• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

tutorial Beginner's guide to AACT/Compost Tea

ColdSmoke said:
I've heard it can be harmful...does diluting it with water eliminate that risk? What is the reward?
It is not good as a foliar spray an can be hot if not watered down. Its still food for the soil food web. I have done this for 2 years and I don't see any issues. In fact I feel it makes more buds show up but I have no proof.

Dumb question: Can you use commercial compost for tea? Obviously, home made would be better, but that all got distributed around the garden this year and the new stuff isn't ready yet.

a8c34848-20ea-4fde-aaeb-304bcba9a6ea_400.jpg

Specifically what I am asking is if anyone has noticed worse performing teas when using bagged compost vs. the fresh stuff.

Jeff H said:
Dumb question: Can you use commercial compost for tea? Obviously, home made would be better, but that all got distributed around the garden this year and the new stuff isn't ready yet.

a8c34848-20ea-4fde-aaeb-304bcba9a6ea_400.jpg

Specifically what I am asking is if anyone has noticed worse performing teas when using bagged compost vs. the fresh stuff.
That all depends on whether it has active bacteria in it or not. Being bagged for who knows how long I doubt it has a lot going going for it. Give it a try and see. :)

PMD is right you never know what those bags have been through... sitting in the sun somewhere like Arizona for weeks on end. Could be sterile, hard to say.
I'm willing to bet its OK, but I am just pointing out the possibilities.

"If you want something done right, you have to do it your self."

What can you get as far as a store bought product that will have the necessary bacteria to make the tea; other than worm castings? It looks like the OP tried to post a link of products, but it's not working.

ColdSmoke said:
What can you get as far as a store bought product that will have the necessary bacteria to make the tea; other than worm castings? It looks like the OP tried to post a link of products, but it's not working.
I use Fox Farm Bushdoctor Microbe Brew, it's not cheap -- $27 a quart.  Essentially I take a cap full of it and turn it into 5 gallons worth with the tea though

http://foxfarmfertilizer.com/index.php/item/bush-doctor-microbe-brew.html

What I got is what I go with :D Sometimes it's prime, sometimes it's el-bag-a-rino.

There are ways of bumping up commercial products if you have the time/space, oatmeal/molasses/garden soil go a long way in reinvigorating the fungi/microbes in castings/compost.

That being said, there are usually local resources for cheap/free compost if you scour around.

miguelovic said:
What I got is what I go with :D Sometimes it's prime, sometimes it's el-bag-a-rino.

There are ways of bumping up commercial products if you have the time/space, oatmeal/molasses/garden soil go a long way in reinvigorating the fungi/microbes in castings/compost.

That being said, there are usually local resources for cheap/free compost if you scour around.

Here in San Diego we have free compost and mulch year round at the "greenery"

Some of my best protozoal aact has been grass clippings after mowing, barley wort from a brew, and rain water. Nothing store bought. All locally sourced and free :)
ColdSmoke said:

Proud Marine Dad said:
I am going to research some of the other things people in the know are brewing for plants such as stinging nettle and dandelion.
Many so-called, "weeds" have some very good substances in them for plant health.

I'm surprised you haven't thrown any of that comfrey in your tea yet. I figured that was what you were going to do with it.

Jeff H said:

I'm surprised you haven't thrown any of that comfrey in your tea yet. I figured that was what you were going to do with it.
In due time they are still young and the guy I bought them from doesn't recommend much cutting on the plants the first year to establish a strong root system. Most people just cut leaves and lay them on the soil next to the plant as Comfrey can be used as compost immediately.
I bought them to throw into the compost bin mainly.

I did that today! I'm only use a single leaf as an activator though. As PMD mentioned, roots take priority.

PMD I bet you got them from the same place I did ey? Coes Comfrey? Nice guy but kind of odd, sent me all these crazy political dvds.

Comfrey is incredibly strong. I'm actually surprised they survived the trip to Japan.

filmost said:
I did that today! I'm only use a single leaf as an activator though. As PMD mentioned, roots take priority.

PMD I bet you got them from the same place I did ey? Coes Comfrey? Nice guy but kind of odd, sent me all these crazy political dvds.

Comfrey is incredibly strong. I'm actually surprised they survived the trip to Japan.

I think we all got it from Coe, and yes, he is a little odd. Nice enough, but odd nonetheless. I posted his DVDs in my glog back when I got them.

13 of the 15 have sprouted so far. Should make good tea and compost starter.

Back