• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Bhut, Butch, Fatalli, Peach Bhut, Brain, Fresno, Jalapeno, Habanero, GARLIC Ferment !!!!!

This is gonna be TASTY !!!!

About 25% garlic by weight. I tasted it on a chip, and it is certainly HOT !!!!

Gonna ferment it for as long as I can stand to wait.

I wish I had procured enough peppers to fill the gallon jar, but I will just make another batch!

Airlock on top, plastic disc cut to fit that keeps the mash submerged, and the glass to hold the plastic disc down.

I used a little juice from homemade lactofermeted sauerkraut to jump-start it :)

paste.jpg

Just a quick update, it's only been 3 days but there is more "juice" on top than what I started with. The clear plastic disk that you cannot see is keeping all the mash firmly pressed beneath the liquid (NO liquid was added). I also notice that the green flecks from the Jalapenos are gone. It smells AWESOME... I can tell cuz I have a tiny "peep-hole" in the top with a hepa filer in it :)
I can smell it if I put a nostil right up to it! LOL

No idea how long I will ferment it!

Thinking of starting a ferment of one full gallon of 100% habanero this weekend!

Day ONE
paste.jpg

Today (day THREE)
MASH080712.jpg

Hey Bill :)

I was hoping you would chime in!

I am getting about 20 pounds of fresh orange habs on Tuesday, so I will be making 4 more gallons of mash! :dance:

I'll keep you all posted!

* With a longer ferment do you find a mellower heat - more flavor or sharper heat LESS flavor?

KAT

I think I may combine fresh orange habs, and garlic and top off this existing gallon.

In the grand scheme it won't matter.... the week old stuff will just jump-start the new ingredients :)

Waiting is going to be SOOO hard!

WOW... overnight the liquid level rose about an INCH !!!

There are lots of small bubble "pockets" in the mash, that look dry. I think all the liquid is rising to the top.

Smells AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gonna be SO hard to wait!!! I wanna taste it now!

This weekend I start a smoked batch with ROASTED garlic :)
IMG_20120809_222039.jpg

Hey Katrina, that stuff looks awesome!!!

I've got one question, what did you make the plastic disc out of? I've got to find something to use in a quart size mason jar.

Hey Katrina, that stuff looks awesome!!!

I've got one question, what did you make the plastic disc out of? I've got to find something to use in a quart size mason jar.

I had some old cheap tupperware type food storage containers that I knew I would never use. I cut the disc out of the lid of one of those.

Like this ----------> http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-pYvVyGpitPA/TbzSVkCjL-I/AAAAAAAAABo/sFXDjzrUwME/s1600/Gladware.jpg

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I'm getting ready to start up a batch of Suave Habs to use as a seasoning sauce for family members that can't take the HEAT of real peppers.

Hey Bill :)

I was hoping you would chime in!

I am getting about 20 pounds of fresh orange habs on Tuesday, so I will be making 4 more gallons of mash! :dance:

I'll keep you all posted!

* With a longer ferment do you find a mellower heat - more flavor or sharper heat LESS flavor?

KAT

I think I may combine fresh orange habs, and garlic and top off this existing gallon.

In the grand scheme it won't matter.... the week old stuff will just jump-start the new ingredients :)

Waiting is going to be SOOO hard!

Hi Kat,
My usual run on a fermentation is 45 to 90 days with the amount of sugar in the mix being the determining factor and they come out at Ph 3.4 plus or minus .2. I also ferment all or most all of the ingredients that are gong into the sauce. What I mean by most all is for instance my Jamaica Me Hot Sauce. It ferments for 90 days because there are alot of sugars in it and I hold out the pineapple so that it gets a small degree of sweetness. Fermented are Golden Raisins, Sweet Potato, Sweet Onion, Ginger and Fresh Lime Juice all which add alot of sugar. When the sauce is done and bottled you can taste the fruits and if you have a really good pallet cah even pick out the individual flavors.

Now, longer fermentations, say longer than 90 days, will not affect your heat however they will add to the flavor. Mellowing the sharp tones and allowing the flavors to blend and get really happy together. I have even thought about getting some small wooden barrels that were used for small batch liquor or such and aging them in there for a period.

Looking forward to your updates.

Hi Rockitman,
I've thought about using the oak barrels too untill I looked into the price..
I make a little wine here and there what I do is get some white oak and either put in the oven or use my propane torch to char it really well and just drop it in with my must and let it work it's wonder...
So I thought if it works there it will work here...
Seems to work really good and a lot cheeper...
Maybe some others here could chim in if they use this with their expericnces..

Great looking mash Katrina

Hi Littlejoenc and welcome to the THP.

That thought crossed my mind the last time I was in the brew store and saw the wood cubes. I think you r right about it working it's wonder here too.

RM

WOW... feels like a lot longer than 14 days have passed! * I want to eat it NOW !!!

My ferment has done some interesting things! One day there will be like 2 inches of liquid on the top, then the next day there will be NONE !

Right now there is no liquid on top BUT the jar have NEVER been opened since I put the mash in! I am hoping the C02 environment will prevent any mold... so far so good.
IMG_20120818_143023.jpg

From the very first week I have had MANY air pockets in the mash, and I try to shake it down, jostle it, bounce it off the counter..... they don't move much!

IMG_20120818_142826.jpg

That is a thing of beauty right there! Kat your doing good. Best thing to do is just find a dark spot where it stays a constant temp between 80 and 95 and forge-da-bout-it, Then when you find it again 3 or 4 months now you be all super happy and excited.

But, that never works with me so I just enjoy the wonderful smells that come off of it as the gas leaks out.

Have a great week,

RM

EDIT: STOP WHERE YOU ARE!
PLACE THE JAR ON THE COUNTER AND STEP AWAY!
Whew, that was a close one. Don't open the jar!

:)

That is a thing of beauty right there! Kat your doing good. Best thing to do is just find a dark spot where it stays a constant temp between 80 and 95 and forge-da-bout-it, Then when you find it again 3 or 4 months now you be all super happy and excited.

But, that never works with me so I just enjoy the wonderful smells that come off of it as the gas leaks out.

Have a great week,

RM

EDIT: STOP WHERE YOU ARE!
PLACE THE JAR ON THE COUNTER AND STEP AWAY!
Whew, that was a close one. Don't open the jar!

:)

It is INSIDE of a box, on a dark shelf in a dark cool (75 F) corner of my basement! :)
You tell me when you crack it open and I will !!

That's a little cool. Lacto like it in the 80 to 95 range idealy and towards the warmer side is where they do their best work. Leavign it there won't be a problem but it may take longer for them to do their business.

Ok, deal.

Back