• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Black Prince |black pearl

My tip is to keep Black Pearl plants away from dogs - they love eating them. My staffy ate two of them when they were seedlings and this is my third one. SHe did eat this one too but there was a little bit of a stalk left and one leaf. I kept watering it and it ended up growing into this:

036654817717468dafaa61a78ba51a9b

The fruit stays black for a long time but they finish off in a red colour.
ea75bb7289674c0298059d39f442e21e

Hi Mate, Candace put up the Black Pearl

Sooooooooo here is the Black Prince.. for you and Crail was suppose to send pics, but forgot. sorry dude

blackPrincemother.jpg

blackprincepod.jpg

the red they go Is Awesome as its a Blackish Red and would make and Excellent Lipstik/nail polish colour for Goth Chicks..

they don't taste that crash hot, but look coool.. if ya want a realllllly Nice Tasting Black Plant, the "Chilli Costa rica" Love them as have a saltyish taste

Some info on the black pearl: the black pearl is an f8 and its parents are the royal black and an un-named plant with green foliage and round red pods.

theHippySeedCo said:
Hi Mate, Candace put up the Black Pearl

Sooooooooo here is the Black Prince.. for you and Crail was suppose to send pics, but forgot. sorry dude

blackPrincemother.jpg

blackprincepod.jpg

the red they go Is Awesome as its a Blackish Red and would make and Excellent Lipstik/nail polish colour for Goth Chicks..

they don't taste that crash hot, but look coool.. if ya want a realllllly Nice Tasting Black Plant, the "Chilli Costa rica" Love them as have a saltyish taste

Yeah I have a Costa Rica too. It was given to me in a bit of a sad state and I think it is ready for winter now. So hopefully it survives and comes back better. It looks like it will be nice though. Have you got any pics Neil? Mine is just a couple of stems with 2 or 3 fruit on it :(

The Prince 2 Yrs Old and doesnt get attacked by much, strong hardy and look Excellent..

Chilli Costa Rica the European award winner (dunno where or what but says) an Ornamental and gets to bout 40cm, saltyish tasting pods

CostaRica-1.jpg

CostaRica1.jpg

Black Pearl

Here's a couple of snaps of my little 16 inch pearl started from seed 2/20/09 and growing in an 8.5in x 6in deep pot. Probably time to pot up, huh... :lol:

This is my second year trying to grow unusual and unusually hot peppers, so I'm just a noob at this. When I found this site it was like finding the great "HOW TO" reference manual for peppers, so I plan on making this one of my frequent stops. Thanks for the great site and terrific pics guys!

DSCN0287.jpg

DSCN0286.jpg

Guys! Did anyone sow own seeds of Black pearl? I wonder if it will crack... They say it's F1 so the seedlings would differ from mother plant and from each other.

Jah said:
Guys! Did anyone sow own seeds of Black pearl? I wonder if it will crack... They say it's F1 so the seedlings would differ from mother plant and from each other.

I didn't plant my own seeds but got my seeds from someone that did save seeds from from the previous year. No cracking so far and the plant looks true to type, judging from the other web pics I've seen.

POTAWIE said:
Black Pearl is apparently an f8, but I've heard of people getting different phenotypes
F8 would never be stable if F1's parents were different :) I mean all the F8 seedlings will differ a little between each other. I guess they're or F1 or stable var.
Some sellers say they're F1 btw.

Most sites say this "Black Pearl is a true-breeding F8 selection derived from an initial cross between a purple foliage selection identified from a segregating population of the variegated heirloom pepper cultivar Royal Black and an unnamed selection bearing green foliage and clusters of round red fruit"

So it's stable enough :)
There are only two ways to get any variety's seeds. First is to stabilize it and get seeds from self-pollinated fruits. And second is to breed two homozygoted plants to get F1 hybrid with known properties. So if they say Black Pearl is F8 than that means that THE FIRST Black Pearl plant was one of F8 from that breed and the next generations resemble it well enough.
Thanx for discussion. There's no any better way to find it out than to sow some seeds. Luckily I already have some berries ripen :)

Back