• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

bigjohns 2012 growlog

DSCN3400.jpg
DSCN3440-1.jpg
DSCN3435.jpg
DSCN3434.jpg
DSCN3429.jpg
DSCN3393.jpg
DSCN3391.jpg
DSCN3395.jpg
DSCN3085.jpg
DSCN2783-1.jpg

some of my sleeping beauty's and a few clones looking amazing, around 150-200 plants

Nice plants you got going! You using T12'S? It looks like your using the white or yellow bulbs. I suggest using florecent 6500K for growth and 2700K for flowering. You can mix them up too

Welcome to THP btw :)

Wow great looking plants. Would love to grow that many what pepper is that in the last picture. Good luck through your season. Welcome from LA

[sub]Thanks guys, the bulbs I use are T12 Agrosun full spectrum. I started most of my seedlings in November this year to see if I have a better harvest for 2012. We will see. I started another batch of 72+ tray two weeks ago and most sprouts are already up. I have a agrosun bulb with a heatmat and two trays of seedlings inside a 55 gallon fish tank, I cover the top of tank to keep it in between 80-90degrees. The last photo is of my Malaysian Goronong, second or third generation plant. I was really surprized this year with the amount of white flies/aphids that attacked my plants while indoors. Flying everywhere and laying eggs. I was at war with these guys for a good 2-3 weeks. I have managed to keep their population down with warm soapy water. So far so good. Will you keep you all posted with photo updates.[/sub]

Thanks SST and everyone else. I have only been growing for a couple years, pretty new and have a lot to learn about peppers, plants and all the other goodies. Best way I can discribe it, I got some kind of bug that makes me obsess about peppers, plants , harvest and everything in between. I think my wife thinks that I am having an affair in my garage i spend so much time messing with my plants. haha Glad to finally be on THP

Big John, Big John-nnn, Big Bad John-- Sorry, old folk moment there.

Nice set up, almost too nice. But I'm worried your flies/aphids problem (likely from the over-wintered plants) will spread and hinder the baby seedlings. Once the foliage increases on the over-winters, its going to be even harder to control. Make sure you got the enemy bugs proper ID and commence extreme countermeasures.

Siliman- He stood 6'6" and weighed 245 everybody knew it was the end of the line for BigJohn. haha. Ya I am not 100% sure exactly what the bugs are, had a friend ID them. I washed off most of the eggs but I looked last night and they seem to be making a come back, flies and eggs. This is real common I have heard from many "pros" that you place plants inside for the winter and you take away all natural enemies of any bug, so hopefuly I can keep them down without to much damage to the plants for when I place them outside in March or early April. Any suggestions? I am all ears

go chemical ;)
nuke the bastards

or try to have some ladybug to help you

once got a beep load of aphid on a tree... use just some "raid" directly on them kaboom the next day all dead and turn from green to black.
that help the tree a lot to continue it's growth

I was dealing with aphids on an over wintered pepper and I'm afraid they won. I couldn't use any chemicals due to other "good" bugs in the house. At first my goal was to kill'em all but that failed so keeping them under control was my next goal. You have to stay on them every day or forget it, they win. With all my new seedlings beginning to show I had to do something drastic so I took it outside in the cold, single digit temps. I would love to see the plant survive but I have zero expectations. I hate aphids.

Best of luck to you John.

2012 growlist-
Bhut Jolokia - yellow, red, chocolate,peach, Giant and Indian Carbon Assam
Bih Jolokia
Butch T from US, Australia, UK, Brasil
Trinidad Mouruga blend
Dorset Naga
Red Savina Habanero
White Habanero
Habalokia
Chocolate Habanero
Lemon Habanero
Red Habanero
Orange Habanero
7pot Jonah
7pot yellow large
7Pot brainstrain
7pot trinidad douglah
7pot brown
7pot original
7pot barrackpore
peter pepper
fatali
peri-peri
congo trinidad scorpion
red rocoto
Poblano
Devils tongue
Wildtepin
Chilitepin
CGN22869
Chili De Agua
Aji amni color
Cayenne orange & red slim
Scotch Bonnet red, yellow and chocolate
Naga Viper
Yellow lemon
Red Sqaush
Aji Pacha
Aji Amarillo
Bombay Morich

Thanks, i think the next step is getting some ladybugs maybe. Are they active and productive during the winter? LAdybugs?

Great shots, give a try to Neemazal / Azatrol against aphids. Its a bio remedy obtained from neem and can be used as soil drench as well.
I prefer a natural approach before using strong chemicals and harming useful bugs but if all fails Confidor (Imidacloprid) is your last weapon.

Cya

Datil

...with jacks and timbers they went back down...

That Neemazal / Azatrol sounds interesting. I like Neem + soap, but something that works as a soil drench might be important for you. Last year I used a lot of Safers insecticidal soap, which knocks aphids back (works on contact) but must be re-applied every 5 days or so. Becomes a massive chore. I battled until I could get ladybugs in action. They work!--on aphids--not sure about the white flies.

Here's a link to discussion about another product several on the forum have tried. Nobody has reported a fail yet. It is a mix of sulphur and pyrethrins.
Bonide Citrus, Fruit & Nut Orchard Spray

For now, I'd isolate the buggy plants from the seedlings. Take them outside and really work them over with whatever product you get. Keep in a separate room from the babies if possible. I regard my over-winters as expendable, but you might feel differently since you've got some beauties there.

Nice grow list! Matched you on 10 of those. Good luck.... :cool:

Back