• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Where There's Smoke, There's Tapas... Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
TB's Tapas.

Salmon. Atlantic Norwegian no hormone/ antibiotic farm raised, marinated in soy sauce, brown sugar red chile garlic, sriracha, garlic, orange juice and orange zest for 36 hours. Hard smoked Alaskan style over alder for 4 hours. Orange zest and marinade reduction. Like candy.

The quail. Farm raised somewhere I dunno'. Seasoned with Lawrey's then, rubbed with smoked spanish paprika and olive oil.
Smoked for 2 1/2 hours over alde. Glazed with SoFlo Mangravy. Don't ask me what's in it. I have no idea. Except its awesome!

The bloomin' onion w/ chorizo con queso. Texas yellow onion smoked for 2 hours over alder. Queso made only from  butter, garlic, onion, fresno chile, chorizo, cream, shredded cheddar cheese. No roux, corn starch or thickeners. Old school reduction.

BBQ
IMG_6821_zps6d563f70.jpg

TAPAS
IMG_6838_zpsff0a90d8.jpg

BBQ AS TAPAS
IMG_6839_zps79bee6ab.jpg

TAPAS

BBQ
IMG_6817_zpsa37372e1.jpg

TAPAS
IMG_6840_zps99d02662.jpg

I ate the hell out of it.

Bonus pic.

Best queso I ever made.

Chorizo was the best I ever ate.

The onion kicked ass!

Entrée-  I harkened back to the restaurant days for a Pasta Messina recipe. 

Angel hair pasta
shallot, red fresno pepper and garlic sautéed in butter and olive oil
Smoked steelhead
fresh basil
7 Pot powder
cream and a generous splash of white wine (plus some for the sauce.  :lol: )

fuzzy pic of ingredients-
IMG_2847.JPG

Sautee and all getting happy~
IMG_2848.JPG

IMG_2853.JPG

IMG_2854.JPG

add a bit more smoked steelhead to the top, bit of foofoo and....It's all good!
IMG_2856.JPG

Time to re-wine!  (aka waiting for a bump.  :cool:)

Y'all be killin' last minute damn keep it coming!

FD where's your BBQ presentation pics? If you did two tapas you need two BBQ.

TB... I think your BBQ and tapas pics are the same.

Incomplete entries need to be fixed by midnight.

Your BBQ plate pic allows you a tapas pic. One for one.

Tapas & BBQ. Culinary fusion

To implement this dish a culinary fusion of two continents. The modern Spanish cuisine and traditional American barbacota. It's hard to mix the two traditions for a tasty dish, but try to do so.

List of ingredients.

beef ribs.
beef brisket
Chicken (back room)
roquefort cheese
cream
sour cream cheese
olive oil
ranch sauce
taco sauce
garlic
merken (Chilean pepper)
lemon
butter
ajinomoto (for brine)
onions
tomato
palmetto
French bread
sliced ​​bread

Procedure:

MEAT

Beef Ribs: Cooking on the grill for 2:30 hours at 300°F
Beef brisket: Smoked for 6 hours. Use quebracho firewood and apple chips soaked
Chicken Feet: Smoked for 4:30 hours. Use quebracho firewood and apple chips soaked.

2014-07-06%2013.03.48.jpg

2014-07-06%2021.32.38.jpg

2014-07-06%2021.24.15.jpg

TAPAS

1. Slice the roast and french bread
2. Go to the sliced ​​bread toaster.
3. Chop 4 cloves of garlic and mix in 1/2 cup of olive oil. Put in the microwave for a minute, to dismiss

the garlic flavor in the oil.
4. Rub toasted bread with olive oil and garlic with a brush

Roquefort cream based spreads bread

Processing cream cheese, milk and roquefort to achieve a subtle roquefort cream. Adding black pepper.

Preparation: Very simple, a bit of everything on toast. That's what make tapas

2014-07-06%2021.41.00.jpg

2014-07-06%2021.41.09.jpg

The rest was placed in several dishes on the table. Everyone prepare your "tapa" as wanting. This dish has succeeded like few others. It has been very well received by my family

The Hot Pepper said:
TAPAS
  • Must be made from the BBQ protein.
  • Presented as tapas (small plate).
  • 3 tapas max (from same protein, respectively).

THP, you made the rules kinda strange on this one. I went by what I quoted above. You said 3 tapas from the same protein, so that's what I did...and I'm not the only one. 

I'm not going to fix it now. It is what it is.

If I'm DQ'd, it's ok. There are plenty of great entries, but you have to see how I could interpret the rules that way. 

Salsalady's Smoked Steelhead Stuff-

Smoked Steelhead Trout-

The Brine Stage-
5 pounds fish (trout, salmon, or other)
1 quart (about 1 L) cool water
1/3 cup sea salt or kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup
more maple syrup for basting

Cut the fish into 1/4-1/2 pound (100g-200g) pieces
Place in the brine and soak for 18-30 hours.  I did 2 bowls, one regular and 1 with 7 Pot powder
remove pieces from brine, pat dry with paper towels, place on wire racks and air dry in front of a fan or under a ceiling fan for 2-4 hours.

