• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Where There's Smoke, There's Tapas... Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hot Pepper said:
Whoa perfect cook Booma! Nice job on the brisket.

Let that second butt pass the plateau that's how you get the juices!
Of course, always to 190 then wrapped and rested for 1 hour. Enough juice to lather a full stadium of hungry men. 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I doubt it has a ring....  :shh:

It has a ring :D
Dammit, Booma! When are you gonna start handing out plates of that stuff??? I gots me a mega hangover and could use some of that!

I'm in this bitch. 

14610578053_92a0213b35_b.jpg

14610578953_0999accfb3_b.jpg

Please work. Please work. Please work. 

Buzz said:

It has a ring :D

Dammit, Booma! When are you gonna start handing out plates of that stuff??? I gots me a mega hangover and could use some of that!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4m1EFMoRFvY

Up in here with some guava? Let's do this!

The Steelhead Saga Continues! 

Last post was the fish out of the brine and dried for a couple hours.  Nice skin, looking good!
IMG_2814.JPG

Now at this point, I'd like to say...my smoker really stinks!  Tried to get the chips smoking at a very low temp but it never caught.  Tried starting them with a propane hand torch, and still no go!  We ended up starting some briquettes with the torch, got a couple chunks going, dumped the briquettes into the burn pan of the smoker and kept adding apple wood shreds.  FINALLY got some smoke, and then things were rocking.  Kept at it for about 6 hours. 

Couple pics of the chunked pieces and some flaked up some for today's Tapas.

IMG_2815.JPG

IMG_2818.JPG

IMG_2821.JPG

IMG_2827.JPG

IMG_2828.JPG

IMG_2831.JPG

IMG_2836.JPG

Bump please~

Gracias, neoguy!

Smoked Steelhead Tapas!

baguette bread cut on the bias into thin slices, brush with melted butter/olive oil/ crushed garlic and lightly grill until toasty brown.
IMG_2833.JPG

IMG_2839.JPG

Smoosh up the marinated mozzarella cheese with a fork and spread it on the toasted bread slices.  Add some shallot slivers and flaked fish on top of the cheese and pop into 400F oven (convection or under broiler works best) until the cheese is melted.

IMG_2840.JPG

IMG_2841.JPG

Top with fresh basil chiffonade and fresh tomato.  Perfect 3-bite tapas.  Oh!  Sprinkle a few with 7-Pot powder, just make sure to keep track which ones were sprinkled!  :lol:
IMG_2843.JPG

IMG_2844.JPG

Looks good, TB...Now look at this!!!

Here's the 4th of Ribs, all good and sloppy. 
Served with a proper american beer. Properly. 

When you St. Lous (verb) a cut of spare ribs, you end up with a lot of excess meat. 

The ribs (what was left) and the excess smoked meats were shredded and used for our tapas. 
The ribs were smoked low and slow. Check it out. 

For tapas, we made Tostones topped with pulled pork and mango salsa (homegrown mango), 
Also, Smoked Pork- Jalapeno Corn Fritters with Carolina Mustard Sauce
and Pulled Pork-Cheddar Empanadas

Best. Meal. Ever. 

14588649761_7407f35c9a_b.jpg

14568927126_82e957793c_b.jpg

14405511607_d6b3771a49_b.jpg

14405311260_1089eefffd_b.jpg

14612037593_34588d9bbc_b.jpg

Shit that was good!

Frydad's Triple Ribbies

14588649761_7407f35c9a_b.jpg

BBQ

Smoked pork is awesome. We slaughtered up some spare ribs and smoked the heck out of it.

TAPAS

Glad to have leftovers for Tapas. 

I used my 3 tapas Max, from the same respective protein (per the rules)....and it was awesome!!!

Tapas 1: Smoked Pork Empanadas with Cheddar and 'Peno Awesomeness.
Tapas 2: Tostones with pulled guava pork and fresh mango habanero chutney
                 The pork was tossed with a homemade guava bbq sauce (fresh guava, tomato reduction, habanero, salt, apple cider vin)
                 Put on a homemade tostone, topped with a chutney of mango, onion, habanero, lime juice, and salt.
Tapas 3: Balls. Pork Balls.
                Jiffy Corn Bread batter, corn, jalapeno, cheddar, a LOT of the smoked BBQ...Ice cream scooped into oil and frittered. 
                Served with Carolina mustard BBQ sauce...yellow mustard, dash of spring water, vin, cayenne, chile pow, capers..(and sometimes                      dipped back into the guava BBQ sauce!)

Left to right...Empanadas, Tostones, Balls. 

14588681581_e86883f673_b.jpg

Balls!!! (and Tostones)
14405345770_cb89ab9549_b.jpg

Empanadas.
14405351230_95709afae8_b.jpg

It was so good in my mouth!

FD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back