• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bigcedar 2019

[SIZE=11pt]Hi everyone! It’s been quite a few years since I’ve posted and after lurking around for the last couple months all excited about growing peppers again I decided it was time for a THP reunion :party:[/SIZE]  I’m happy to see a small handful of familiar faces still around and I’m Iooking forward to getting to know the rest of you guys and gals!

[SIZE=11pt]Quite a bit has changed in the last 6 years. Life was pretty crazy for awhile. The best news I feel like is that we are now homeowners on 5 acres. Left the rental in the city for a home in the country :) We lived in a trailer for 7 months while it was being built. It was one heck of an experience my family and I will never forget that’s for sure![/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]It’s been a full year since we got in our house. We absolutely love our house, we love living out in the country. Life is good. I spent last year planting stuff that takes a few years to produce well, an orchard, berries of all kinds, meadow flowers, and countless perennial flowers and trees. I swear I dug 3,000 holes last year. So this year it’s back to the important things, like growing chile peppers! I have some pretty intense ADHD like behaviors when it comes to hobbies. I’ve been borderline obsessed with quite a few in my days. I go big or go home and then I eventually get bored.. I find a new interest to obsess over and move on from the last. Growing peppers is the only hobby I’ve ever had that I always end up crawling back to. So here I am, growing some damn superhots again. A few months late, impulsive, but screw it, I’m going for it. A good 2 acres of the property is in full sun from sunup, to sundown and that’s double the direct sunlight that I’ve ever had in past grows, I’m okay with a game of catch up! [/SIZE]

N7c4nC9.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]Alright here we go.. Let the glog begin![/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Well first off, during the big move I lost, or threw away my superhot seed collection... It was a good 300 variety + collection. I treated my house like I was the DEA and my seed collection was 50 kilos of Columbian snow. I looked in, under, over, and to the side of everything we own. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Man that was hard to swallow! No reason to dwell though, time to start over. I’ve been out of the game so long that I’d never heard of White Hot Peppers but they had some cool varieties that I’ve never seen and I read some good things here. I cannot say enough good things myself. Super fast shipping, quality seeds and tons of freebies I wanted to buy but restrained myself from! I felt like a little kid at Christmas time opening up that package. Thanks alot WHP![/SIZE]

qiNRlwL.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]Time to plant some seeds! I normally would have liked to have these in dirt by the end of February at the latest. Well that time has past, better late than never. Planted 4.10 My plan is to OW anything I feel is worth it, I think I have room for 40-60 overwinters, so even if I don’t get pods of these, I’ll be completely okay with a large plant that I can OW that will kill it next year. I did cheat a little bit as well and have some plants coming any day from cross country nurseries :shh:[/SIZE]  (just in case I lose this game of catch up! It's my pod insurance policy!!)

NGBGGeR.jpg

gzKILfV.jpg

Typical rainy April day in Western Washington!

wLfuUbo.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]Another issue, I sold all of my HOT5’s, MH’s, HPS’s, and seed heating mats back in the "holy shit we need more money!" moving days. Living out in the country has a way of teaching you how to jerry-rig so with that said...  How do I heat up these seeds without spending money.. Rubbermaid, old pots, old flats, a reptile heating mat, a baby chick heat lamp, lid, reptile thermostat and…. Walaa! [/SIZE]

muZumTw.jpg

af05Obe.jpg

Yep.... that'll work!

It's pretty ghetto I know and a lot different than using all the fancy equipment that I've gotten use to over the years but it'll do I think!

Should be seeing sprouts soon, CCN plants are coming in any day and I do have a few nursery bought plants I'm testing some new soil out with right now while using my aquarium plant LED light  :lol:

I have a bad habit of overfilling my time plate if you will, and back in 2016 I did just that. I thought it would be a great idea to grow again even with all of life's other things going on at the time. I embarked on my largest superhot grow to date after taking 3 years off.. Well, I barely had time to sleep that year, seriously.. But! I did accomplish my biggest and best grow yet! It was flawless from start to finish. I was pretty damn proud of it! All the while wishing I had time to post about it here on THP and that time was definitely not there. So, with that said I have to just share a few pics from that grow.. It was pretty nuts, I ended up having to move right as the major harvesting was going on and intense processing was about to start. I barely got to enjoy any of the peppers, lost most of it due to needing to find a new home and fast but that was totally okay, I had a ton of fun that year, I proved myself to myself that year. It was good!  :)

July 2016

XhexB8N.jpg

My daughter jumping so I could see where she was at  :lol:
August..

ZL8VJql.jpg

September..

R0OFx4U.jpg

and.. October.

H5j34hj.jpg

DU82xV0.jpg

XMUlyzU.jpg

:cool:

Well, it's good to be back! I gotta start meeting new chile people and checking out all these glogs! Til next time!
Brandon

Hey, Brandon!

