tutorial Beginner's guide to AACT/Compost Tea

FireEater101 said:
I have not used Coco wet and I have applied AACT three times so far this year as a foliar spray. I soak the leaves and whatever does not get absorbed will fall to the ground and hopefully picked up by the roots. I can honestly say I have never seen my chili pepper leaves so green and healthy so it seems to be working great without this product in my opinion.
Same here, no additive. fully soak the leaves and do the soil too at once.

, Vegas

I brewed a round for this evening, but I've decided to let it go another day because it rained earlier and I want to see what's like tomorrow ...

Can't decide whether to add some more molasses or not, though ...

I decided to just let it go in the name of science anyways, since this will be the first time I've let it go another 24 hours ...

That said, I thought I was aiming for beneficial bacteria in heading from the first to second day? ...

I plan on making teas this year, my 1st. Q is how will the summer heat affect it.  Here it can get close or over 100 for weeks on end, will that mess up the teas? My 2ed Q is how old must the compost be before I use it, my compost is only a few weeks old at this point. 

i'm having truly incredible improvements using an AACT-first method of feeding/caring for my plants this season.

null_zps40f7480f.jpg

i've added a composting system for future soil amendment ...

null_zpsf722314d.jpg

that said, i think there's room for adding a surfactant ...

null_zps013a6a92.jpg

i think i've got this ...

both last season and now this season again, the new growth after starting AACT is larger, darker, thicker, and more 'waxy' in appearance ...

null_zpscbc217d8.jpg

null_zps812824e8.jpg

null_zps58f069d9.jpg

everyone's happy ...

null_zpsc8b492a5.jpg

thanks to OP, guru, and cayennemist ...

What is the cost to make this tea?
Including everything needed?

I read the whole thing and will read it again before starting to  make it, but wanted to know the cost before I get pocket shock..HAHA

Great article by the way.

Hot Head said:

I read the whole thing and will read it again before starting to  make it, but wanted to know the cost before I get pocket shock..HAHA

5Gal bucket 4$
Dual line pump, hose, stones. 35$
Wormcastings 2cu bag 10$
Source of sugars 3$

Growning Monster plants without using nasty ecosystem killing, synthetics.....      Priceless.

P.S. Pumps last for years, so it acualy becomes the most economical solution in the long run.

Hot Head said:

I posted a thread about the cost I spent Hot Head. Hope it's helpful.

A good source of fungal/bacterial Inoculate is espoma brand starter plus organic fert, or jobes organic tomato food. They are both packed with fungal and bacterial strains, and are much less expensive than the various guano. One bag of either would last a whole season easy, provided you store the bags properly... (sealed and in a cool dry place)

Is there consensus on aact being used to "grow / multiply" myco?

Given that myco is quite expensive (and me cheap) - I would be interested in getting the best mileage out of a package.

IMHO watering with myco every couple of waterings should be very helpful for any plant.

Thoughts?

Cheers, Alfred

Cayennemist said:

5Gal bucket 4$
Dual line pump, hose, stones. 35$
Wormcastings 2cu bag 10$
Source of sugars 3$

Growning Monster plants without using nasty ecosystem killing, synthetics.....      Priceless.

P.S. Pumps last for years, so it acualy becomes the most economical solution in the long run.
I will be getting this to build for the weekend!!!
Thanks guys!!!
Just thought I would say also, as I type I am eating some awesome pork my chick  made and I have High River Sauces Rogue sauce on it..its amazing!!!  :dance:  :fireball:  :onfire:

Started my own tea today!

Some compost juice (strains), 1 handfull of vermicompost, 1 handfull of dried bamboo leaves, 1 handfull of dried nettle leaves.

Hope it works!

Well crap.  I got started on my first AACT yesterday.  I bubbled off the water for 1.5 hours prior to starting the tea.  Ingredients for my tea were compost (bagged), worm castings (bagged), garden soil from my raised beds, and fresh grass clippings.  I put all of those in a pair of trouser socks and suspended in the bucket.  To the water, I added 2 TBSP of molasses and 1 TSP of mycorrhizae.  I've been bubbling for ~18 hours now.  There is no foam forming, but I've been optimistic as people have said that isn't necessarily an indicator of microbial activity.

Now here's the crap part.  I just had a look at the latest water quality report for my city (should have done this beforehand, I know), and instead of chlorine, we use chloramine.  So the bubbling for 1.5  hours prior was pretty much pointless.

So I have two questions.  Is it pointless for me to continue on with this brew, or should I just go ahead and try to use it?  Second, what's the best way to get rid of the chloramine?

My plants have not been looking very good.  I've been going completely organic and using drip irrigation to water them (the water source is straight from the tap).  Now I'm thinking that I'm just killing the microbes in the soil, which is why my plants aren't getting nourished.

I had plans to install a rain barrel and pump for next year, but I may have to move those plans up much sooner.

Let it go a little bit longer, another 12-24 hours.  The Chloramine will not kill ALL of the microbes and what live could multiply and sort of evolve to not be damaged so much from your tap water.  Rain barrel is a good idea for you but dont give up on what ya got.  I bubble tap water for a day before I start adding my ingredients just to be a little safer.

millworkman said:
Let it go a little bit longer, another 12-24 hours.  The Chloramine will not kill ALL of the microbes and what live could multiply and sort of evolve to not be damaged so much from your tap water.  Rain barrel is a good idea for you but dont give up on what ya got.  I bubble tap water for a day before I start adding my ingredients just to be a little safer.

So should I add more molasses, and/or inoculant to give it a better chance of succeeding?

Back