• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

grocery Best brand of Hot Dogs?

Casper's were at Costco once, that I know of. They were good. I have a Casper's baseball hat here somewhere I got at an estate sale. Several people have stopped to talk with me about Casper's when I'm where it. I didn't know they had hotdog stands. Learned a lot that way.

Husker21 said:
We switched to Hummel this Summer. We get the skinless ones. It's the one dog everyone in the house likes.

I also like Sabretts and Boars Head.
I like the snap of hotdogs with skins, kids dont really like them, Too bad that Hummel isnt more popular outside of CT. I also like Red Hots. Have you ever been to Super Duper Weenie's? I have been seeing and reading more about them lately.
Split and grilled 

2008630SuperDuperWeenie_zps04e7d931.jpg

LUCKYDOG said:
I like the snap of hotdogs with skins, kids dont really like them, Too bad that Hummel isnt more popular outside of CT. I also like Red Hots. Have you ever been to Super Duper Weenie's? I have been seeing and reading more about them lately.
Split and grilled 

2008630SuperDuperWeenie_zps04e7d931.jpg

I have had a SDW.  Real good.  We have a split and charred place in my town.  Decent place, they have fallen off in recent years.

I also like the snap of the casing.  Kids ruin everything... well my wife too.  She doesn't like the casing.  

Same with Blackies in WTBY - Used to go A LOT in the 90's I lived about a mile away in Cheshire at the time. I have heard they have been just okay - My kids are older now and dont care anymore as long as food is going in the pie hole

LUCKYDOG said:
Same with Blackies in WTBY - Used to go A LOT in the 90's I lived about a mile away in Cheshire at the time. I have heard they have been just okay - My kids are older now and dont care anymore as long as food is going in the pie hole

Cheshire ... my dad went to prep school there I bet, well, if that's where Cheshire Academy is, anyways ...

Sad news. i did some digging and it seems pilgrim went out of busy biz in 09. Sad for all 20 of us that ate them :rofl:

No one has ever even heard of pilgrim?  Ive mentioned them a hand full of times and i dont even get a nod. Must be a ganster pimp upstate NY kinda thang.

Orekoc said:
THP, all three places are a 30 min. drive or so from me, no problem checking them out.

Check them out and post back! Seems like at least one should have their own smokehouse and a decent frank.

Orekoc said:
Never thought there was that much difference in hot dogs.

Really? Ever had the awful hot dog burps? That doesn't happen with good dogs. Avoid anything "mechanically separated," that is the sludge of bone and all the different bi-products. As the USDA describes it "paste-like and batter-like," ewww.  Usually it's chicken or turkey but they use it as filler in beef and pork dogs. And avoid bi-products. Look for prime cuts instead of choice cuts. And avoid high sodium levels. Salt covers up bad taste! Then you have a sodium bomb as well as bad burps. I also don't like a garlicky dog or fake smoke flavor.

That's for taste. For health, try the Applegate Great Organic Beef Dog. Yeah, it tastes good too. :)

texas blues said:
I don't eat hot dogs but mrs. blues is hardcore.

She is a whore for Hebrew Nats and nothin' else.

She slices them up and fries them in a pan and tosses 'em into her mac n' scheeze.

I am a hot dog with mac guy too, but it is more on the lines of a once a year nostalgic  crappy food binge   ..  It has to be Schneiders Red Hots  and boxed  Kraft Dinner.  slice the dogs up and boil them with the noodles then add the powdered packet sauce.   The smoke flavour from dogs gets into the blazing toxic yellow sauce.  It is crazy how crappy things you ate as a kid can make you happy sometimes. 

Ashen said:

I am a hot dog with mac guy too, but it is more on the lines of a once a year nostalgic  crappy food binge   ..  It has to be Schneiders Red Hots  and boxed  Kraft Dinner.  slice the dogs up and boil them with the noodles then add the powdered packet sauce.   The smoke flavour from dogs gets into the blazing toxic yellow sauce.  It is crazy how crappy things you ate as a kid can make you happy sometimes. 

mrs. blues is in bed but she'd LIKE this post x1000!.

Ashen said:

Great Zeus, they messed up the Kraft's Mac and Cheese. I don't know what they did to it, but it isn't as good as it used to be. I think it is due to getting the trans fat out of things. Oreos were ruined to. I don't eat this stuff cause it is health food dammit! Leave it alone! :fire:

Hmm, maybe not a hot dog sausage.. but a nice Frankfurter (pork) or Bockwurst (veal and pork) in a real skin, smoked over beech.. 

I prefer Bockwurst from "Die Rostocker"  or "Boklünder".. but I doubt you can source those in the US.

Edit: moral of the story, found ones with mixed meat that are actually smoked (instead of liquid smoke crap).

bumping a old thread to hear what kind of dogs people think are tasty. yesterday i went to eat a hot dog that my daughter had bought a package of. one bite and i threw it out. it was Hummel brothers brand. then my daughter told me she cooked a couple up and thought they smelled strange and tossed them without taking a bite. it didn't taste bad it just tasted strange. we have never bought this brand before. my wife usually buys Nathans which are ok. i used to like Sabretts a lot but not all stores carry that brand. anybody have a brand preference for decent hot dogs?

Back