vendor Best Business Practices... BakersPeppers... $ 5,000 Facts... No Drama... Admins... No Trolls in this

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have remained patient for nearly two years involving a business loan of $ 5,000  that has not be repaid in part or whole from BakersPeppers in late March 2012

Here are the facts, and email timeline history.  I have contacted Dale, He has responded, first making excuses, then a promise to pay 1000$ of the loan by December 15, 2013.  It is now December 20th, and I sent a polite reminder to him last week.  It was not responded to.

The time line starts early in 2011.  At the time Dale had recently posted a video or two of a large number of healthy super hot peppers in his nursery.  I made contact, long story short, I provided Dale a certified bank pepper loan of $ 5,000 top help him expand his business. 

What follows below is a summary of emails over the next 20 months to the present.  I will let the emails tell the story, word for word. First see the certified check made out to and cashed by him in March 2012.  I want to add that this was a no interest loan, you can't do better than that from any bank.

Before I get to the email history, I just wanted to mention that if Mr Bakers were strapped for cash, how could he take his spouse and two kids on vacation recently for two weeks ?  At best it would seem a poor business decision on his part.

Everything I stated here is true.  I have original emails with IP and Domain name trace if needed.

As you you can see, Mr Bakers has made excuses and a promise for partial payment of $ 1,000 on 12/15/13 which has not been kept.

I have been more than fair and patient in this matter.  The next step is up to you...  A man is only as good as his word, in the end nothing else matters.

Admins, please do not let this thread spin out of control, no flamers who cannot back their claims with times, dates and facts.

This is not about character assassination, it is about good business practice.

Thanks...

Rhody...

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************
3/25/12
[SIZE=10pt]David,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]    I really appreciate this my friend...really! You have no idea how much it means to me that u will do this for me! Like i said..it will take quite some time to get it back to you but it WILL get back to you over time :)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Dale E. Baker Jr[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]3408 Colwell Ave[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Tampa, Fl 33614[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]I dont have a home phone as these days its more cost effective to have an unlmited data/calls/texts plan on my cell phone....[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]
          [SIZE=10pt]******************************************************************************************************************************************************[/SIZE]       [SIZE=10pt]8/13/12[/SIZE] [SIZE=10pt]Hey Dave...as I stated to u at the time u did loan me the $5k I told u I
had no clue when I could even begin to repay you...and you werequite ok
with that at the time....I now am in a huge crisis with the USPS &UPS!
They owe me over $2k in insurance claims and i may not get it! But i had
to refund that money to my customers....plus now my father is leaving
me! He backing it up and calling it quits! I can't run the place myself
and having to hire help when my bank account is in the negative is going
to be hard to do...the summer has SLOWED my crop speed WAY down to a
crawl! I am lowering prices to compete with others and I barely have any
inventory as it is due to the slow summers high heat...I told you that i
would get you the $$ back ASAP...could be a while I said...I remember
trying to be very clear I had no clue when i could start getting you
some back to you....and right now is not a good time at all....I hate to
say that...honestly I do...as u truly were there for me when i needed
it...I'm sorry my pepper biz is starting so slow...trust me...I need $$
very bad myself...I can't even pay this months electric bill...first
time that's happened here my dad says in 45 years....Im struggling
myself....and i don't know what to say.....I'm sorry Dave...I hoped u
wouldn't "need' it anytime soon like I tried to tell you at the time...I
feel horrible....[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]dale@bakerspeppers.com[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]************************************************************************************[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Dale Jr[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]************************************************************************************

11/11/13[/SIZE]

I have been patient and as my next to last email to you states, I am simply requesting you repay the business loan I made to you on 3/36/2012. I put my hard earned money on you to help you succeed when you needed more equipment for your pepper business. It has been almost a year and a half since you cashed the check.  Not once have you contacted me by phone, text or email to settle this matter.  I have contacted you at least three times to try to negotiate payment and every time you have had excuses. The next step is up to you.

I hope you are a man of your word, because a man's reputation is like gold in the niche hot pepper business.

