• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

grocery Best brand of Hot Dogs?

tMQhJTb.jpg
luvmesump3pp3rz said:
anybody have a brand preference for decent hot dogs?

You live in New England & you've never heard of Ball Park Brand? I prefer Angus!

beef-franks-05830.png

We used to go to Duchess in Fairfield & get the "WORKS" dog..yes,we had fries with that. :cool: Love the bits of bacon.
LMSP  may be familiar with that name?Since we moved away,H National is our go to..works style a la casa.

The wurst. (pun intended). I don't like the fake smoke flavor of those hot dogs. They taste like big lil smokies.

which HDs are you referencing..the Duchess or HN?

The Hot Pepper said:
The wurst. (pun intended). I don't like the fake smoke flavor of those hot dogs. They taste like big lil smokies.

Hebrew National they taste of liquid smoke and hide it in the "natural flavor" part of the ingredients. You can taste it.

wiriwiri said:
beef-franks-05830.png

We used to go to Duchess in Fairfield & get the "WORKS" dog..yes,we had fries with that. :cool: Love the bits of bacon.
LMSP  may be familiar with that name?Since we moved away,H National is our go to..works style a la casa.
lots of people like this brand and i`ve had them but it was so long ago that i don`t recall it i liked them. we`ve been buying the nathans and i`m on the hunt for something better tasting.  :cheers:

wiriwiri said:
beef-franks-05830.png

i have a Duchess here in my city and they make a good dog. its been there for as long as i can remember. 

Zweigle's were always great.  I grew up in Rochester, NY .... I believe they're local.

I really like the oscar Meyers all natural Angus, but they are a little pricey. And some people don't like that orange grease they have in them. My buddy says Bar S is the best, lol, and really they are pretty good, for just a regular cheap hot dog

Walchit said:
I really like the oscar Meyers all natural Angus, but they are a little pricey. And some people don't like that orange grease they have in them. My buddy says Bar S is the best, lol, and really they are pretty good, for just a regular cheap hot dog
Bar S .... right on!  Forgot about those.  

Many many years ago at a pool party the guy ordered Omaha Steaks and it was the best I ever had and everyone at the party thought it was so funny I kept raving about the hot dogs. Not sure how that holds up now. I'm sure they are full of crap, I know that company is all about gifting, where people care more about the "coolness" of gifting meat, than the quality. 

Omaha steaks all beef are good. The ingredient list is very good. The sodium though is really high. Just 2 on buns/fixins would easily exceed the recommended daily intake. I could eat a whole Kiolbassa meats polish sausage for that kinda sodium level with room to spare. Most hotdogs and sausages are not even remotely low but you dont need that kinda sodium level either for a damn hotdog.

Ingredients: BEEF, WATER, SEA SALT, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF HONEY, VINEGAR, SPICES, VEGETABLE POWDER (CELERY POWDER, SEA SALT), PAPRIKA, NATURAL FLAVORING. STUFFED IN SHEEP CASING
2320.gif

I think i will look for these next time i go shopping. Its about the same as the Applegate
all-natural-beef-franks-89611.png

Back