• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bhut Jolokia Growth

Does anyone know if the Bhut Jolokia is a slow grower compared to other chinense varieties? I have 3 seedlings that seem to be growing slower than all my other varieties.

I have Bhuts growing alongside scotch bonnets (indoors) and they have been growing at the same pace. All plants were started at the same time and are within an inch or two of each other. I will say that the scotch bonnet plants do seem to be more developed, and were the first to produce flower pods though.

I started a Bhut last January, grown entirely indoors, using Flourescent and windowed sunlight. It's pods are just now turning from green to orange/red. Unfortunately, because of the lack of real (outdoor)light, it's not as hot as the real deal(Thanks Patrick), but it's still worthwhile.

Mine grew at the same pace as my other C.Chinese plants but it was the last to produce pods and also has been the slowest to ripen. Another side to this is my Bhuts are 4-5 ft tall while all others are less that 3 ft tall.

Agree with rds, slow to ripen, not slow to grow. Good size plants, but mine are in 7 gal and 5 gal pots and all are under 4ft from bottom of pot. Great chinense IMO. The absolute best flavor of anything I've ever grown and some gorgeous huge pods. A "must grow"!

Here is a pic for comparison
All three of these emerged within days of each other, and have all received identical treatment

From left to right: Chocolate Hab, Caribbean Red, Bhut Jolokia

IMG_1335.jpg

I find they grow very quickly for me but not quite as fast as nagas which are the fastest and most productive plants I've ever grown.

Back