Sincerely,

Dave Williams

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************

11/11/13

[SIZE=10pt]Hey Dave....[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I wanted to say i have not been ducking u at all. I have been real busy working on peppers and having another child at the same time. I told u i have every intention of paying u back in full! December 15th i will send u a check for $1,000....its a start...i can make a payment every now and then but all at once just isnt realistic as i never have that type of $$ all at once....hope this helps...let me know :) [/SIZE]

Dale,

11/16/13

Dale,

That is a start, please send a bank check with the note section as follows:  payment $ 1,000 pepper business loan, balance due of $ 4,000, this will serve as our receipt.

Thanks...

******************************************************************************************************************************************************

11/16/13

Dale,

That is a start, please send a bank check with the note section as follows:  payment $ 1,000 pepper business loan, balance due of $ 4,000, this will serve as our receipt.

Thanks...

******************************************************************************************************************************************************

12/11/13

Dale,

Just a reminder you said above that you agreed to sending a bank check $ 1,000 (post marked ) by Dec 15th.   I hope you are a man of your word.

***************************************************************************************************************

To all,

Let's keep this thread civil, if Bakers pays off the debt I will remove the thread right away.  I dont see how I can be more fair than that.  It would be good for his business reputation.  He knows that.

Please note:  I have updated the second 11/11/13 post above where Dale agreed to pay me $ 1,000 by 12/15/13.  I failed to post it in the original post.

I just got a PM from Dale and checked my bank account online.  You are correct Dale, the check did clear.

I am not dragging your name through the mud, you are good on making 20% payment (interest free, what a deal for you).

I think it is reasonable to ask in 4 or 5 months for the next payment, and until all $ 5,000 is paid back you are not free and clear.

I will close this thread when you are paid in full and for the record the history of your making good on my loan will be a matter or record.

I will ask at that time that this thread be removed and say that you are a man of your word, and deserve a second chance.

As the history at the beginning of this thread clearly shows I should not have had to take the steps that I did in extending my good will to you.

That was your choice.

Rhody...

Yes, inquiring minds want to know...

wow, just simply wow. i am glad i came to this site and read everything about all the vendors selling seeds, pods, ect.... before i made a big mistake!
and just so ya know, i have quit my job, sold my business, sold everything i own, and gave every last drop of it to my father for his cancer treatments, and i am so poor the dirt is richer then i am, but i can guarantee you if anybody ever lent me money, id pay them back 100% ,maybe not in full, but id go out and get them there money any legal way i could, because a man/woman is only as good as their word. rhody i am sorry you are going through this, wish you the best of luck, and hope its paid and done soon.

edit: i am not looking for sympathy or anything like that, i am simply trying to say no matter how hard my life gets, and how poor i may be. i keep my word and pay back my debts, as should any good man of his word. if i can do it in my situation, you sure as hell should be able to especially since you seem to be making the big bucks with your "stolen" peppers and pepper business

I am here to report that Dale is not following through with his promises, in fact he is trying to blackmail me (see emails below).  Dale, you have no leg to stand on, you have admitted that the $ 5000 was a loan and have made $1000 in repayment already. 

No more screwing around, I want the other $ 4000 and I will be done with you for good, I can't be bothered taking your abuse for the next 18 months trying to weasel your way out of repayment.  Your choice, the "man-up way" or the "hard way", which means by collection agency or court.

Dale,

I have been patient with you in regards to this loan.  I have never encouraged the behavior of the members on TheHotPepper.com, they form their own opinions based on what they see, all I did was make the problem that I have been having with you public like many others have in the vendor reviews there.  I have no control over the content on that forum. 

Now you are making demands of me and I really don’t appreciate your conduct.  Not only is it disrespectful to someone who graciously helped you start your business, but it could be seen as blackmail.  I have kept all of our communications, in which you have admitted to owing me this debt. 

If this were to go to a court of law, I would not be responsible for your expenses, on the contrary I would ask the judge that my legal fees be covered by you.  My other option is to send this debt to a collection agency.  I would like to keep this out of the courts and collection agencies for your sake.  Please pay me what you owe me so that we can put this past us like adults.  I expect to receive the payment you promised in the early half of July as stated previously.

