beer Being Crafty

Grass Snake said:
What do you guys think about cellaring beer? Alot of people do it but I hear many say it's a waste of good beer. Any real benifits to cellaring or does it just satisfy our hoarding instincts? 
Dont do it thinking it will get better. If a beer is hot and boozy it may calm down a little bit. But anything that has adjuncts in it (vanilla, cinnamon, coffee, etc) are only going to get worse.

If you want to save a KBS or BCS from each year and compare them sure its fun. But when most breweries bottle a beer they believe its the best at that moment. If they thought another six months in the barrel would taste better they would do that, assuming they dont need to bottle and get their money soon.

Ozzy2001 said:
Dont do it thinking it will get better. If a beer is hot and boozy it may calm down a little bit. But anything that has adjuncts in it (vanilla, cinnamon, coffee, etc) are only going to get worse.

If you want to save a KBS or BCS from each year and compare them sure its fun. But when most breweries bottle a beer they believe its the best at that moment. If they thought another six months in the barrel would taste better they would do that, assuming they dont need to bottle and get their money soon.

Generally if they think cellaring will improve they will bottle with a wax seal.   Caps have a potential to allow some oxygen through over extended periods. 

IMG_5940.JPG

"SENSEI" lol

Damn, TGCM! This is fantastic!
For 11%, the booze is hidden very well

:beer:

Ashen said:

Generally if they think cellaring will improve they will bottle with a wax seal.   Caps have a potential to allow some oxygen through over extended periods. 
Some of them just do it because its popular and looks cool. But yeah wax helps.

I will say though that sours will definitely change. Wether it will be good or bad is not known. They will usually get more sour if O2 does make it through the cap too.

FreeportBum said:
Glad they made it my friend. Sip on that nuclear whim slowly as it will never be made again. :) It's freaking delicious, but I guess they can't get hops from South Africa anymore due to InBev buying them all. I could have bought 6-4 packs but only snagged 2. I said F#%! Right when I cracked the first can,I would have taken all 6...haha Cheers
Niiiice! I plan on sipping on that one this upcoming Wednesday with some beef dinos on the smoker.

Back