• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Tortilla Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in.
2c44c76d.jpg

Well...after I got my manties out of a wad...I decided to slap something together today. This time...working with flour tortillas instead of corn.

It's not fancy, certainly notas elaborate or complex as what we're seeing so far...but I hated to see a tortilla TD live without me...so here's what just happened:

Shredded carnitas and roastd poblanos in the blankie...

maytdteaser1.jpg

Tuck 'em in...

maytdteaser2.jpg

More later...

I’m limited on time and photobucket is down again, no surprise there, just created a flicker account, F’n around to figure out the differences on posting pics, hope this works.

Plan C…

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

Icing ingredients, I made two Icings, one Mexican with pasilla and cinnamon and the other coffee with Italian roast beans.

IMG_0022.jpg

Simmered coffee or pasilla and cinnamon in heavy cream for about 10 min., strained then added to the chocolate to melt, them whipped the Mexican icing.

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

I have to get ready for work and take care of the dogs, will post plan A in a bit.

SO that didn't work and I ain't got time to mess with this now... I'll try to fix later.

Use the image link not the page link.

MG's Seis de Mayo Sopa de Mexicanos y Sammy

Funny story about this one. I haven't been following the TD convo this month, but I knew it was tortillas. Each Sunday the wife and I plan our menu for the week so we can go shopping on Monday and get everything we need. I said, let's do Tortilla soup and she said she was in the mood for Quesadillas. Without thinking anything of it, we pegged it for Tuesday and picked up the ingredients. Tuesday, right about when I was gonna start cooking I scanned THP for any updates, and lo and behold, it was staring at me, Tortilla TD....I guess it was fate, so I told the wife there was a change of plans, and we are gonna have sushi instead so I can Tortilla it up on the weekend. Part 2 is the fact that the only thing I crave the day after a heavy drinker is some soup and a sammy. So, hence the seis de Mayo choice. The perfect hangover accoutrement.

For the soup.

Chicken pieces of choice (I chose 2 Breasts and 3 thighs.
EVOO
Cumin
Chili Powder (Homemade if ya got it!)
Garlic Powder
Salt
Couple of Jals
Half an Onion
Half a Green Pepper and Red Pepper
Couple 2 or 3 cloves of Garlic
1 can diced tomatoes with chiles
Chicken Stock
5 oz can of tomato paste
4 cups hot water
2 cans Black Beans (drain em!)
3 tbs masa or cornmeal
5 corn tortillas (Cut them into 2 or 3 inch strips)

Spread some EVOO on the chicken, mix spices and rub (leave about half). Stick em in the oven @375 for 20 mins, take em out and then grill them to get that nice char. Shred.

Dice up all your veg, and throw it in a soup pot with some EVOO. Saute until soft, and then add in the rest of your spices and chicken. Stir well, then add the beans, maters (in juice), water, and chicken stock. BTBRTS and let go for about 30/40 mins.

Take the cornmeal/masa and mix with a bit of water to make slurry, add to soup to help thiken it. Let it simmer for another 30 mins.

Just before serving bring a heavy CI skillet with oil up to about 350 and fry a few tortillas worth of strips. Then add about 5 tortillas worth of strips to the soup.

Top with Salsa (recipe below), Cheese, Sour Cream, and Fried Tortilla strips.

Quesadillas

Lg flour torilla
Mexican Cheese
Butter

Break out a CI, bring it up to heat, throw in the butter, and then the tortilla. Throw the queso on, cover when it melts flip half an let it all melt together until you get a nice char. Top with Salsa (recipe below) and sour cream.

Salsa

1/2 Red bell, green bell, and yellow bell
Ear of corn
1 lime
2 jals
1/4 cup red onion
cilantro
Salt and pepper
cumin
1 tomato
1/2 Avacado

Grill corn and jals until charred, chop veg and throw into a big ol bowl. Remove corn from cob an add. Add lime and seasoning to taste. Chill for at least an hour to let the flavors meld.

2bbb9544.jpg

And the SLOP SHOT!
c1b4f0a5.jpg

Aight ya'll. Got down in the SoFlo Skunkwerks last night and today. Whipped up some mean stuff.

This is what happens when you throw a whole fryer chicken in a slow-cooker for an over night 12+ hours.... magic happens.

IMG_4803.jpg

You really need to have a good grip on chicken anatomy to use this method. This duration of cooking starts to break down bones. A good eye is a MUST.

