• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Bhut Jolokia?

BhutJolokia.jpg

BhutJolokia003.jpg

Duane, how did you get my pics to come up? I've tried to copy and paste from photobucket to no avail!

Anyway, these are the peppers my next door neighbor got from the Hindu temple that were said to have come from India. They will turn red and some of them reach about three inches in length. My neighbor says she does not use fertilizer at all. They are very hot! Are these Bhut Jolokia or perhaps Dorset Naga? Thanks again to Duane for helping with my photos.

kauaidundee, make sure you are copying the direct link and not any others, and images should work find for you.
b89tad.jpg

Direct link, as seen here.

To get the seeds from these peppers shoud I let the peppers turn red and dry out for a while or can I extract them while they are still orange?

Look like bhuts to me, definantly not dorsets. Can take them off or leave them on, sme may turn red after being picked. If left on they will get sweeter.

To get the seeds from these peppers shoud I let the peppers turn red and dry out for a while or can I extract them while they are still orange?

Nice pods you got there kauaidundee.

The pods change from orange to red in like 2 days or so.
Leave them on the plant until they are red and then you can pick them up and save the seeds.

I'm gonna say something really basic but its just that I can't figure out if you understand it from the question you asked...
You need to dry out the seeds not the peppers. :P

Bleash

If they came from India it most likely will be a Bhut. Dorset and Morich we're developed in the UK. There has been an ongoing debate as to the authenticity of these types. If they're really hot then I will try to grow them and that's where I stand!!

BTW, they look really HOT!!

You lucky dog!

If they came from India it most likely will be a Bhut. Dorset and Morich we're developed in the UK. There has been an ongoing debate as to the authenticity of these types. If they're really hot then I will try to grow them and that's where I stand!!

BTW, they look really HOT!!

You lucky dog!

"Developed" is not really correct, and the Morich does not come from the UK but from India. The Dorset was only grown for 2 or 3 years in the UK, and is still just a naga morich.
Nagas and bhuts were simply grown in different regions and selectively bred by different farmers, which is why they are now somewhat different but also very similar

You don't have to let the seeds dry if you are going to plant them now. Let the pods stay red and on the bush a bit longer to increase the maturity of seeds.

Back