, simmer and reduce to ¼ to 1/3 cup, then mix with mayo. Disregard the sour cream in the photo, I should have checked it at the store but it was open and went bad.
IMG_0091.jpg

Flour tortilla ingredients;
IMG_0089.jpg

Assembly;
IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

Plan A; Hand held steak dinner.
Homemade Flour tortilla:
All-purpose flour
Salt
Baking powder
Lard
Cups water

Smokey Oatmeal Stout sauce
Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout
Beef Broth
Liquid smoke
Mustard seed
Coriander seed
Thyme
Roasted Cumin
Pasille chiles
Basil
Black Pepper
Mexican Oregano
Mayonnaise

Filling
Steak seasoned with S&P seared on both sides on a +600⁰ CI
Roasted Orange Tomatoes
Instant, yes instant mashed potatoes
Shaved Onion
Sautéed crimini mushrooms
Smoked Blue cheese
And of course the Smokey Oatmeal stout sauce

Plan C; Mexican chocolate tortilla
Chocolate Tortilla:
All-purpose flour
Unsweetened cocoa powder
Salt
Baking powder
Lard
Water
Vanilla extract

Chocolate Coffee Icing
Heavy cream
Dark chocolate chips
Whole bean French roast coffee (beans cracked)

Mexican Chocolate Icing
Heavy cream
Dark chocolate chips
Cinnamon sticks – crushed
Pasille chiles – crushed

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

Again I had fun doing this, and the Mexican chocolate tortilla was for pure fun, and since I used dark chocolate and special dark cocoa powder it’s not sickeningly sweet, as I believe it should be to be Mexican.

Plan A. Homemade flour tortillas, stuffed with seared steak, mashed tators, grilled orange tomato, sautéed crimini mushrooms, shaved onion, smoked blue cheese topped with homemade oatmeal stout sauce.

This, of all the descriptions so far, made my mouth water whilst reading. Definitely got some cool flavor combos working here!

Oh there it is. Have to take a close look.

NICE recovery there, LB! I'm not usually into fried foods, but I'd definitely sink into that one.

Oy PK - I am glad you made that. I was going to make chocolate tortillas myself, but this is final exam weekend for me, into the coming week. One down now, and a research paper due tomorrow... Ugh! But your pic and ingredients make up for all that - YUMMY!

LB, that calzone-shaped chimi looks yummers.

Boss, is there any way possible to extend the deadline and hour? I'm coming in late and have been working all day on it. If not, cool, I'll post any way for the hell of it.

If 3/5 has been going all day... with the number of entrants, my vote is for an hour extension to get another in. What say the rest of you? Yea/Nay?

I'll PM one person who has entered, anonymously, and let you know the answer.

NICE recovery there, LB! I'm not usually into fried foods, but I'd definitely sink into that one.

I don't usually eat, or cook fried stuff...but something was calling me to do it...lol

If 3/5 has been going all day... with the number of entrants, my vote is for an hour extension to get another in. What say the rest of you? Yea/Nay?

I say so.

Yay, t'was said unto the Boss, "extendeth thy mighty but merciful hand down'th from the heavens...and grant thy sheep an extra hour and shit."

Okay the PM seems unnecessary the entrants have spoken.

11:30 is IT THOUGH!

3/5 just used up the extend card. No more :D

This one had a strange late start so it was okay but in the future if someone is running late I can't just extend it. It will not become common practice.

3/5 if those tortillas are from a bag after this... you're getting a b**ch slap!

This, of all the descriptions so far, made my mouth water whilst reading. Definitely got some cool flavor combos working here!

Oh there it is. Have to take a close look.
Thanks it was damn tasty. Think it would have been a little better if I had done the onions up like onion rings for a little more texture/flavor.

Oy PK - I am glad you made that. I was going to make chocolate tortillas myself, but this is final exam weekend for me, into the coming week. One down now, and a research paper due tomorrow... Ugh! But your pic and ingredients make up for all that - YUMMY!
Thanks, the chocolate tortilla worked out rather well, since there was no sugar the Dutch processed cocoa cut the bitterness. I made them on the thicker side for the cake, but think if done thinner would have went well with something like chicken with mole sauce.

LOL Gotta give you credit for making mole, I’ve looked into it and don’t believe I have the patients to make it, plus I’d be passed out on the floor from drinking before I was even half way done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back