• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Big mistake.

13:10:00 Snap some pics of a few pods with the idea of doing a flavor comparison.
PodShots7-11-10.jpg

Left to right, top row: Brain Strain, Chocolate Hab, Yellow 7, Dorset Naga.
Left to right, bottom row: Douglah, Jamaican Hot Chocolate, Scorpion, Fatalii

13:15:00 Argue with myself about which to try first and the Brain Strain wins.
13:17:00 Slice a Brain Strain in half and take a pic.
BrainStrain-1.jpg

13:20:00 Popped the first half, chewed twice and decided WTH and added the second half.
13:20:10 Started to concentrate on the flavor, mild, habbish, slightly sweet.....
13:20:11 Lost all interest in flavor as the heat starts to build quickly.
13:20:12 Swallowed.
13:20:14 Swallowed again.
13:20:18 Got the hiccoughs.
13:20:20 HOLY SH!T FIRE AND SAVE MATHCES!!!!
13:20:30 Held breath and washed the small bits down with a swig of iced tea.
13:20:40 Big mistake, now the whole inside of the front of my mouth and tongue are flaming, but at least the hiccoughs are gone.
13:20:50 My chest starts to radiate a warm feeling and my stomach starts to glow with a dim heat.
13:21:00 Nose is running and I'm breathing fire, my tongue feels like I licked a red hot iron.
13:21:20 Eyes start to tear and lips are burning a little, but nothing like the hellfire inside my mouth.
13:22:00 Trying to keep my mouth closed as this seems to lessen the heat.
13:23:00 Doesn't work since my nose is running so profusely and obstructing air flow, must breath through my mouth.
13:23:30 My moustache is as soggy as a wet mop.
13:24:00 Start pacing the floor and wondering what in the world possessed me to do this.
13:25:00 I feel like a fire breathing dragon, but my eyes have stopped tearing.
13:26:00 The back of my mouth and throat have had no heat at all through this, but the front is still raging with a vengeance.
13:28:00 The heat in my mouth starts to lessen a little bit, but my stomach feels like I swallowed a lead bowling ball.
13:30:00 Definitely starting to ease off a bit, but still very hot.
13:40:00 It has eased down to a mild heat and I start to feel like I may survive this self induced torture.
13:45:00 Drink a beer and burp a fireball, lead bowling ball is still hanging around.
14:00:00 Back to normal and stomach feels fine.
14:10:00 Swear to never eat another one of these dangerous muthas alone again.
14:12:10 Resolve to dry and powder all Brain Strains in the future and mix with something tamer like Nagas.
15:30:00 Start to feel some cramping in my gut as it begins to move through my intestines.
15:31:00 Begin worring about tomorrow's morning dump.
15:33:00 Called sister in town and asked her to pick up some ice cream.
16:38:00 Cramping is starting to worsen and this pepper says you haven't heard the last from me.

Well Cappy, I survived I think, but I'll not be chomping another as one is enough to last a lifetime. :mouthonfire:

That is my same reaction and why I cannot eat these peppers raw. I was getting kind of tired of lazienfat and gaby munching my brain strain and making it look easy, think they just got lucky with early season pods. I do hope you feel better soon SS, hope the stomach cramps aren't too bad tonight. If it makes you feel any better I know how you feel, but dehydrating doesn't help much as the powder is still way too hot. Try using in sauces or sending them to your friends to make videos with. :rofl:

Beautiful pics and congrats on eating a whole 7 Pod, only once here. :D

Awesome pods on here. You happen to have any pods you could trade or sell? Im trying to start my videos for all to watch. I will credit those that contribute the peppers in the videos. I havent tried some of the carious super hots. Just a few of the Bhuts, and various habaneros, and 2 7 Pods. Im eager to see if I can take it near as good as Ive seen some of you.

Sterling

I've got a spare Brain Strain and Douglah I could send ya. (EVIL LAUGH!!!)

Send me a PM with necessary NFO and it's on the way tomorrow morn. :)

Thanks SS!! I was waiting eagerly for mine to grow and produce so I could try one of these monsters, but now I'm waiting "nervously"!! I've seen cappy's description and a couple of others and was thinking "sh!t, this is gunna kill me!" then I saw Gaby's vid and thought "well... at least SOMEONE can do this and smile, so it might not be so bad". But now I've read you're review as well, I'm back in the nervous region again! But still can't wait!!

Thanks for sharing mate, can't wait to see the rest of you're reviews/comparisons.

Jas

Great looking peppers and photos SS. Where is the video?! Cant wait to see what you think of the douglah, that looks like a mean one. We probably were lucky with some early season pods but none the less it was one hot pepper.

That's a whole lot of typing, vid is worth a million words. Damn glad you folks are telling me don't do this at home. You got cajones SS and dang nice looking pods

Cheese-n-rice man. This is a story you don't wanna read before going to bed. :eek:
I was right there with ya (in a sense), gratefully not experiencing first hand.
NOTE TO SELF: Self, (If) you ever try brain strain have family and close friends near. Priest if pod came from S_S's garden.

Almost forgot:For reasons not clear,I really dig looking at ripe peppers..GREAT PICS.

