• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

BigDogDaddyPoppers

Ok, here is a picture, of the jalapeno poppers that my daughter and I made this past week. They are very tasty, and they are some of the best I have eaten so far to date....even better than the deep fried ones.

Here's the recipe:

Cut your peppers in half, remove the seeds and placental tissue. Fill the shell with cream cheese, and then put a slice of cheddar on top of that to seal the deal. Pre-cook your bacon(hickory smoked) for about a minute just to help get it where it needs to be.

Lay the bacon flat on the cutting board, lay the pepper half in the middle, wrap it around on both sides..stick a toothpick through the middle....and then it is ready for the cookie sheet.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. And once all your stuffed peppers are ready....put em in for 10-12 minutes....depending on how you like your bacon...and then you have some of the finest appetizers on the planet. Let me know if ya'all try this recipe....everyone who has tasted these loves them....ENJOY!!!

Here they are ready to go into the oven...

DSC00070.jpg

and here they are after the 10 minutes in the hot box...

DSC00071.jpg

My "little girl" Cat, also known around home as "Chef Cat" is in her third year of culinary arts instruction, and once her High School years are completed, is looking forward to going to New York and attending one of the finest culinary arts institutions in our country. She is just a part of my pride and joy. Ya'all have a good one!

BigDogDaddy said:
Ok, here is a picture, of the jalapeno poppers that my daughter and I made this past week.

My "little girl" Cat, also known around home as "Chef Cat" is in her third year of culinary arts instruction, and once her High School years are completed, is looking forward to going to New York and attending one of the finest culinary arts institutions in our country. She is just a part of my pride and joy. Ya'all have a good one!

Man, those look friggin AWESOME. I'm gonna have to get some jalapeno's now. I could make em with Caribbean Red's or Naga's but somethin tells me I wouldn't really enjoy them as much :mouthonfire:

Is your daughter gonna go to CIA up in Poughkeepsie, NY?
I used to work as a Sous Chef many moons ago and CIA was the
"premiere" school in the states to attend at that time.

Still the same?

Never went myself, but I was not really wanting a career as a Chef

I am pretty sure that is the same address. She has had this dream since she was about....10 or 11. Talk about a dedicated trooper.....she is really into wanting to be a chef and owning her own restaurant.... eventually(there goes my retirement).

Give the poppers a try, I am sure they will be fine with whatever heat level of peppers you enjoy.

I am buying her a real nice Chef Knife, and she doesn't know it yet, but for all the hard work she puts into what she does....it is merely a tool which will make her travels a little easier.

Let me know how the poppers turn out for you.

Have a good one!

BDD:hell:

Your daughter is dedicated alright. I hope she'll get where she wants to be. How long until she can attend the institution?

BigDogDaddy said:
I am buying her a real nice Chef Knife, and she doesn't know it yet, but for all the hard work she puts into what she does

BDD:hell:

Good choices:

Wusthof

Henkels/Zwilling

Looks like the Zwilling site is out of whack. No matter, most of the better stores
will carry one or both of these brands.

I prefer the Wusthof myself. My favorite and most used is the 8" Chef/Cook knife.
The length and curve of the cutting edge are perfect for fast slicing and chopping.
Thats what I use in my kitchen, but both of these are top
notch brands and the usual choice of most professional Chef's.

So are you looking to get knives for school or a single knife to start ?? because they sure do get expensive --

BTW nice poppers I will be making some this week a bit differently -- sO many peppers sO little time

Thanks for the comments, she is a junior in school right now so another year after this one and I will be eating macaroni and cheese every day so that she can attend CIA in New York. We are just going to start with the 8" Chef knife now, and then add to it as she goes along. She is bigtime dedicated to being a chef and having her own place some day....so I will do whatever I can to help her achieve her dreams. Plus she is Daddy's little girl...so she pretty much knows she can get Daddy to cater to her ...but hey, ya only get one chance to raise em, right?? Spoil the hell out of em! That's what I say.

I like the wusthof, and remember the name from Germany when I was stationed there(9yrs). But still haven't decided 100% yet.

I would have made some with habaneros as well, but the ones at the store had mold on em, so I just stuck with the jalapenos. I'll have some habs next season, for sure.:hell::hell:

Sickmont said:
The Wusthof's really nice, but my sister is a chef and caterer and she's got an 8" Kershaw Shun Ken Onion chef's knife and it's about the most bad ass kitchen utensil i've ever handled. I couldn't believe how balanced and fast it is.

http://www.surlatable.com/gs/shun-ken-onion-chef-s-knife-8-knives-cutlery-23.shtml

Plus, they're super cool looking to boot.

I have a couple higher end Katana's and a Wakizashi (Japanese swords) that I use for Iaido and tamishigiri.

This Shun Ken Onion blade sounds like it would be right at home in my collection :)

$200.00 is pretty pricey for a chef knife. The Wusthof's are around $110.00 - $120.00. Still not cheap but a little more affordable

Skyjerk said:
I have a couple higher end Katana's and a Wakizashi (Japanese swords) that I use for Iaido and tamishigiri.

This Shun Ken Onion blade sounds like it would be right at home in my collection :)

$200.00 is pretty pricey for a chef knife. The Wusthof's are around $110.00 - $120.00. Still not cheap but a little more affordable

I've seen them for around $180, but thats still a bit steep for my taste. My sis bought hers 2 years ago as a gift to herself when she nailed down a large corporate contract for her catering business. She wanted something nice, very sharp and really cool looking that she could abuse.

Nice looking poppers BDD. If you want to check out those knives that were mentioned, there is a store that carries them all called Le Gourmet Chef in the Tanger Outlets on rt 30 just east of Lancaster and across from Dutch Wonderland.

I bought this set of Wusthof's Christmas 2006 and got a block free with lifetime free sharpening for somewhere around $500...seems they were listed at about 750 but they had a pre-christmas sale going on...soooooo...my vote is wusthof....I know some of them are dirty, I have not washed dishes yet today....they are the best knives I have ever owned....

093008b004.jpg

That is awesome AJ....do you just send them back when they need sharpened? Is that a standing offer on their knives or was that just a deal you got? I am pretty much convinced togo with Wusthof...I can get a Classic Ikon 3 piece starter set for $190.

Is that a fair deal?

It has the 3.5" paring knife, the 8" carver, and the 8" cooks(chef) knife. I need to search the web a bit for prices, but that seems to be looking good to me so far.:hell:

Probably 5-6 miles. You take rt 30 until you start hitting lights and it is about 3/4 mile on right. Look for Dutch Wonderland and it's across the street. (The Tanger outlets, the store is all the way at the top in the back.)

Back