Best Iron Skillet for Smoking?

Txclosetgrower said:
George foreman would be better non-stick IMO lol, it doesn't get hot enough.

And are you talking about ones that are completely flat? Or the ones that are pretty much flat but oval shaped like the fajita pans? Fajita pan = comal btw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comal_(cookware)

200px-Comal2.jpg

Or are you talking bout the rectangular griddles?
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Original-Finish-Grid-Griddle/dp/B00004S9I0
41G7Y2Q1V6L._SS400_.jpg
I mean the one's that's completely FLAT TX, I'm looking to do scrambled eggs on it too.

PhatManDerek said:
I mean the one's that's completely FLAT TX, I'm looking to do scrambled eggs on it too.

Rectangular one is flat on the bottom too.

I scramble eggs in my skillet lol. It's like a swiss army pan, thing has 1000 uses.

You may want one for sweet, one for savory. Remember, these pans retain flavor.

What? No love for the dutch? AJ..or somebody edumacate the people on the virtues of not only a good 12" skillet but the awesome power of the dutch oven! The skillet has a 1,000 uses but the dutch has endless uses.....and TCG...even does tomato sauce...

Cheers, TB.

:fart: :throws blanket over TB's head:

texas blues said:
What? No love for the dutch? AJ..or somebody edumacate the people on the virtues of not only a good 12" skillet but the awesome power of the dutch oven! The skillet has a 1,000 uses but the dutch has endless uses.....and TCG...even does tomato sauce...

Cheers, TB.
Hey TB, Nice to see you here too mate and thanks for the link to this awesome site. By the way Alton Brown loves a Dutch Oven!

thehotpepper.com said:
You may want one for sweet, one for savory. Remember, these pans retain flavor.
Yes, I was actually thinking the samething.

thehotpepper.com said:
:fart: :throws blanket over TB's head:
Haha that's too funny!

texas blues said:

Cheers, TB.

Yeah i forgot to mention it but i do want one really bad.

And i thought cast iron would cause discoloration in tomato sauce?

Dutch ovens are the cats meow...I use mine for a lot of things but making biscuits on red hot coals is the best IMO...

out at hunting camp in Ranger, we have an old black wash pot (cast iron) that will hold probably 35-40 gallons...we use a boat wench to raise and lower it over the fire...and I think we have made the best chili in it ever...every May, we have a party out there with probably 80 people and there is a lot of cooking going on and plenty of pickin' and grinnin' AND cold beers....

I love myu cast iron pan I think its a Lodge -- I have 2 one that is 12" and a 8" I use the 12 a lot !! I am going to by another pan with the griddle marks on the bottom for psuedo grill on the stove top/ oven. I love my dutch oven (my wife doesnt ;))j/k I make chili and stews and my wife made a Black forest cake on the campfire once in it.

I love myu cast iron pan I think its a Lodge -- I have 2 one that is 12" and a 8" I use the 12 a lot !! I am going to by another pan with the griddle marks on the bottom for psuedo grill on the stove top/ oven. I love my dutch oven (my wife doesnt ;))j/k I make chili and stews and my wife made a Black forest cake on the campfire once in it.

I wasn't aware you could cook in a dutch oven. Eat loads of peppers and beans right before bed and have breakfast waiting for you when you wake up in the morning.

peter pepper said:
For real you can make apple pie in a cast iron skillet??

Hells yes!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/b.-smith/b-smiths-skillet-apple-pie-recipe/index.html

Ingredients
Filling:

* 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 3 Golden Delicious apples, plus 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, sliced thin and tossed with 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon cornstarch
* 2 tablespoons flour

Topping:

* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/4 cup, plus 1 tablespoon sugar
* 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 cup unsalted butter, chilled
* 2/3 cup half and half
* 3/4 teaspoon vanilla

Directions

To prepare filling; melt butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat, add apple slices and cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes. Mix sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg salt and cornstarch in a bowl and gently stir mixture into apples. Continue to cook until apples are soft but not mushy, about 5 minutes.

To prepare topping; mix together flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Using 2 knives or a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the milk and vanilla, and quickly blend together with spatula.

To assemble the pie; drop heaping tablespoons of biscuit mixture on top of apples, covering most of the center of the mixture. Sprinkle top with remaining sugar and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until top is golden. Remove pie from oven and let stand for at least 5 minutes before serving.

best pineapple upside cake ever is made in a cast iron skillet too...wish I still had my grandmothers recipe and cast iron skillet....

ok I dont know why I never really bought any cast iron skillets or other cookware, maybe cuz I was never grown up around them :shocked: I know!! slap my parents!! :lol: & maybe always thought it took more time to cook the meals cuz of its thickness.

now I'm coming around to real taste, I love my steel wok I've had for a couple years. & tommorrow I'm buying me a cast iron skillet a 12" or 10" unless if they are soldout at the time.

I know how to season & how to clean them. with the wok I only seasoned the inside, is this the same way for skillets just the inside. only ask cuz THP mentioned his griddle is messing & seasoned on both sides, or reason being you use both sides ?

I also will be collecting cast iron cookware this year, they'll last alot longer than other cookware.

chilehunter said:
ok I dont know why I never really bought any cast iron skillets or other cookware, maybe cuz I was never grown up around them :shocked: I know!! slap my parents!! :lol: & maybe always thought it took more time to cook the meals cuz of its thickness.

now I'm coming around to real taste, I love my steel wok I've had for a couple years. & tommorrow I'm buying me a cast iron skillet a 12" or 10" unless if they are soldout at the time.

I know how to season & how to clean them. with the wok I only seasoned the inside, is this the same way for skillets just the inside. only ask cuz THP mentioned his griddle is messing & seasoned on both sides, or reason being you use both sides ?

I also will be collecting cast iron cookware this year, they'll last alot longer than other cookware.
Amen brotha!

I've had stuff in cast iron skillet before and it was really really well done and freaking tasty!

texas blues said:
And what did I do to deserve that? No matter...an excellent impersonation of my ex wife!

Cheers, TB.
Haha. That's also a Dutch Oven if you didn''t know.

Back