beer Being Crafty

Hammered a couple back while doing some TD biz.

This one is below average. Nothing to really complain or rave about. The hops are almost non present both in flavor and aroma. It is too sweet for it's style, and the beer was almost flat.

Decent milk stout. The aftertaste was a bit stale, but that kind of made me drink it faster, since it's good for the first 10 seconds of each drink. I could only drink one or at the most two of these 8n one sitting, due to the sweetness. I guess that is inherent in most milk stouts anyway, so not a major issue.

Next one is my first carbed beer from a batch of Graff I brewed in September. It's definitely a malty cider, not a cidery beer. The one ounce of bittering hops I used in this 7 gallon batch are barely noticeable, but I think adds a bit of balance to the residual sugar left by the Wyeast 1056. It is a tart beverage. In hindsight I would use lighter crystal malts to keep the SRM lower, and preserve more of the raw fresh pressed cider's original color.

This one is great! Extremely piney, but low bitterness. Very earthy aroma. Reminds me of a New Mexican micro brew that first got me into IPAs 15 or so years ago. I would definitely buy this again.

Looked up revolutions black IPA jukebox hero. Sounds pretty decent though consumer rating was around 86. 

https://revbrew.com/beer/detail/juke-box-hero

DoubleCanStack-Jukebox-Hero_5.png

Another decent beer from Pipeworks, kind of similar to lizard king, predominantly melonish, grapefruit citrus taste, smooth and creamy. Better head and lacing than lizard  king. Has what I can best describe as a peach and grapefruit (fruit cocktail) smell to it. 

8sqs0p1.jpg

U1niLYP.jpg

"Ninja vs. Unicorn celebrates the epic battle between two of the biggest hop-heads of lore. Brewed with over five pounds of hops per barrel, this unfiltered double IPA is sure to please the most discerning hop lover. Whether you’re rooting for the mythical horned horse or the deadly assassin of the east, we hope you’ll enjoy Ninja vs. Unicorn."

ABV: 9.0%
Malts: 2-row, munich, special roast, white wheat, acidulated malt
Hops:  CTZ, centennial, falconner's flight, zythos, cascade, chinook, falconner's 7Cs, simcoe
Adjuncts: dextrose

Pipeworks smoked chipotle porter

chipotle-smoked-porter.jpg

I'm going  to go with a big negative. The warmth of the  peppers is there but it's too smokey. Like really really smokey. Be good to cook with or something. Maybe dump in a crock pot with a roast.

ABV: 7.0%
Malts: 2-row, white wheat, munich, flakedd wheat, flaked oats, cherrywood smoked, rauch, chocolate, extra special, caramel 80, roast barley, midnight wheat
Hops: warrior, willamette
Adjuncts: Chipotle chilis

Grass Snake said:

Have you had Atole? nothing to do with beer haha guess you can drop some rum off in it, thats crafty

My Aunt just dropped me of a big pot, kinda new to me..
I have had atole. It's good stuff. If you like that, you might want to try chicha de jora. It's a corn beer. It's actually pretty decent when brewed well.

I just poured an imperial braggot I brewed back in March. The hop aroma has faded significantly, but is still very present. I used 7 ounces of hops on the dry hop. Citra, mandarina bavaria, mosaic, and galaxy hops. The primary bittering hop was citra as well. The honey flavor is still there, but the overall flavor is now much more malty. The aroma from the honey is still there though. The fermentables were 65% orange blossom honey, and 35% malted grains. 2 row, honey malt, and crystal 20l were the grains I used. Damn fine beverage though.

To celebrate the official end of my gardening season, I'm brewing a NE IPA tonight. 2-row, crystal 10l, flaked oats, flaked wheat, torrified wheat, and white wheat malts. Azacca, equinox, target, and columbus hops. I'll be doing two seperate hop charges during fermentation, instead of dry hopping. I'm using WLP 005 to ferment all this delciousness.

Back