• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bhut Jolokia, Trinidad Scorpion, Naga Morich, Douglah questions...

Are these grown any differently to other peppers, fellas?

I planted a BJ in July and it's still only 12" tall and our grow season is grinding to a halt..!

Do these varieties require a different grow regimen? More sun? Less water? Lots of Nitrogen??

I have some wonderful bushes, but it seems that growing the superhots is beyond my abilities:oops:

Any sensible suggestions are welcomed!! ;)

I am sure all those plants have subtle differences in how they can optimally be grown but I had no problems growing them together in the same conditions.

The douglahs are always finicky for me, but I think its just a case of my seeds not being all that stable, yet

RichardK said:
I treat my Bih Jolokia like any normal C. Chinense, it's producing right now too

Perhaps my method is wrong...How are you doing it?

Josh said:
I am sure all those plants have subtle differences in how they can optimally be grown but I had no problems growing them together in the same conditions.

Good to know, Josh - Lots of sun or less than other plants?

Skydiver said:
Have you tested your soil for pH/nutrients?
Could you post some pics?

No test done, and I'll take pics in the morning as it's a little dark now...

POTAWIE said:
The douglahs are always finicky for me, but I think its just a case of my seeds not being all that stable, yet

I got mine from Cappy as did many of you, so I'm sure the seeds are viable, but I planted six and only one made it to puberty and then promptly died on me. I think I hurried the 'Sun Intro Phase' too much, to be honest...

I say give them as much sun as you can, and the usual make sure they get enough of what they want, in addition to Magnesium and Calcium. Keep the pH around 6.5-6.8, keep an eye out for nutrient related problems and and correct as soon as possible and if you do all that you should have no problem.

If your season wasnt ending I'd suggest pinching off all flower buds and I mean all (even the tiny ones) to get the plant moving up and out more. Then when it's a decent size, stop pinching and let it explode with flowers.

At NMSU's CPI website, they talk about the challenge of germinating and growing and producing Bhut Jolokia pods, and I've had the same difficulty with the7Pot and TS. Their flower drop is driving me batty. It's common to have these problems. You've had a great season, be proud. Over winter the Bhuts,etc and hopefully you'll have better luck with it next year.

Hey, thanks guys!

I'm quite happy with my first season, but we still have six weeks of good weather, so I was hoping to try and correct my errors, at least with the BJ.

Meantime, I think I'll do a general 'pod check' in the veg patch - that always cheers me up! Lol!

huntsman said:
I got mine from Cappy as did many of you, so I'm sure the seeds are viable, but I planted six and only one made it to puberty and then promptly died on me. I think I hurried the 'Sun Intro Phase' too much, to be honest...

I'm not saying that they aren't viable, they should germinate just fine but I've just found them a little slow and finicky and this is the third year they've grown this way for me. I'm pretty sure all the Douglah seeds around here were originally sourced from Trinihottie although Cappy, Cmpman, Quebecfire, myself, and others have given out a lot of seed over the last few years.
Also remember, hardening off is a very important step which is often overlooked

huntsman said:
Good to know, Josh - Lots of sun or less than other plants?

They received full sun all day up until the end of the season. Towards the end of the season, say the last 5 weeks, they got some intermittent shade from a tree and the neighbors house. This was due to the change in the position of the sun.

The thing about the Jolokia, is they have a much longer growing season than many peppers (I've heard some say 100-120 days), so your plants may tend to just grow and grow and then start dropping flowers like crazy, then, about 2 or 3 weeks before the frost, the pods start to take hold and they just go crazy. That's what mine did when I grew a BJ last year. Of course I accidentally cheated on mine... I inadvertantly dumped some cloning powder in the Jolokia's planter while taking clones, and didn't notice it till after I noticed the water I was pouring on the plant start to kick up some dust from the little pile of powder. But on a side note, the plant exploded and became easily three times as large as the next largest pepper plant in the garden, which was kind of cheating too because the 2nd largest plant was actually 4 serranos planted together in the same planter so it looked huge, but it was because of the number of plants involved.

I've always grown all my super-hots in full sun with great success. I even move plants around during the day when possible to give them as much light as possible. Personally my biggest/best producing plant ever was a naga morich

Potawie thank you for the kind works that really took me by surprise. Don't know why your Bhut Jolokia is only a foot tall huntsman, many others have raved especially about how nice that plant is. Maybe get an earlier start next year, I have started seeds late and they missed the best springtime sun and they had to grow in the heat of the summer and struggled. Bhuts are difficult plants to grow but no where as slow as the Douglah, I have some seedlings in a cell tray for over a month now and they are just creeping along. Huntsman are you trying to grow the Douglah, and did I send that to you? The reason I ask is I did not share many packs from my last year Douglah because of exactly what Derek describes above, very finicky. I completely gave up on last seasons Douglah seed stock and started completely fresh this year with Billyboy Douglah seeds. The most exciting new pepper in my garden is a hybrid Brown 7 Pod "Douglah" from Sara that is not blocky but elongated in shape, has a smaller plant size and is very good producer of smokin' hot chocolate pods. I have 72 of these started so updates and seed coming later this year.

Good info coming through, here -

PFR, I got some Douglah from Cappy fairly late in the season, and made the mistake of rushing it, greedy as I was for a result. Bummer....

My BJ was a gift from Patrick, which I did hold back until I was a little more experienced (this was my first grow season) and I think you hit the nail on the head with regard to starting earlier....I was way late by the time I had tweaked my lights, growmix etc. Thanks! Hey, those chocs sound great!

OK, they seem to do well in partial or full sun, so I'll hang in there. I must say, the bush looks in good condition, so perhaps this is all a normal process...

May I take it then that Scorpions and the other superhots are grown in the same way?

I would say so Paul, i grow my super hots mostly in the dirt in a spot that gets about 75% sun during the day. They are also side by side (a little too close).

I'll get a pic for ya...

011-2.jpg

Growing in there are Douglahs, Barrackpore, Dorset Naga, Yellow 7-Pod, Unidentified Naga, Bonda Ma Jacque and Tabasco. Oh and a mully :D They all seem to love the soil in there.
Only amended with bonfires during the winter for the charcoal, a few dead "things" and some cow poo. I only ever foliage feed them now.

huntsman said:
My BJ was a gift from Patrick, which I did hold back until I was a little more experienced

That was nice of him ;)

How tall are your plants Nova, it's hard to tell from the photo?

Huntsman, here in Melbourne I'll have another 2 to 3 months to harvest. I know you are a much higher altitude but you are further North, how long do you expect your season to go?

SeeYouJimmy said:
That was nice of him ;)

How tall are your plants Nova, it's hard to tell from the photo?

Huntsman, here in Melbourne I'll have another 2 to 3 months to harvest. I know you are a much higher altitude but you are further North, how long do you expect your season to go?

1.2 meters is the tallest one in the right middle of the pic, it's the Bonda Ma Jacque.

Back