• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Biggest tomato, or tomato plant smackdown

Show off your big stuff here:cool:
I haven't weighed or measured any of my toms yet but I've probably had a few around a pound an a half or so, including German red strawberry and Summer cider (which has such a beautiful colorer flesh). In general, its another pretty bad year for big toms but this recent warm sunny spell should help

Here's some big cherry tomato plants

Reisetomate in a container, somewhat supported but falling all over
3809297950_740386c494.jpg

Snow white and black cherry toms growing up 'ladders' The black cherries are always amazing producers, but not my favorite for taste. I'm still waiting for the snow whites
3809361386_57e95d7196.jpg

I've got a couple of plants that are 5+ feet tall but I generally don't go for tall plants. Plus many of mine are determinants.

Mike

I can't compete...my tomato season is over...pulling plants tomorrow to make room for my spreading pepper plants...

I had one tomato on my pruden's purple plant that overflowed my two hands cupped.

Went away for a few days to a convention. Came back and the mice had eaten the ENTIRE THING and left just the stem and some core on the plant :(

That was the BIGGEST and most perfect tomato I had ever seen too. Too bad it didn't get a chance to fully ripen. :(

I'm growing a few different 'big' toms this season. One if the Hugh's and the toms are meant to grow up to 2 pounds in good conditions....and from what the weather man is saying we will be getting great conditions this summer.....Hell it's still winter here and we are getting 26 degree C days...which is well above average

In CT there is a terrible tomato blight -- farmers and home growers = FAIL I pullled all my plants and tossed them to the garbage --
http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-tomato-blight-update0812.artaug12,0,1647898.story

An excerpt --
As late blight — the fungus that destroyed the potato crop in Ireland in the mid-19th century — continues to spread, Connecticut tomato farmers say many of their plants have been wiped out.

Since the first case of late blight was found on a commercial farm in early July, even the most vigilant farmers have lost many tomato plants. Urban Oaks Organic Farm in New Britain has lost at least 80 percent of its 7,000 tomato plants to late blight, said general manager Mike Kandefer. He estimated that the 3½-acre farm will lose about $100,000 in sales.

Although the farm tried to prevent late blight by respraying the tomato crop — which represents 60 percent of what the farm plants — with organic fungicides after every rain, the fungus appeared three weeks ago.

On the upside peppers are doing ok and my onions and squash are having a good season

I have two plants(Early Girl & Better Boy) in 5 gallon containers. About 4 ft tall. Nothing special and no big ones. Picked about 60 total so far.

My toms are usually well over 6 and 7 feet tall and produce more fruit than I know what to do with.
This year I'm going to be struggling to make enough salsa for the winter.

I still haven't got any over 1 1/2 pounds this year although the animals munched a few huge ones:(
I think this one is an Omar's Lebanese, and its just over 1 1/4 pounds
3840022162_a9cb7d3ebf.jpg

I just went out and picked some maters for a guy who want to buy them - but I found one that has to be close to 2 pounds and it hasn't finished growing yet - close to half of it is still green. Too dark to get a pick if I wanted (the 'squitos are real bad today!) but if the squirrels or possum doesn't get it, it will compete in any smackdown!

Mike

Here's a couple of Black from Tula toms, the bigger one is just over 1.5 pounds. Some love the black tomatoes but so far they really aren't my favorites
3848661122_865c719901.jpg

BrianS said:
Here is a KBX mater I grew this year
2qdsn50.jpg

Aww Brian! You gotta warn us before you go and post something like that! I temporarily lost the ability to see in my left eye from cuteness overload. :shocked:

Back