tutorial Beginner's guide to AACT/Compost Tea

Hey peeps,

I'd like to make a very small batch of tea - like maybe 1.5 liters. How much molasses would you use for such a small batch?

Hrm.. That's about what I put in with no luck I figured it was too much for such a small batch.

I used - unsulfured molasses, homemade worm castings , distilled water, and great white mycorrhizal / bacteria

No action after 40 hrs. I don't have any other fancy stuff to put in. Temp range was 60-75f.

Oi! Seems like everything I've read says foam is the indicator that good things are happening. Why is everyone waiting for the foam then?

One other thing I should note before I go and start over is that I didn't realize that the airstone was a separate thing. So I just have a pump and a tube with a marble tied on to weigh it down. Thing bubbles like a mofo in the little 2L jar I'm brewing in so I figured it was enough for now.

Foam means nothing. Try brewing some without the Great White and see if there is a difference but as I said foam is NOT an indicator of microbial population.

Without the powdered myco? How does that make sense? That stuff is choke-full of good guys.

AaronRiot said:
Without the powdered myco? How does that make sense? That stuff is choke-full of good guys.
I meant just to see if you did get foam without it. Some added ingredients will kill the foam but it doesn't matter because foam is only a reaction to the carbohydrates being aerated in the mix.
Personally I would use worm castings, molasses and water only and add any other ingredients after it's brewed.

Foam is a good indicator that it is working, but not concrete evidence.

Try adding grass clippings... I bet it foams like Cujo

Foam is a byproduct of rapid microbial growth, but isn't always going to happen.

Proud Marine Dad said:
I don't believe that is true my friend. It is caused by the presence of carbohydrates. If I were not at work I would look it up for you. ;)

Well after 20 minutes of research devoted to proving you wrong...

I have found that you are correct.

Research keyword Sapotins.

If anything, it is a sign that you have good carbohydrates for your microbes to snack on. However not all carbs have foam causing sapotins.

Jesse

Tell me you're not using Adagio tea tins to store your compost tea ingredients? :fireball: LOL, I treasure my tins, and would empty a bottle of pickles out before I resorted to that.  Great thread, just refreshing my memory while I gather my air stones etc., for this year.

Cindi

Back