:woohoo: Superior PNW grow, my friend. Your grow makes
my attempt look almost pathetic! I haven't seen such consistent
gnarl across so many varieties very often. Well done!

Have you climbed out from under all those pods, yet?

The hybrids look awesome, as well. I am looking for some good
chocolate varieties, since my BJ chocolates have been disappointing
every season. Def up for a bit of seed swapping, buddy!

Really good to hear from you again. Would be cool to get together
this off-season sometime, but I know that's tough. 

Uncle_Eccoli said:
Well done, sir!  Great to see you back! 

Dammit, I'm interrupting again, huh..

Hey Unc! Thank you, good to back! Thanks for stopping by you can interrupt anytime my friend! Looking forward to catching up on your glog I hope it all turned out great for you! I see you gotta winter one goin too, looking forward to it!  :cool:

CaneDog said:
Damn  :shocked:

That pod that's first (green) and last (brown) looks like a puppy holding something in its mouth. 

Hey CD! Long time no chat buddy I hope you had a great season and all is well with you! Great eye, I didn't even notice that, you're spot on! lol. That was a seed saver for sure, maybe down the line I'll call it the Atomic Puppy  :lol: Looking forward to taking a stroll through CDs Hirsute Pursuit, thanks for stopping by great to hear from you man!

Mr.joe said:
Glad your alive. Either you have small hands or big pods. Well done sir

Thanks Joe! Lol. That's is too funny as I was posting the pictures I thought to myself, "Man.. some of these pods make my hands look small" :lol: I'd say atleast half of my plants only produced 5-10 pods each but most of them were monsters. I'm interested what they'll do next year after being overwintered come spring time.

DWB said:
Hey Brandon! I'm glad you're back with the great news. Your newest pepper garden did very well. Those are some beautiful pods. Some extremely gnarly varieties.

You gonna post up some good jungle shots?

Hey DW! Great to hear from you my friend! Can't wait to see how your jungle turned out! I bet you are neck deep in pods! Thank you for the kind words, the season turned out pretty dang good after all, I was shocked. It was the mildest summer that I can remember growing in. I did ripen up a good 20-30% of the harvest in the OW room so I guess I kinda cheated but hey, ya gotta bend the rules a little bit growing supers up here in Western WA lol. Believe it or not I didn't take any good jungle shots, why? I couldn't tell ya! I'll dig through my phone maybe there's a few I can upload.. Speaking of the jungle it was weird, I had some 3-4 foot plants that didn't produce a single pod and then some 2 footers that were loaded top to bottom. It was definitely a weird season for me, good, but weird! I'll take some OW room jungle shots for sure. I hope all is well with you buddy!

PtMD989 said:
Well done BigCedar [emoji106][emoji16]. All those pods look like they could put a hurting on someone [emoji16].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you sir!! They did as a matter of fact! I gave one of those gnarly brown hybrids to one of the guys I work with who didn't believe that superhots were as powerful as I was telling him.. I offered him 10 bucks to eat one of my peppers.. He ate it the other evening, paced around the house crying and twitching uncontrollably, spent the night groaning in his sleep according to his wife, laid in the bathtub for 3 hours the next morning and almost called in sick. He told me someone would have to offer him a 1000 dollars to ever do it again  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

PaulG said:
Hey, Brandon!

:woohoo: Superior PNW grow, my friend. Your grow makes
my attempt look almost pathetic! I haven't seen such consistent
gnarl across so many varieties very often. Well done!

Have you climbed out from under all those pods, yet?

The hybrids look awesome, as well. I am looking for some good
chocolate varieties, since my BJ chocolates have been disappointing
every season. Def up for a bit of seed swapping, buddy!

Really good to hear from you again. Would be cool to get together
this off-season sometime, but I know that's tough. 

Hey Paul! Thanks a lot for all the kind words my friend, coming from you that means alot! I do respectfully disagree with my grow making yours look almost pathetic though lol. I've learned a lot from you over the years and keeping up with your glog is inspiring to say the least. I think I speak for everyone when I say that! 

I'm almost done with pods for the year. My crisping drawer in the fridge is half full currently, been running my dehydrator for 2 months straight I think lol. I have a small-ish harvest still to come from the pods still ripening in the OW room and after that I should be officially out from under them! 

Glad you liked the hybrids, there was definitely some keepers in the mix this year! I got you on chocolate varieites  ;) those gnarly ones I posted grew really, really well in our climate. Huge pods, heavy producer, huge plant, rot and disease resistant, very good genetics. I left one of the 3 plants outside longer than I would have liked to (pruning all the OWs and bringing them in one at a time as time allowed me was a 3 week long project) anyway, it got down to 32 degrees a few weeks back, frost all across the field and that plant wasn't phased, alot of the other species were fried. I was shocked. It's indoors now happy and healthy.