Thanks for you time...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dales response....

I told you that you wil get NOTHING until these public spectacles are GONE...VANISHED....NEVER EXISTED...you want your $$??...make them GONE! You want to continue to play games, leave them there...this is my LAST email to you Dave....your $$ depends on YOU! Send me the address you want the payment sent to and DELETE ALL THE THREADS ONLINE.......ater that i will mail you the 2 checks...PERIOD...not open to negotiations....ive let you ride with this long enough......no longer! I as well have saved EVERY email i have EVER sent you..i will GLADLY post this online for ALL to see that all i asked was u make the public shit go away...and u REFUSE.....it will then be YOUR fault i didnt mail u $$!!

Dale Jr

i would like to say that everything i have said and everything i have done is of my own free will and i was NOT influenced by rhody to say or do anything. 
i read dale baker jr posts and seen the things he has said and my actions were influenced by dale baker jr, 
rhody in no way has influenced anything i have said, this thread has not influenced me either, the ONLY thing that has influenced me is reading dales posts and seeing his conduct here on "the hot pepper forums"  there is no shortage of dale baker jr's obscene, rude behavior and nasty comments towards other members, it is almost to the point where you can not read a thread with out dale baker jr making an ass of himself. 

Honestly can't believe that threads like this are allowed, nor that the "alleged" debtor would answer the claims publicly. This is fucked up all the way around.

Where are all of the grown ups on this forum?

Wow. I counted about 50 periods in Dale's response. I think he's serious. 
     Speaking of serious……………………….. Dale, it is very obvious to every one here except you that you brought this (like so much other drama) upon yourself. Trying to force Rhody to erase posts in a vain attempt to censor public opinion and whitewash your name is childish and laughable. You are a joke. You are in over your head. Grow up, become a man and pay your (interest free) loans back. I don't understand why this is so difficult for you. 

+1 dash2

alleged  (of an incident or a person) said, without proof, to have taken place or to have a specified illegal or undesirable quality.

there is plenty of proof that this is not alleged, and both parties especially the debtor admits to owing the "then $5,000" now $4,000. 
i could say so many bad things about the debtor but i will let all of his posts and actions speak for themselves. 

Rhody said:

I am here to report that Dale is not following through with his promises, in fact he is trying to blackmail me (see emails below).  Dale, you have no leg to stand on, you have admitted that the $ 5000 was a loan and have made $1000 in repayment already. 

No more screwing around, I want the other $ 4000 and I will be done with you for good, I can't be bothered taking your abuse for the next 18 months trying to weasel your way out of repayment.  Your choice, the "man-up way" or the "hard way", which means by collection agency or court.

Dale,

I have been patient with you in regards to this loan.  I have never encouraged the behavior of the members on TheHotPepper.com, they form their own opinions based on what they see, all I did was make the problem that I have been having with you public like many others have in the vendor reviews there.  I have no control over the content on that forum. 

Now you are making demands of me and I really don’t appreciate your conduct.  Not only is it disrespectful to someone who graciously helped you start your business, but it could be seen as blackmail.  I have kept all of our communications, in which you have admitted to owing me this debt. 

If this were to go to a court of law, I would not be responsible for your expenses, on the contrary I would ask the judge that my legal fees be covered by you.  My other option is to send this debt to a collection agency.  I would like to keep this out of the courts and collection agencies for your sake.  Please pay me what you owe me so that we can put this past us like adults.  I expect to receive the payment you promised in the early half of July as stated previously.

Thanks for you time...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dales response....

I told you that you wil get NOTHING until these public spectacles are GONE...VANISHED....NEVER EXISTED...you want your $$??...make them GONE! You want to continue to play games, leave them there...this is my LAST email to you Dave....your $$ depends on YOU! Send me the address you want the payment sent to and DELETE ALL THE THREADS ONLINE.......ater that i will mail you the 2 checks...PERIOD...not open to negotiations....ive let you ride with this long enough......no longer! I as well have saved EVERY email i have EVER sent you..i will GLADLY post this online for ALL to see that all i asked was u make the public shit go away...and u REFUSE.....it will then be YOUR fault i didnt mail u $$!!