The Smoke Stage-
When the fish has a nice skin on it, get the smoker ready.  Very Low (about 100F is recommended, but I couldn't get the wood to stay lit at that temp with my smoker.  So I Jury-Rigged some briquettes and apple wood hunks and shreds.)  Keep the temp low for 2 hours, bring it up to 140F for the next 2 hours, and finish at about 175F for the last 2 hours. 

Using the additional maple syrup, baste the fish every hour or so.

Remove the fish from the smoker and let it rest for 2 hours.
IMG_2834.JPG

(at this point, I put it into the fridge overnight)

The Tapas!

Sourdough baguette cut on the bias about 1/4"-1/2" thick
butter and olive oil with minced garlic
herb marinated mozzarella
thin sliced shallots
fresh basil
grape tomatoes, cut in half
dried chile powder- sprinkle on a little as desired,  I used the 7 Pot Powder on a few of the pieces.  WOW!  Oh Yeah! 

Spread some butter/olive oil/garlic onto the sliced bread and lightly toast on a griddle or in a pan.  Set aside.
Smoosh up the marinated mozzarella with a fork and spread on the toasted bread.
Add some smoked fish and sliced shallots.
Lay out on a baking sheet and toast in the oven at 400F (convection or under the broiler is best).
Remove from oven and top with fresh basil chiffonade and sliced grape tomatoes.  Sprinkle with your favorite hot pepper powder as desired. 

IMG_2843.JPG

The Entrée-
Pasta Messina (don't known what that means, but it's what the dish was called in the restaurant... :lol: )

Angel hair pasta
shallots 1/4 cup
garlic 1 Tbsp
olive oil and butte-r 1/2 cup total
sherry or white wine- couple splashes ( some for the sauce, some for the chef  :lol: )
basil- about 10 fresh leaves, thinly sliced
smoked fish- 3/4 cup flaked pieces
red Fresno chile-1
7-Pot or other chile powder- to taste

Saute the shallots, garlic and chile in olive oil and butter until tender.  Add any other hot chile powder as desired.  I used some 7 Pot powder.  Fold in smoked fish flakes and fresh basil shreds (Be Gentle!  Don't moosh the snot out of it!)  Add a splash of white wine or sherry, and cover the bottom of the pan with cream.  Simmer just a bit and add a handful of cooked angel hair pasta.  Fold in gently. 

Plate up, top with a bit more smoked fish, FooFoo with a fresh basil sprig and tomato pieces. 

Enjoy!

BONUS PIC
IMG_2856.JPG

"Remember, we must see the BBQ presented as well. The BBQ is not just an ingredient for the tapas. I am assuming if you make pork butt you are making pulled pork... and with brisket... slices... etc. So present the best of your BBQ (competition style or as an entree), and get creative with the tapas."

Let me know if I didn't get the pics right.....

SHEESH!  What a variety of Q's!!!!!

Nice Job everyone!  I'll be licking the monitor tomorrow Fo'SHO!!!

Take # 2
Fcuk this computer. May laptop has had issues with battery but thought it could make it through.

Nope. Got the first dish entered and it blanked out and died with no warning. Gotta love it.  Anyhow here it goes for my first entry in the Throwdown. No way I can compete with everyone else's fancy pics but here is what I got from my phone.

Dish # 1
gtWV1ip.jpg

Beef Roast

Smoked 4 hours with Hickory wood. Thrown into fridge for 12 hours then sliced with the hand me down from the ghetto slicer from the 'rents.

Rub included

4 tbsp. black pepper
2 tbsp. sea salt
6 tbsp. cumin
2 tbsp. paprika
2 tbsp. Reaper  powder

Tapas:
Sliced  Beef
Baguette
Goat Cheese
Fig Jam
Basil
Roma Tomatoes
8LwRstV.jpg

Dish # 2
F3UldFI.jpg

Chicken Thighs and Chicken Andouille Sausage

Seasoned with

1 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. white pepper
2 tbsp. minced garlic
1/4 cup diced yellow onion
1/4 cup diced red onion

Smoked 2.5 hours with Apple wood.

Tapas:
Chopped then layered with split layers of Phylo, Spring Onions, Celery, Parmesian-Reggiano.

Topped with Homemade Carolina BBQ, and Blackberry, Banana, Bourbon Compote.

wSLx88r.jpg

Dish # 3
Khhgqh6.jpg

Pork Belly

Marinade in:
4 tbsp. Bourbon
4 tbsp. Mango Pepper Jelly
2 tbsp. toasted/ground Corriander
1 tbsp. Black Mustard seed
1 tbsp. Yellow Mustard seed
2 tbsp. Maple syrup
2 tbsp. Fatalii Powder

Smoked. 3 hours with Apple wood.

Tapas:
Chunked and placed on top of Texas Caviar.

Smoked 3.5 hours with Hickory wood on the start and Apple wood 2x over the next 2 hours once the smoke died off. Sliced then put in Phylo Dough, layered Chicken, Sausage, sauteed MOA and celery, onion.

Once finished topped with homemade Carolina BBQ, Blackberry and Banana Compote with Eva Williams Larceny Bourbon reduced as a Compote.
fRPKi9R.jpg

I vote for no DQ's. I read and re-read the rules a few times, and still didn't quite get it until after the discussion that followed the first plating post. I can fully understand why everyone would interpret them differently.  Besides, there were some FANTASTIC entries made by everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back