But you end up with chicken that is juicy and falls off the carcass. Here's some pulled chicken with jugo del gallo (juice of the cock) mixed in.

IMG_4805.jpg

Whipped up some quick tortilla dough.

IMG_4804.jpg

Then rolled those bad-boys out and cooked 'em up.

IMG_4813.jpg

I said before I did 8, but I found more hidding in the stack.

IMG_4815.jpg

Somewhere in between I made some freash Pico salsa. Here's the choppy chop in progress.

IMG_4814.jpg

Then I used those fresh tortillas to do this...

IMG_4817.jpg

IMG_4829.jpg

Tortilla!

OK Photo-kickedthe-bucket is working for me again. But don’t have the time to post here, have to pack lunch and leave for work. Hopefully I’ll have time to post at work if not oh well.

Damn sum! Looks great.
What is it?

I'm out on this one.
Excuses are like assholes, so I won't bore you.
Trust.
I'm in next time. I had a kick ass idea, too, which might need to be drunken cheffed.

I'm liking scovies tacos. And mgold right there with him.

Nice entries! See boss... No dud! Lol

Are you stuffed Sum? Jajajajajajajajajaja (I would be fer sure!)

Thanks Fd, I really enjoyed this one, we were having so much fun yesturday, just cooking, drinking and THP'n.

I tried my best to "celebrate the Tortilla". The Sopopillas with RM's Dragon's Blood stole the show, HANDS DOWN!
Thanks again RM!

Thanks everyone, and Sum....I hate you.... :(

Anyways, here is how I got there...

Pollo Before...
cd166af1.jpg

Pollo after....
93799b00.jpg

Google translate cant compute Mirepoix...
dcac028a.jpg

Get ya salsa on!
0792841b.jpg

Its Quesadilla time... :dance:
0ba00e86.jpg

And finally Fry up some tillas!
77c4b70b.jpg

3ea82956.jpg

I know, before you try to burn me at the stake, I DIDNT MAKE MY OWN TORTILLAS. Here is the deal, instead of eating crap that photographs well, I decided to enjoy tonights meal. My hat is off to everyone who can create an edible tortilla from scratch, I am not that guy. I would end up with a pretty little plating pic, but when the wife took a bite and spit out flour I would be sleeping in my grow tent for a week. I love my grow tent, but not that much.... :lol:

Sum's Jenga Stack of Chicken Quesadillas

(with a cameo of Scoville DeVille's chilli powder.)

When I think of tortillas, the first thing that comes to mind is quesadillas and how easy they are to make.

Making fresh tortillas brought in a whole new world of complication to the process.

Chicken was tossed in the slow cooker the night before. It was naked, as bought, chicken. No spices or salt added. Cooked on high for 5 hours, then put on low for ten hours so I could catch some winks. Before I fell asleep I mixed 52 grams of Scoville DeVille's proprietary chilli powder blend into 16oz of sour cream, and added a touch of salt to marinate for the night.

Upon waking I whipped up some tortilla dough whilst sipping a beer. Somewhere in there I pulled the chicken to pieces and mixed it up with some of the broth. Perfect, robust chicken flavor.

Tortilla dough:
3 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
6.5 Tbsp veg shortening
1 cup hot water

Kneaded for 3 minutes and left to rest for 15 minutes.
Then formed them into small balls about 1.5" - 2" and rolled them out flat for the pan. I used a tapered French rolling pin, and found I had an amazing amount of (more) control over a regular rolling pin.

Quesadilla:
Bottom tortilla topped with Mexican four blend cheese, jalapeno jack cheese, pulled chicken, and on all but one the spiced sour cream mix. Then capped with another tortilla and tossed on a medium hot skillet and flipped a few times for the melting process. I made one regular and three with the chilli mix. Cut them all in quarters and stacked them jenga style. Each one can can be pulled out and topped the way you like, just like the one depicted on the plate.

Fresh Pico de Gallo salsa:
Coarse chopped tomatoes, onions, garlic cloves, cilantro, jalapenos, and poblanos. Queezed half a lime into the mix and folded it all together with a pinch of salt.

Sadly, the guacamole was store bought. It was a spur of the moment decision to include it, and fresh avocados down here are not ripe enough to make good guac the day of purchase.

See my process.

IMG_4826.jpg

IMG_4822.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back