I tried the brain strain and marouga blend the other day. Both are some mean bastards and way above the bhut IMO, but the marouga blend is the one that lit up my tongue and took about 10 sec to say WHOA!, while the brain strain hit the back of the throat worse and was an instant heat. In fact pretty much everything you said about the brain strain was what I felt and thought about the marouga blend. Don't get me wrong, the brain is evil, hot as hell, and the intensity and duration of the 2 were about the same. Definately not meant for fresh eating, either of them.

jacob

SS,

I hope you have not given up on your idea of doing a flavor comparison. Substituting Scotch Bonnet TFM and Chocolate Bhut with the Scorpion and the Naga, These are all the ones I was planning to hydro grow next season. I still have never seen anyone really rank or compare their flavor (even if the flavor only lasts a few seconds). I may have to move the Brain Strain to the garden and replace it with a Devil’s Tongue or a Burkina… something I can really use 20-30 pods from. Thanks and I hope it all works out in the end. (Sorry, had to say it)

Beaglestorm

Thanks for sharing your experience S. It must have been a hectic ride. I know that warm feeling in the gut all too well LOL. Hope you also share your experience with the Douglah. I hear it's hugely hot :)

pretty cool.

I'm definitely interested as to how the Jamaican Hot Chocolate compares with a standard Choc Hab.

Also, I'm never eating a Brain Strain raw. You guys are all bat sh-- crazy.

Thanks SS!! I was waiting eagerly for mine to grow and produce so I could try one of these monsters, but now I'm waiting "nervously"!! I've seen cappy's description and a couple of others and was thinking "sh!t, this is gunna kill me!" then I saw Gaby's vid and thought "well... at least SOMEONE can do this and smile, so it might not be so bad". But now I've read you're review as well, I'm back in the nervous region again! But still can't wait!!

Thanks for sharing mate, can't wait to see the rest of you're reviews/comparisons.

Jas
These pods were on plants that stayed on the stress boarderline, lighter green leaves, only watered once or twice per week depending on the rainfall, so they wilted a few times per week and were neglected as much as possible (yeah, I'm a lazy...). Don't know if that mattered since this is my first and have nothing for comparison, just don't know how anything can be hotter and hope I don't run into a pod that is. ;)

Great looking peppers and photos SS. Where is the video?! Cant wait to see what you think of the douglah, that looks like a mean one. We probably were lucky with some early season pods but none the less it was one hot pepper.
Sorry, no vids for me over dial up. :(
I'm hoping to work my way down, so the Douglah will be next.
My hats off to anyone that can down a Brain Strain.

That's a whole lot of typing, vid is worth a million words. Damn glad you folks are telling me don't do this at home. You got cajones SS and dang nice looking pods
Dialup sux!

Cheese-n-rice man. This is a story you don't wanna read before going to bed. :eek:
I was right there with ya (in a sense), gratefully not experiencing first hand.
NOTE TO SELF: Self, (If) you ever try brain strain have family and close friends near. Priest if pod came from S_S's garden.

Almost forgot:For reasons not clear,I really dig looking at ripe peppers..GREAT PICS.
Thanks, I like sharp pics too and reviewing log histories.

I tried the brain strain and marouga blend the other day. Both are some mean bastards and way above the bhut IMO, but the marouga blend is the one that lit up my tongue and took about 10 sec to say WHOA!, while the brain strain hit the back of the throat worse and was an instant heat. In fact pretty much everything you said about the brain strain was what I felt and thought about the marouga blend. Don't get me wrong, the brain is evil, hot as hell, and the intensity and duration of the 2 were about the same. Definately not meant for fresh eating, either of them.

jacob
Varying intensity on the heat scale fluctuates widely across pods, even those from the same plant.

SS,

I hope you have not given up on your idea of doing a flavor comparison. Substituting Scotch Bonnet TFM and Chocolate Bhut with the Scorpion and the Naga, These are all the ones I was planning to hydro grow next season. I still have never seen anyone really rank or compare their flavor (even if the flavor only lasts a few seconds). I may have to move the Brain Strain to the garden and replace it with a Devil’s Tongue or a Burkina… something I can really use 20-30 pods from. Thanks and I hope it all works out in the end. (Sorry, had to say it)

Beaglestorm
I plan to continue with the Douglah, but will wait on my butt to say when it's OK to fire the next salvo.

Thanks for sharing your experience S. It must have been a hectic ride. I know that warm feeling in the gut all too well LOL. Hope you also share your experience with the Douglah. I hear it's hugely hot :)
Next on the list.

pretty cool.

I'm definitely interested as to how the Jamaican Hot Chocolate compares with a standard Choc Hab.

Also, I'm never eating a Brain Strain raw. You guys are all bat sh-- crazy.
Those will be at the bottom of the test order, but I'm curious if there is any difference between the two myself.

I can handle bhuts and scorpions (loosely put), but the 7 pods whip my ass every time. They have a devilish burn
I can't argue with that.

I love the running commentary SS.
I still hope for the option of cable or DSL one day, but for now text will have to paint the mental image.
I'm certainly no author and just a southern country boy doing the best with what he has. :)

Back