Dale Jr

So in other words, he's got it in his head somehow that you're pulling the strings of everybody asking him to pay his debt to you? And he blackmailing you into removing all the posts, threads, etc., before he sends the money? Why, I wonder? Does it somehow contradict his own view of himself or that he's trying to portray on Facebook and Twitter, where he at least has control of, and in fact does delete/remove, comments critical of him? And it seems like he's trying to suppress this because it would cause some inconvenient things about him & his business to come out... If I may, Rhody, I would strongly suggest going to court on this matter, since you've been exceedingly kind and generous to him, but have only received empty promises and threats like this to try and blackmail you to fit some random conspiracy theory he has stuck in his head that you're behind all this, which you're not. All you want is your money back...

magicpepper said:
i would like to say that everything i have said and everything i have done is of my own free will and i was NOT influenced by rhody to say or do anything. 
i read dale baker jr posts and seen the things he has said and my actions were influenced by dale baker jr, 
rhody in no way has influenced anything i have said, this thread has not influenced me either, the ONLY thing that has influenced me is reading dales posts and seeing his conduct here on "the hot pepper forums"  there is no shortage of dale baker jr's obscene, rude behavior and nasty comments towards other members, it is almost to the point where you can not read a thread with out dale baker jr making an ass of himself. 

Same here. At no point did Rhody ever contact me even once to do anything like this. I said what I said, and did what I did, to hold Dale to the standard of common decency, to repay his debts, to treat his customers with the kindness and respect they deserve, because they're spending their hard-earned money on these things, and shouldn't be seen as mere dollar signs by someone like Dale that can only be exploited, treated with disdain, spoken to with belligerence, accused of lying, despite pictures they provide him, and having Dale try to force them into paying more money just to receive what they paid for in the first place, especially when he claims "always free shipping". Why advertise "always free shipping" when he expects customers to cover shipping for replacements....

dash 2 said:
     Speaking of serious……………………….. Dale, it is very obvious to every one here except you that you brought this (like so much other drama) upon yourself. Trying to force Rhody to erase posts in a vain attempt to censor public opinion and whitewash your name is childish and laughable. You are a joke. You are in over your head. Grow up, become a man and pay your (interest free) loans back. I don't understand why this is so difficult for you. 

Agreed Dash. Dale only paid the initial $1,000 amount when Rhody brought it up back in December, which as Rhody stated, was nearly two years after Dale received the loan, in a feeble attempt to appease everyone at the time. I can't think of a single bank that would be even close to that generous. They would've taken Dale's ass to claims court within 6 months, or sent him to a collections agency. Dale also makes repeated claims about selling such a large volume of peppers/powders, etc, at obscene prices (twice what others charge in some cases), yet can't be bothered to pay back the loan, 2.5 years later, that got him started in the business, and I seem to recall someone doing the math that Dale could've repaid the loan many times over by now at the prices he's got on his website & volume he's repeatedly claimed. And unlike on Facebook, where Dale can delete & remove comments critical of him, here on THP, he can't do so, meaning anyone who comes on here can see for themselves how Dale acts towards customers, fellow pepper growers, and so on. Accusing customers of lying, attempting to blackmail a lender to do something he has no control over before repayment of a loan, insisting customers pay for replacements, and attacking other growers whose only "crime" is selling products at lower prices than Dale (Judy, sicman, etc.), bait and switch tactics, selling moldy/rotting pods and demanding people pay for shipping for the replacement box, nakedly obvious attempts to get attention and hoodwink money out of people (think "chocolate reaper"), and he list goes on, is very unbecoming of a vendor on here, or anywhere and in any business for that matter.

magicpepper said:
+1 dash2

alleged  (of an incident or a person) said, without proof, to have taken place or to have a specified illegal or undesirable quality.

there is plenty of proof that this is not alleged, and both parties especially the debtor admits to owing the "then $5,000" now $4,000. 
i could say so many bad things about the debtor but i will let all of his posts and actions speak for themselves. 

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back