• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

fermenting Bhut, Butch, Fatalli, Peach Bhut, Brain, Fresno, Jalapeno, Habanero, GARLIC Ferment !!!!!

This is gonna be TASTY !!!!

About 25% garlic by weight. I tasted it on a chip, and it is certainly HOT !!!!

Gonna ferment it for as long as I can stand to wait.

I wish I had procured enough peppers to fill the gallon jar, but I will just make another batch!

Airlock on top, plastic disc cut to fit that keeps the mash submerged, and the glass to hold the plastic disc down.

I used a little juice from homemade lactofermeted sauerkraut to jump-start it :)

paste.jpg

Temperature is certainly a factor in spoilage.
I ferment my sauces all over the place depending what the season is :)

Right now in the HOT summer my basement is good, but in the winter I need to move to a warmer upstairs cabinet.

Here is a shot of it today. The liquid disappears at lower temp, but when I bring it upstairs and it gets warmer,.. the liquid is back.

paste3.jpg

Kat's right, the heat mat isn't needed at 80. If you had it in your basement at 65 it would be a different matter. Only question I would have is whether or not you placed it in a bowl or plastic tub in case it gets over excited and pushes out some of the liquid. Wouldn't want to see you having to deal with a bunch of juice running down the side of the fridge.

can you post a full shot of the vessel with the air lock on......thanks

No airlock, just a triple layer of milk filter material used for the filtering of milk when milking cows.
Then i Forced the lid on, and popped a pin hole in it.... after a few weeks of good bubbling I put a piece of duct tape over the pin hole.

The REALLY slow c02 seep still manages to escape but with the positive pressure from the gas releasing 02 cannot enter :)

Kat's right,..... in case it gets over excited and pushes out some of the liquid. Wouldn't want to see you having to deal with a bunch of juice running down .....

Wait, WHAT? ;)

3 weeks in... a LOT of head space, but no sign of mold!
Jar has NEVER been open and I jostle the air bubbles out every few days... can smell it if I put my nose up to the pin hole and jiggle it :) VERY NICE SMELLING !!
mash2.jpg

mash1.jpg

Can I PLEASE process it now!!!! :)

The bubbling has stopped and what has been looking like thick oatmeal, has now gone to marinara consistency. Still no liquid on top, and it's at about 84 degrees.

Still NEVER been opened so no mold at all! :)

If I any of you would be "fermenters" take anything from this... once you seal it up LEAVE IT CLOSED!!

I see a lot of ferment threads where the person makes comments about the taste and smell. That is begging for trouble with mold and other nasties.
mash3.jpg

Can I PLEASE process it now!!!! :)

The bubbling has stopped and what has been looking like thick oatmeal, has now gone to marinara consistency. Still no liquid on top, and it's at about 84 degrees.

Still NEVER been opened so no mold at all! :)

If I any of you would be "fermenters" take anything from this... once you seal it up LEAVE IT CLOSED!!

I see a lot of ferment threads where the person makes comments about the taste and smell. That is begging for trouble with mold and other nasties.
mash3.jpg

I usually go 45 days minimum but if there is no activity going on you should be good. Do you have a way of checking the Ph? You want it to be 4.0 or lower.

So based on the above you have my permission to process the sauce and send me a bottle. :)

WOO HOOOO ..........
All I have are PH strips, but I will do all I can to make SURE it's below 4!

I will likely wait til this weekend.

I plan on "foodmilling" it to remove the seeds, and make it smoooooth. Then a hit of citrus, simmer, BLEND!!!! and bottle!

I'll send you a bottle unless it sucks :)

Thanks

KAT

Hi Katrina, I did a big natural lacto fermented hot pepper sauce that turned out really good great taste although it was a bit salty and because I had added some wine and sealed the jars the sauce was a bit fizzy, but was loaded with flavor and wasn't killer hot even though it was 60% pure golden Habs and 20 % Brown Congo peppers I used a small amount of whey from yogurt to start the ferment then just before I bottled it all up I added a small amount of honey and a bit of homemade elderberry wine. Once bottled I let it set for about 6 months. the best testing sauce I ever tasted.
I capped the bottles which were sterilized beer bottles so they developed a small amount of pressure hence the fizziness which was ok with me, but a friend of mine that I had given three bottles of the sauce, didn't lissen to me about keeping it refrigerated. Anyway the bottles got warn and fermented more and then settled out, so what did he do but shake it real hard and popped the cap off needless to say the walls, floor and his face was covered in hot sauce, lucky thing he did not get it in he's eyes, but some went up his nose. Now days he's very careful about how he opens a bottle. Sorry I didn't mean to hijack your post but i love naturally fermented foods, great stuff if you have stomach problems.
George W.

Back