• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Best herbs to add to garden?

Hello all,

I've been absent from the forum but still plodding along with a few peppers. This year I am getting a raised bed in a community garden and am very excited to be growing 4-5 types of peppers. I wanted to add a few herbs to the garden as a barrier between my peppers and legumes (I've read mixed messages on whether they should be planted next to each other). I know I want oregano, probably some cilantro, maybe a basil. I would really like a rosemary plant, but from what I've seen, they go crazy and take up a lot more room than I'd want them to. Can a rosemary be kept controlled with regular trimming? Are there any other herbs that I'm not thinking of that might make a good addition?

Thanks!

I think your autocorrect did something there @Tinkerbelle. I mean, no-one puts baked beans on pizza, right? (Honestly, never heard of baked bean pizza.)

Also, team oregano here, when it comes to pizza.

And as for herbs in the garden, have a go at papalo and pipiche. My partner hates papalo with a passion, I would kill for it. We make a lovely, but dangerous couple.
Screenshot_20221120-215852~2.png

Mad Dogs and Englishmen. 😉

my Herb list most years

Chives
parsley
rosemary
globe basil
sweet basil large leaf
Golden (lemon thyme)
sage
Greek oregano
Sweet marjoram
Rhubarb (technically a herb apparently)

I want to add dill and lavender this year.

So y'all never heard of Cilantro tasting like soap to some people? Rata was more accurate with her description of Papalo having hints of mint and that's what I think I was tasting and described it as soap. There is mint soap I'm sure
Weirdly, the very first time I ate cilantro, it tasted overwhelmingly of soap! And yet, I've never tasted soap in cilantro again. I have never heard of anyone else who has both tasted and not tasted the soap in cilantro. I feel for those who taste the soap, because that's AWFUL.

Taste buds work in mysterious ways. Tasting soap could be a survival trait humans have. I can see cilantro overwhelming the taste receptors for the first time, sending warning signals to the brain saying "no stop poison soap!" Then you try it again then it's like "ok false alarm, actually pretty good stuff." At this point you can then start to enjoy the complexity of Cilantro. Just a half ass theory of mine haha

Taste buds work in mysterious ways. Tasting soap could be a survival trait humans have. I can see cilantro overwhelming the taste receptors for the first time, sending warning signals to the brain saying "no stop poison soap!" Then you try it again then it's like "ok false alarm, actually pretty good stuff." At this point you can then start to enjoy the complexity of Cilantro. Just a half ass theory of mine haha
It's actually been traced to a gene. Only some people experience this.

Back