It would be really awesome to get together again, my Wife agrees! Maybe do the seed swapping in person this time!  We should try to make something happen after the holiday seasons over.. Though I can always get the seeds out to you before hand if your starting up the 2020 season in November or December again. I'm pulling a you this year, my 2020s are just starting to sprout  :cool: no more late starts for me! 

Always great to hear from you my friend! 

Thanks for stopping by everyone! 

PtMD989 said:
Wow that’s hilarious , $10 for all that entertainment, that’s a good bargain [emoji16][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji106]. Too bad there’s no video [emoji16].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.joe said:
Yea the video would be gold. I convinced the guys asst work to have a small piece now they all know better than to trust me.

So, there is a video.. However he would not send it to me nor will he post it anywhere. He was too embarrassed about his reaction to let it leave his phone. After watching it I don't blame him, he repeatedly told his wife to stop filming him and get the camera out of his face as he was knee deep in panic mode, it was pure chaos.   :rofl:

I almost felt bad... Almost..  :lol:

My weekends wrapping up and its back to the daily grind tomorrow, figured I'd share a little pod/OW action from this weekend.

I've been pretty bad about collecting seed this year, need to be better about that. I guess knowing I'm overwintering the species I liked left it out of sight out of mind but then I got to thinking.. What if disaster strikes and I lose em all  :shocked: needless to say I started saving seed from the hybrids I don't have back stock seeds for and a few others. I wish there a was a faster way of collecting seeds, probably part of the reason I don't do it too much. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Was thinking about drying the seed savers at 100-105 next year, then taking them out like Paul does.. I feel like that's gotta be quicker than doing it fresh.. Anyway 

Bhutlah SM
lGYCcrg.jpg

JRGS X BBG7
O7EGn87.jpg

Hybrid
bER5QZ6.jpg

Off Pheno Brains
clv16Rx.jpg

Leviathan Scorpion
pu205By.jpg

Neon Burnt Orange Hybrid
t4sYRpB.jpg

Took a batch out of the dehydrator this afternoon, its ready for another refill
XAWdQ6r.jpg

Here's my dried super loot so far for the season, plus a few cayenne's. Most are gallon bags. Not quite old growth forest DW action but I'll take it  :lol:
DpIRxdZ.jpg

I took some OW room shots for ya'll, don't laugh, I know its ghetto but it's working lol.. The second I have the money for it a heated greenhouse is on the must have list! I messed around with the set up a lot, to make it more visually appealing and functional I guess, all those tries failed. I brought home some full sized plant racks with shelving from work in my saturn ion, the light coverage just wasn't there and believe it or not it took up more space in that tiny room than having them stacked on top of each other, staggered, on the floor in plant trays. Most have sprouted new shoots from the nodes I wanna say 5 or so haven't but seem to be alive. No bad bugs yet, I brought in a few spiders as you can imagine but I'm letting them be, I think they're controlling any gnats that pop up. Not a single sign of aphids and I only saw one all season outdoors, our property was literally crawling with ladybugs so my fingers are firmly crossed with that whole deal. And yes... As you can imagine watering is a bitch. Thankfully it only needs to be done every 2-3 weeks, harvesting is also a pain but worth it, kinda nice to still be picking peppers indoors in 82 degree weather in WA at this time of year lol.

Side note... I'd like to give my wife a shout out for letting me do this. True love right there  :lol:

So.. without measuring I wanna say the room is 8 by 10, it might even be smaller than that.. I'll have to do some real measurements here soon. In the pictures the door is at my back, I have foot or so walkway that gets me to the mid point in the room and that's about it. I couldn't have fit another plant in there if I tried, and yes, I did try  :lol:  Before bringing them in I removed all the immature branches and all the foliage, left the peppers, added a plant tray and that was it. 

Left side after walking in
AT7cj4h.jpg

Middle
FtBQwzs.jpg

And right side
KYSZZpu.jpg

Still got a few more to go before I can say I'm officially done picking for the year
IAinyWu.jpg

I got my 2020s in trays already. My late start ticked me off so I'm going super early this year, those plant racks will serve their purpose in our dining room soon.. I'm hopefully meeting a guy from offerup tomorrow and I'll be picking up 6 4ft8tube HOT5s for the new plants. Wasn't expecting a spout so soon so I had to transfer them into the OW room for a short time being, you can see it got a bit leggy, nothing that can't be fixed. CPR was the first to win the 2020 race  :cool:

v4NTN8c.jpg

:cheers:

You have more pods on those plants that
some people get all season!

Good luck getting your seeds done. It is kind
of tedious work, alright. Drying them at low
temp makes it much easier to get seeds when
they are strung out along the placental rib like
in BJ, and some of your hybrids above.

:eek: 48 4' T5HO tubes! You are going to need
sunscreen and goggles to go in the grow space!

Yes, your honey is a gem, alright!   :thumbsup:

Back